Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 15 Jun 2017 (Thursday) 22:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD, reviewed by Mike Photo

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Mike Photo (showing now: Mike Photo)
Overall Rating8.5
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money10
Bokeh8
Sharpness8.5
Contrast9
Focusing10
Must Have7.5
Suitability to Intended Use9.5
Got What I Expected8
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD

Mike ­ Photo
Joined Apr 2006
Boston, Ma
Jun 15, 2017 22:00 |  #1

So Tamron sent me the newest version of their 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD to test out and I wanted to share some of my thoughts with the community.

I wrote out a full in depth review with examples etc... over at Fstoppers.com (external link) So please head over there and check it out if youre looking for a affordable wide angle APS-C lens.

To start off with this lens is a major improvement from it previous version in almost all ways. More glass, better design and added image stabilization. Not to mention weather sealing and compatibility with Tamron's new TAP-In USB console.

Its sharpness is much better then I would expect edge to edge from a 3rd party lens of this price range and at the center is considerably sharp through out the aperture range. Like most wide angle lenses there will be distortion but its not bad at 10mm easily fixable in post and nearing 15mm no longer an issue. The vibration control is an added bonus for a wide and will be very useful for video shooters.

Also of note the lens is technically an EF mount lens so usable on a full frame camera although not at its widest it should still be a pretty decent wide angle lens with VC.

Overall I think if you're in the market for a wide but just don't need to have the best and most expensive lens for your kit this is a great alternative. it has the newer build quality of Tamrons SP lenses which is similar to Sigmas Art series which Has been a huge quality improvement from the old days of 3rd party lenses.

What I Liked

Vibration Compensation (VC)
Weather sealing
TAP-In USB Console
Overall sharpness for its price range
Much nicer body design and look

What I Didn't Like

Variable aperture. However might not matter to a lot of users
HLD motor noisy for video

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Instagram (external link)
MIKE PHOTO
Bodies:Canon 7D mII, Canon 7D(Gripped)
Lenses: Canon 70-200 L, Canon 50 1.4, Canon EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 II(reversed element for macro), Sigma Art 18-35 1.8, Tamron 24-70 2.8

860 views & 1 like for this thread
Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD, reviewed by Mike Photo
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.