Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports
Thread started 19 Jun 2017 (Monday) 15:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My Son on his Motorbike...newbie first editing attempt...C&C please

Kristine2514
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Jun 19, 2017 15:08 |  #1

Hi everyone

OK, I have only been at this for two months...extreme newbie. So I posted a before and after photo of my son at a gravel pit on his bike. I have been busy learning my camera, lenses and so forth so this is my very first attempt at editing in Photoshop Elements. I would really appreciate some C&C. The more I look at it, the more I doubt myself. Too bright, too dark, too this, too that. So to have comments form people with experience would be great. I think it's not horrible, considering that its my first kick at the can? Ahh, I don't know. Thank you for any comments. First photo is the unedited, second is my first go at editing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EOS 30D

MattyB
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
Queenstown, NZ
Jun 19, 2017 15:20 |  #2

The more I look at it, the more I doubt myself. Too bright, too dark, too this, too that.

Yup, everyone suffers that. It'll either crush your spirit or teach you to have confidence in your processes.

Did you shoot this in RAW?

Any reason for using Elements instead of Lightroom?

It's a good edit. I'd say it's too tight of a crop, both in general and especially being a shot of a bike in motion. Apart from that, I see no obvious faults or improvements needed.

Matt Bennell
Camera: Canon EOS 80D DSLR Black
Extras: 18-55mm, 10-18mm, Tripod, ND8
Field: These days you'll likely be seeing plenty of Nature and Landscape posts :lol:
New Site In Progress -> bennell.co.nz (external link)

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Jun 19, 2017 15:35 as a reply to MattyB's post |  #3

Thank you for your comment. Yes it's shot in RAW. I didn't notice this one was in motion until after obsessively studying it during editing. I thought "he's either in motion or has EXTERMELY good balance!" Lol. OK so I will keep in mind that I need to watch the cropping. I see that especially for motion, more of the photo would have been better. I don't have Lightroom, just elements, with NIK plugin. My thinking is that after I learn Elements inside and out, plus get more experience shooting, I will reward myself with buying Lightroom.

EOS 30D

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Jun 19, 2017 16:42 |  #4

Ok, this is a pretty darn decent first try, certainly way better than I did, so be aware I only want to help you improve, and help train your eye, and there is really not a ton wrong with the picture over all.

1. cloning mistake on the camera right hand.. pretty decent job but you will have more luck if you select and clone, then select a different spot and clone, rather than only do one swipe with the clone stamp the same distance for the whole clone.

2. something funky happened on the highlight areas on the bottom gravel of the rocks... something got a bit too over done/highlights clipped/lumanance pulled down

3. took out that black rock pile pretty darn good.

definitely enhanced the photo with the elements you removed, just have to keep practicing on how you do it, and you'll be better, fast.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Jun 19, 2017 17:41 as a reply to ksbal's post |  #5

Thank you for you input...ok I know what's going on with those rocks. In NIK, I did a darker blue vignette to get more emphasis on the sky. Then I removed the vignette from the other areas but I see that I wasn't thorough enough. So I ended up not getting all of the blue off of those rocks. And, yes, I just drug that clone stamp. Not the best result. That teaches me not to go the "lazy" route, especially at the primitive stage that I'm in with editing. ߘ

EOS 30D

701 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Son on his Motorbike...newbie first editing attempt...C&C please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.