Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk
Thread started 21 Jun 2017 (Wednesday) 02:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I just can't seem to get this crystal clear IQ

JPJ2007
120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Tennessee
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by JPJ2007. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 21, 2017 02:19 |  #1

Hey guys, So I'm trying to nail down where I can improve and I know there's plenty of areas. Lots.

I'm more of a Run & Gun guy, my clients don't want Magazine Quality Images for their homes because they're selling 200k homes the same day it lists...

Regardless, I'm always trying to improve and pretty hard on myself so I'm asking for help.

T3I, Sigma 10-20 dc-hsm 1:4-5.6
Manfrotto Tripod and a Newwer 660 II Speedlight.

I try a couple of different methods but haven't nailed anything down.
Bracket shots normally consist of 3 bracket shots 1 stop or 2 stops apart. If I feel like I need to I'll do a 5 bracket shot all 1 stop apart. -2 -1 0 +1 +2
I've had pretty terrible luck fusing brackets in Photomatrix that I bought after trying photoessentials. I just seem to ever work very well.
I seem to have better luck doing a couple stops with a good flash bounce. It never seems consistant. And the lens seems really soft around the edges to a point it worries me.

Here's my goal one day. These appear multi bracket and fused and combo with flash...

https://www.realtracs.​net ...YhbQMHwh6mykIdHa1WG​ipl!pX (external link)

Here's my work with more under listing tab at the top.

Todays Shoot....
http://www.southernhom​ephotos.com/salem-glen-crossing/ (external link)

As far as pp goes, I have CS5. So I import photos, browse the ones I like and open them in raw and make all my adjustments etc....

Canon t3i, Sigma 10-20.

sponsored links
jnecr
Joined Sep 2015
Raleigh, NC
Jun 22, 2017 08:32 |  #2

I think your photos are acceptably sharp. Remember, of course, that most people look at each photo for just a couple seconds. The photographers are the only ones who pixel peep.

With that said... I had the same lens you are using, Sigma 10-20mm and was not happy with it's sharpness. I got a used Canon 10-22 off Craigslist for ~$250 and have been much happier. However, since then I've upgraded to a Canon 6D and 17-40mm f/4. My main real estate camera will still be the Canon 70D with 10-22, but I took the 6D out a few times and I've found the 17-40mm to be considerably sharper than the 10-22. But again, nobody will really care but me, and that's why I'll stick to using the 70D for MLS listings, and will use the 6D for other purposes.

What jumped out to me in the following photos is just how much sharper the 17-40mm is for the range grills.

Photo with the 6D and 17-40mm:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Same technique but with the 70D and 10-22mm:

HOSTED PHOTO

-John

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,932 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. 4 edits done in total.
Jun 22, 2017 21:12 |  #3

The 7D will require some sharpening to match the FF, especially with the 10-22. 2 different runs of USM (or Smart Sharpen) will do the trick. And having the grill closer on the FF and farther away on the 7D isn't helping the comparison. I have a real estate action developed just for shots my wife takes of her listings. 1 USM filter for micro contrast and 1 Smart Filter...

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

davesrose
Goldmember
2,785 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jun 23, 2017 19:13 |  #4

Agree with others that it's a matter of sharpening. I'm actually unimpressed with your target goal photos: for me, the exposure seems too flat with outdoor shots. HDR bracketing a scene that isn't clipping in your whites or blacks just flattens overall contrast. Having a range of contrast makes for a more dynamic and 3 dimensional photo.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

JPJ2007
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Tennessee
Jun 25, 2017 00:30 |  #5

Thanks everyone.

When I open a raw photo in cs5 I get the initial adjustment box before it imports into cs5. I do a lot of adjustments there.
Sharpening is always something I do, and it's pretty consistant. I sharpen to 100, and sometimes add noise reduction to 50.

I absolutely agree my images seem flat sometimes. I try adding some contrast but it seems like anything more than a little ruins the photo.

I want to upload a couple of raws so you guys can hopefully help me out, I am sure it's a combination of how I take the photos and the workflow.
I just can't seem to get the bracketed shots to fuse together in PhotoMatrix or cs5 so I basically take a couple of them (ie the exterior and crop it and overlay it into the 1st photo)

Would drop box be the best place to share raw photos?

And I want to upgrade my equipment, it's just going to take a few more houses to be able to.
I just bought an DJI Osmo for interior Walk throughs, and it looks like this weeks jobs will pay for that so next will be a new body/lens.
Agent said a prev photographer flew his drone through the house, im not doing that.... lol

Canon t3i, Sigma 10-20.

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Jun 28, 2017 08:54 |  #6

If you are shooting at ISO100 (as you should) 50 noise reduction is too much. Use between 10 and 20.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

JPJ2007
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Tennessee
Jul 04, 2017 00:21 |  #7

ok thanks

Canon t3i, Sigma 10-20.

JPJ2007
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Tennessee
Jul 04, 2017 00:22 |  #8

So your method on those photos is bracket and merge? If so what program. If not are you using flash?

Canon t3i, Sigma 10-20.

sponsored links

788 views & 1 like for this thread
I just can't seem to get this crystal clear IQ
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.