Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 23 Jun 2017 (Friday) 19:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lens cleanig fluid?

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Toronto, Canada
Jun 23, 2017 19:56 |  #1

Dear forum members,

Where can I buy lens cleaning fluid?
Now let me just tell you I see all these "lens cleaning kits" that come with not only lens cleaning fluid, but other staff like clothes, brushes, etc...
Now I don't want that kits because I already have clothes/brushes from previous kits that I bought but my lens cleaning fluid is about to run out.

Basically I just want to know where can I buy a decent amount of lens cleaning fluid to last me a while without all the extra accessories?

Thanks!

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880
Website - http://www.shotlifestu​dio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,711 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jun 23, 2017 21:33 |  #2

https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/32033​50 (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Ramon-uk
Joined Mar 2006
Jun 24, 2017 04:10 |  #3

Lens cleaning fluid seems to come in 2 basic recipes, firstly there ones that are made from distilled water with a tiny amount of soap/detergent added, secondly there are the solvent types that usually contain isoproponal or methanol.

Both types work well, the solvent types are better at removing really bad greasy deposits, neither type should be applied directly to the lens , you should spay them onto a clean lens cloth and use that to clean the lens.

The easiest and cheapest place to buy the water based cleaner is your local opticians or chemist/drug store where it is sold as spectacle cleaner.

mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Jun 24, 2017 06:11 |  #4

Usually I just dry clean my lenses using a microfiber cloth. When I do need to wet clean them, I use Eclipse solution from Photographic Solutions. It's highly purified methanol and it dries without any residue.

http://photosol.com/pr​oducts/eclipse-optic-fluid/ (external link)

A few drops on one of their PEC Pads usually does the trick.

Mike

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,280 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jun 24, 2017 09:44 |  #5

Whatever is handy. Windex, breath moisture, weak vinegar solution, water, my wife's lens (glasses) cleaner. Solution is applied to micro-fiber cloth, or a cotton t-shirt. It is really difficult to damage lens coatings.

Tom

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,002 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jun 24, 2017 10:05 |  #6

Van Gogh wrote in post #18385497 (external link)
Dear forum members,

Where can I buy lens cleaning fluid?
...!

Amazon has lots.
Teeny tiny (external link)
16oz (external link).
Life time supply (external link).

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

CheleA
Joined Jul 2014
Jun 24, 2017 15:35 |  #7

For the last two years I have been buying eyeglasses cleaning towelettes. I get them from Walmart or Target, they are about $4 for 50-60 packets. I like Target's better because they are not as wet as the ones at Walmart and are less likely to leave streaks on the lenses. Obviuosly, you need to dust off any loose particles on the glass before you wipe it.

https://www.target.com ...ct-up-up-153/-/A-15022894 (external link)

sponsored links

3,870 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens cleanig fluid?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.