Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 26 Jun 2017 (Monday) 20:53
Prev/next

Finding Subjects for Fitness, Bikini & Topless -- TFP/TFS/TFCD

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Jun 26, 2017 20:53 |  #1

Suggestions on finding people to shoot that will work on trade? Note: I have no interest in and won't do full nudes.
I have what I think is a decent portfolio, though I have nothing of this style.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

tdlavigne
303 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Jun 27, 2017 17:27 |  #2

If you don't have topless work in your portfolio, then it's going to be hard to find models to shoot it with you for trade. You can find some if you have other strong things in your portfolio that they need though, but until you have a strong portfolio of nudity then you'll likely shoot lower quality girls until you can prove that you can shoot a tasteful image. To a lesser extent the same is true of fitness/bikini. It all really depends on how good you are at the other stuff you shoot, and if that's something the model can find use for. TFP doesn't have to mean "you trade your time for my photos", it can mean "You show up and I shoot concept x for you, and you shoot concept y for me".

Step one is to market the hell out of your work and create a demand for it. Then when models come looking to shoot you can propose a trade of my concept for your concept. Or you can try a site like modelmayhem (just be prepared for the PITA that site is though) or a local Facebook group, instagram, etc...and just ask people if they want to shoot. They'll usually ask "What is the concept/What did you have in mind?", to which you would do best to reply with something that you're good at (ex. headshots or beauty) and then ask if they might be ok with trying one other idea (be specific and use example photos or mood boards if possible) involving bikini or topless. Some will say yes, some will say no. Doesn't hurt to ask.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Jun 27, 2017 17:33 |  #3

tdlavigne wrote in post #18388415 (external link)
If you don't have topless work in your portfolio, then it's going to be hard to find models to shoot it with you for trade. You can find some if you have other strong things in your portfolio that they need though, but until you have a strong portfolio of nudity then you'll likely shoot lower quality girls until you can prove that you can shoot a tasteful image. To a lesser extent the same is true of fitness/bikini. It all really depends on how good you are at the other stuff you shoot, and if that's something the model can find use for. TFP doesn't have to mean "you trade your time for my photos", it can mean "You show up and I shoot concept x for you, and you shoot concept y for me".

Step one is to market the hell out of your work and create a demand for it. Then when models come looking to shoot you can propose a trade of my concept for your concept. Or you can try a site like modelmayhem (just be prepared for the PITA that site is though) or a local Facebook group, instagram, etc...and just ask people if they want to shoot. They'll usually ask "What is the concept/What did you have in mind?", to which you would do best to reply with something that you're good at (ex. headshots or beauty) and then ask if they might be ok with trying one other idea (be specific and use example photos or mood boards if possible) involving bikini or topless. Some will say yes, some will say no. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Interesting comments on trade vs concept.

I'm on MM, but it's useless for finding models because of the where I live.

So, basically - build my business in general, shoot models in general, and then when the models know me - ask if they're up for shooting topless.

That's what I was expecting I'd have to do...

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

tdlavigne
303 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Jun 27, 2017 17:41 as a reply to icor1031's post |  #4

Yeah, it's kind of a slow process. Took me maybe 2-3 years of shooting non-nude stuff before I was able to find models willing to trade my clothed work for nude work from them. And about 2-3 more on top of that before models would reach out to me specifically for nude work. Best way is to find something that there aren't a bunch of local photographers shooting, or at least there aren't many good ones shooting it; and then focus on that. The easy one that I see a lot of photographers ignore or do poorly at is any type of headshot (commercial or actors) or beauty photography (ie. Clairol ads), and also cutesy short fashion/commercial videos.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Jun 27, 2017 17:45 as a reply to tdlavigne's post |  #5

Yes sir, most photographers that I've seen are bad at doing portraits. The ones that have a decent portfolio tend to have gotten it by chance: they let the subject move freely, and they happened to take a picture at the right time. It must take along time to build a port that way!

Did you get to where you earn any money from doing nude or topless?

tdlavigne
303 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Jun 27, 2017 20:23 as a reply to icor1031's post |  #6

No, I never tried to charge for nude/topless work. There were a couple implied nude/topless paid gigs, but not really what I'd consider "nude". Those are few and far between though. In the industry I'm in (the outskirts of commercial/fashion) there's not much demand/need for nudity for myself or the models and clients I work with (clothing lines, so that by definition means nudity is pointless lol); so it's slim to no chance I'd ever get paid for it regularly. I thought of switching to glamour a while back, but I have too much time invested in where I'm at now to start over. I do know a pair of glamour guys who get paid apparently really well by models, but they're pretty well established in their niche. I don't do as much nude photography as I used to, but from time to time I'm content shooting one look, then the rest is various clothed ideas I had anyway.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,187 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jun 27, 2017 21:44 |  #7

I had maybe a dozen clothed shoots under my belt before I posted my first tfp bikini post on craigslist. A couple of those down and I posted for implied/nude. Out of 100 inquiries 10 are good. You get good at weeding out the garbage real quick.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by icor1031. 3 edits done in total.
Jul 02, 2017 13:56 |  #8

Disregard this post, I decided to run a survey to answer my question.

959 views & 0 likes for this thread
Finding Subjects for Fitness, Bikini & Topless -- TFP/TFS/TFCD
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.