Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 28 Jun 2017 (Wednesday) 14:44
Prev/next

About guy's stuff...

this thread is locked
icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by icor1031. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 28, 2017 14:44 |  #1

Please don't think I'm being perverted. It's a blunt question that needs an answer: what happens if you're doing bikini shots, or less, and you have an UNWANTED physical response? ... Is it possible to hide it? How? And even if you're able to hide it, can you hide it completely?

What if the model notices before you're able to, does she get offended or scared?

Perhaps this is a naive question, in which case I apologize. To understand better: I'm a bookworm, I've been quite secluded - I don't know what to expect, but I know I sure hope that doesn't happen.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,027 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Jun 28, 2017 14:56 |  #2

icor1031 wrote in post #18389121 (external link)
Please don't think I'm being perverted. It's a blunt question that needs an answer: what happens if you're doing bikini shots, or less, and you have an UNWANTED physical response? ... Is it possible to hide it? How? And even if you're able to hide it, can you hide it completely?

What if the model notices before you're able to, does she get offended or scared?

Perhaps this is a naive question, in which case I apologize. To understand better: I'm a bookworm, I've been quite secluded - I don't know what to expect, but I know I sure hope that doesn't happen.

You could always wear a Flasher Mac. http://wearesonder.com​.au/why-flashing-is-a-dying-art/ (external link)

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 4 months ago by icor1031.
Jun 28, 2017 15:24 |  #3

john crossley wrote in post #18389131 (external link)
You could always wear a Flasher Mac. http://wearesonder.com​.au/why-flashing-is-a-dying-art/ (external link)

what the heck... lol

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

tdlavigne
303 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Jun 28, 2017 17:02 |  #4

Fortunately I haven't had to experience this lol; but I just always approached a photoshoot with the understanding that we're there to shoot photos, and create art. She has no interest in me other than my ability to take photos, and I should have no interest in her other than her ability to look/pose the way I want for said photos. Going into it with a clear understanding of what is and isn't to be expected makes it easier to be around beautiful women all day. It's no different than if you work a 9-5 desk job and Sally from accounting is super hot, dresses with form fitting outfits or low cut tops...you just try to maintain your sense of professionalism and not entertain any thoughts of anything that might lead to a sexual response by your body.

IF it were to happen, I think you could just excuse yourself, go to the bathroom, splash some cold water on your face, make a phone call outside, etc. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and as long as your not standing over her with a rager while panting heavily and grinning I doubt there's much reason to be offended if you're the model. I talked to a model (she shoots mostly nudes for pay) who said it happens from time to time...yes, she had a good laugh about it...but she said she just let the guy go sit down and compose himself before they kept shooting. I imagine if you're a creeper (a little too hands-on/touchy feely when it isn't necessary, too many "Oh your ass is hot!" type comments, and just a disheveled/sketchy look about you) then arousal will surely be handled differently. If you're polite, respectful, and professional, it'd probably just be awkward at worst, or just ignored.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Jun 28, 2017 17:06 |  #5

tdlavigne wrote in post #18389214 (external link)
Fortunately I haven't had to experience this lol; but I just always approached a photoshoot with the understanding that we're there to shoot photos, and create art. She has no interest in me other than my ability to take photos, and I should have no interest in her other than her ability to look/pose the way I want for said photos. Going into it with a clear understanding of what is and isn't to be expected makes it easier to be around beautiful women all day. It's no different than if you work a 9-5 desk job and Sally from accounting is super hot, dresses with form fitting outfits or low cut tops...you just try to maintain your sense of professionalism and not entertain any thoughts of anything that might lead to a sexual response by your body.

IF it were to happen, I think you could just excuse yourself, go to the bathroom, splash some cold water on your face, make a phone call outside, etc. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and as long as your not standing over her with a rager while panting heavily and grinning I doubt there's much reason to be offended if you're the model. I talked to a model (she shoots mostly nudes for pay) who said it happens from time to time...yes, she had a good laugh about it...but she said she just let the guy go sit down and compose himself before they kept shooting. I imagine if you're a creeper (a little too hands-on/touchy feely when it isn't necessary, too many "Oh your ass is hot!" type comments, and just a disheveled/sketchy look about you) then arousal will surely be handled differently. If you're polite, respectful, and professional, it'd probably just be awkward at worst, or just ignored.

Yeah, I'm golden there. I'm a small guy, 130lb - mild mannered and very professional. No one sees me as aggressive or threatening, they laugh at the idea. LOL
I'm wanting to do outdoor portraits, so excusing myself could be ... peculiar. lol. Poor model, left sitting and annoyed (not knowing why you disappeared) while you try to get rid of that (And I'd fear it happening repeatedly...)

mathogre
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Oakton, VA USA
Jun 28, 2017 21:07 |  #6

icor1031 wrote in post #18389121 (external link)

If you're there to be a photographer, be a photographer. You're there to make photos, not to get excited. You're there to make your model or subject comfortable, not to allow yourself to be overwhelmed by her awesomeness. I've photographed nude models. I've also photographed models in intimate settings. My focus is always on getting the photo right, the light, her look, her feel. I get into her rhythm, she gets into mine.

We talk, we flirt, we're in a business relationship. I'm interested in who she is as a person. Sometimes she's interested in who I am. Sometimes it's simply small talk. It doesn't matter. In the end I'm there to make photos with a model.

If you're getting an "UNWANTED physical response", you're not fully engaged in what you're supposed to be doing.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collectionexternal link

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,187 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jun 28, 2017 23:24 |  #7

Hmmmm lets see I have shot close to 100 bikini or less sessions and the only time I had a reaction was the 1 time I got the wife to pose for me. Otherwise I am there to do a job, I find myself worrying about lights and poses, hardly noticing the naked model in front of the lens.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Jun 28, 2017 23:33 |  #8

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18389459 (external link)
Hmmmm lets see I have shot close to 100 bikini or less sessions and the only time I had a reaction was the 1 time I got the wife to pose for me. Otherwise I am there to do a job, I find myself worrying about lights and poses, hardly noticing the naked model in front of the lens.

Nice!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jun 28, 2017 23:56 |  #9

If you are really that concerned about it, then perhaps you could "take care of business" before you go to the shoot, so that you wouldn't be nearly as likely to have an unwanted physical reaction to stimuli while shooting.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by icor1031. 4 edits done in total.
Jun 28, 2017 23:59 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18389473 (external link)
If you are really that concerned about it, then perhaps you could "take care of business" before you go to the shoot, so that you wouldn't be nearly as likely to have an unwanted physical reaction to stimuli while shooting.

In scenarios unrelated to photography, I've tried that... even right before.
It's quite unreliable for me, lol. But it's a good idea, it seems to help... some. Mostly as long as there's not more than about 60 minutes of separation (it could take me that long just to drive to the location.) :\

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jun 29, 2017 00:05 |  #11

icor1031 wrote in post #18389479 (external link)
In scenarios unrelated to photography, I've tried that... even right before.
It's quite unreliable for me, lol. But it's a good idea, it seems to help... some. Mostly as long as there's not more than about 60 minutes of separation (it could take me that long just to drive to the location.) :\

Then do it twice, a couple of hours apart. Or even thrice. There is a point where the little guy becomes exhausted and will be unable to respond to stimuli. Find that point and do what it takes.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Jun 29, 2017 00:07 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18389482 (external link)
Then do it twice, a couple of hours apart. Or even thrice. There is a point where the little guy becomes exhausted and will be unable to respond to stimuli. Find that point and do what it takes.

Well, there goes my entire day - considering my normal is twice a day. :(
It's good advice though, just annoyed with the situation. Lol.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,174 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jun 29, 2017 00:09 |  #13

A photographer's directions for posing can include telling the model where to look. Perhaps you could make strategic use of this aspect of a shoot if you sense that something embarrassing might happen. Even knowing that such a plan is in place may ease anxiety.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by icor1031. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 29, 2017 00:25 |  #14

Had an idea, maybe one of these... https://smile.amazon.c​om ...rds=bluestone+safet​y+vest (external link)
It's kind of normal attire for a photographer. :)

OhLook wrote in post #18389485 (external link)
A photographer's directions for posing can include telling the model where to look. Perhaps you could make strategic use of this aspect of a shoot if you sense that something embarrassing might happen. Even knowing that such a plan is in place may ease anxiety.

Might help in some cases. :)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,174 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jun 29, 2017 01:20 |  #15

icor1031 wrote in post #18389492 (external link)
Had an idea, maybe one of these... https://smile.amazon.c​om ...rds=bluestone+safet​y+vest (external link)

Actually, I was thinking about clothing. Maybe there are shirts that are long enough if not tucked in.

Another idea: Get plenty of experience with fully clothed female models, in nonprovocative poses, so you can judge your comfort level before venturing on partly clothed and so forth. Desensitization happens.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

2,539 views & 7 likes for this thread
About guy's stuff...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.