Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 29 Jun 2017 (Thursday) 09:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Quick question about resolution

rjharris
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
Jun 29, 2017 09:22 |  #1

I normally don't do weddings so this might be a dumb question but thought i would ask anyways. I shot my brothers wedding for him last weekend with my 5D IV set to full resolution and around 800 images or so. Lightroom CC was slow to say the least. I did a little bit of research on the net and some of the videos or pages I was researching were saying that they shot in Small Raw on a 5D II (I believe it was SLR Lounge but I could be wrong).

Anyways, are you wedding photographers shooting in full sized raw with your cameras? I'm just curious as to what the pros are doing. I didn't even think to set my camera up to mRAW which would have saved a considerable amount of time editing I bet.

Thanks.

Also, I'm getting ready to switch from HDD to SSD this weekend, will it make much difference.

Thanks

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jun 29, 2017 09:42 |  #2

rjharris wrote in post #18389717 (external link)
Also, I'm getting ready to switch from HDD to SSD this weekend, will it make much difference.

It will speed up the boot process, but I doubt it will make a significant difference for LR. This is based on my own experience moving to an SSD, plus comments made by others in recent threads here on POTN. Your mileage may vary, so do let us know.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
Joined Dec 2013
Detroit, MI
Jun 29, 2017 09:46 |  #3

Take a look at your manual - pg 171.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Raw: 6,720 × 4,480 pixels (30 MP) native.
mRAW: 5,040 × 3,360 (17 MP).
sRAW: 3,360 × 2,240 (7.5 MP).

I would only use these settings if I needed to transfer raw images via wifi immediately - say for a sports shooter on the sideline, web reporter who only needs low resolution images, etc.

Using these, you are essentially throwing away pixels, which is fine for web based images, small prints, etc. For any portrait or wedding work where printing large and having the ability to crop is important, I'd use the full sized raw images.

Support the forums - donate here

rjharris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
Jun 29, 2017 10:42 as a reply to Qlayer2's post |  #4

Thanks. I've read the manual, (or at least parts of it). I was just wondering if most shot in full resolution during a wedding or if they went down a notch since they are taking so many photographs.

erikfig
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Joined May 2012
Orlando, FL
Jun 29, 2017 11:30 |  #5

I don't own a 5D IV but if I did. I would use it on FULL RAW always.

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
Jun 29, 2017 11:44 |  #6

Full raw. Higher the better.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

rjharris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
Jun 29, 2017 12:03 |  #7

Thanks guys, that was what I was thinking, I had just seen some shooting smaller files but kind of thought that the client would be getting short changed. Like I said, I don't do weddings this was just me shooting my brothers wedding for him.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Alveric.
Jun 29, 2017 12:19 |  #8

Full RAW all the way. AdobeRGB colour space.

LR has become a bit of a resource hog over the years. I noticed it when I ran a beta/demo of version 4. Regardless, I'd look into optimising LR rather than throw away data.

http://www.lightroomze​n.com ...om-for-better-performance (external link)

(I don't do weddings either.)

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,690 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jun 29, 2017 12:27 |  #9

Setting the largest resolution the camera can muster affords the most latitude in post processing and final output, from noise reduction to cropping needs. You can shoot medium jpg but at least shoot full raw.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Action (external link) | Focus Genie

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Jan 2005
S Yorks UK
Jul 17, 2017 13:03 |  #10

If you have Lightroom set to create full size previews on import, it will slow down import but speed up working.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

rjharris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
Jul 17, 2017 15:45 as a reply to Phil V's post |  #11

I do. Big files just take awhile. Lightroom has never been lightning fast in my opinion.

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Jul 17, 2017 19:32 |  #12

There's a compression that takes place for MRaw and SRaw. I don't remember if it was posted here or not but you lose dynamic range too, IIRC. I shoot full raw all the way or small JPG if its just a snapshot of an informational sign at a tourist spot ors omething. Just don't forget to switch it back!

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jul 17, 2017 20:56 |  #13

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18404416 (external link)
There's a compression that takes place for MRaw and SRaw. I don't remember if it was posted here or not but you lose dynamic range too, IIRC. I shoot full raw all the way or small JPG if its just a snapshot of an informational sign at a tourist spot ors omething. Just don't forget to switch it back!

I'm not sure the word compression has meaning for a raw file. All raw files contain "image data exactly as captured on the sensor."

I would never use the smaller RAWs, but I don't think there is any image quality loss, other than resolution, if you do.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

mike_d
Goldmember
4,915 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 17, 2017 21:03 |  #14

Archibald wrote in post #18389726 (external link)
It will speed up the boot process, but I doubt it will make a significant difference for LR. This is based on my own experience moving to an SSD, plus comments made by others in recent threads here on POTN. Your mileage may vary, so do let us know.

Agreed: LR is CPU-bound. That includes generating previews and rendering output jpgs. Applying some operations can be sped up with the appropriate GPU, but that didn't work too well when I tried it.

mike_d
Goldmember
4,915 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 17, 2017 21:05 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18389901 (external link)
Setting the largest resolution the camera can muster affords the most latitude in post processing and final output, from noise reduction to cropping needs. You can shoot medium jpg but at least shoot full raw.

Yep. I figure I only get one chance to capture an image so I want all the data possible. Disk space and to some degree CPU power is cheap.

sponsored links

1,539 views & 3 likes for this thread
Quick question about resolution
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.