Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Jun 2017 (Thursday) 20:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS Rebel SL2

frugivore
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Toronto, Canada
Jun 29, 2017 20:48 |  #1

Pros:
+DPAF
+5 FPS (buffer probably small)
+articulating touch LCD
+Small, light

Cons:
-no 4K video
-9 point AF

Seems like a good update to the SL1. Is anyone else interested? What are your thoughts?

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,235 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Jun 29, 2017 23:22 |  #2

I liked the Sl1 and this is even better. Great travel camera and one my kids will enjoy shooting as well. This was a more exciting announcement for me than the 6d2.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Jun 30, 2017 13:11 |  #3

Wow no love (or hate thank god!) for the SL2 :)

Guess that's what happens when it is released with the 6D2.

https://www.usa.canon.​com ...2-ef-s-18-55mm-is-stm-kit (external link)

https://www.engadget.c​om ...anon-rebel-sl2-apsc-dslr/ (external link)

https://www.dpreview.c​om ...on-eos-rebel-sl2-eos-200d (external link)

I gave away my SL1 to mt nephew, but a tilt screen and the new sensor might be all it takes to get me to buy again.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

chantu
896 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Silicon Valley
Jun 30, 2017 14:02 |  #4

I actually more excited about the SL2 than the 6DII, not so much for the features but the value. This seems like a great second body/xmas gift for the wife. At $550 for the body and will probably go down a bit, this camera packs a pretty good punch for the price. The 9 pt AF is not so much a drawback with the world-class dual pixel AF (which I bet most folks would use). And the OVF is superior in bright sunlight, and saving your batteries. I'm curious what people think of this camera vs the M6 or M5?

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickrexternal linkFeedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Jun 30, 2017 14:06 |  #5

Same sensor as the 80d?

, a possibly great walk about camera , casual photography .. with the pancake 24 would be great

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by DaviSto. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 30, 2017 15:44 |  #6

I've found the SL1 to be a really handy/useful second camera first to the 5Dii and now to the 5Div. It's terrific to take out to places/events where a big camera and lens combination would just get in the way and where your photography is incidental to the main business at hand. Also great for travel, of course.

I got a couple of the EF-S IS zooms that I bought specifically to complement the SL1 ... but I actually like it best hooked up to the 50mm F/1.4. That's a really nice combination. I really ought to try to get hold of the 28mm EF-S pancake to make up a preferred prime lens kit.

Oh ... this thread is supposed to be about the SL2? Well the SL2 seems like a nice progression from the SL1. I'll almost certainly pick one up sooner or later ... but no rush.

It's nice that the SL2 seems like a camera that nobody is going to get agitated or angrily disappointed about. How could it (honestly) possibly cause offence?

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2010
Chicago
Jun 30, 2017 16:09 |  #7

I'm interested. I would be preordering if canon had a small 14-18 prime. But this is the type of camera that makes it hard for me to justify moving to a Fuji app-c body. I'll certainly consider one of these for future travel or the wife.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G15 • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 24-70L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 1.4x • 600EX II • 270 EX II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,235 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Jun 30, 2017 18:55 |  #8

The SL1 coupled with a 55-250 (or maybe now the Sigma 100-400) will be allowed in events that the larger Canon bodies and lenses wouldn't be. That is just one advantage. There were others, a very nice small body with all the benefits of the DSLR. I could keep that body and 2 lenses in a very small inconspicuous bag as well, and it could go with me where I didn't want to lug the bigger (and better) equipment. It got the job done. This SL2 interests me greatly.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,872 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Sacramento/San Francisco USA
Jul 01, 2017 00:08 |  #9

im excited to see reviews for the SL2. Love the small body. If it can match the performance of a m5 or m6 in terms of low light ISO, ill take it in a heartbeat. The SL1 was a bit lacking let alone no flip out screen.

geek34
Joined Mar 2010
Jul 01, 2017 19:50 |  #10

planning to buy this when there are user reviews available. this is very portable and great for light travel photography plus some improved features over the sl1, i guess, this would be my good 2nd camera.

My flickrexternal link | My Canon Gear | My Feedbackexternal link

frugivore
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Toronto, Canada
Post has been edited 4 months ago by frugivore.
Jul 02, 2017 00:22 |  #11

chantu wrote in post #18391045 (external link)
I actually more excited about the SL2 than the 6DII, not so much for the features but the value. This seems like a great second body/xmas gift for the wife. At $550 for the body and will probably go down a bit, this camera packs a pretty good punch for the price. The 9 pt AF is not so much a drawback with the world-class dual pixel AF (which I bet most folks would use). And the OVF is superior in bright sunlight, and saving your batteries. I'm curious what people think of this camera vs the M6 or M5?

I considered the M5/6 as an upgrade to my original M. The two lenses I'd use most with a general/travel camera would be a standard prime and a wide zoom. The EF-M line beats the EF-S line in these categories with the 11-22mm and the 22mm. But my M doesn't autofocus in low light very well. And I'm assuming the M5/6 models are the same in this regard. The battery life is probably better in the SL2 and I'm very used to the articulating screen. At this time, I'd choose the DSLR but I may change my tune if new fast EF-M lenses are introduced into the market.

rantercsr wrote in post #18391054 (external link)
Same sensor as the 80d?

, a possibly great walk about camera , casual photography .. with the pancake 24 would be great

I have the 24mm and use it with my 70D. It's very small already so I'm not sure how much more convenient it would be with a smaller body. What I like about the 70D is that it uses the same battery (LP-E6) as my 5D3. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if my bodies didn't share batteries.

But the SL2 does have the newer sensor so better IQ than my 70D. It just doesn't have a lot of AF points. This really doesn't bother me too much. I've been shooting with my 40D a lot lately which has 9 AF points and I find it doesn't hamper me when focusing. What has really emerged as an essential feature for me is the joystick. Being able to quickly switch points - even the few found on the 40D - is crucial to getting my picture framed how I want.

CaptB412
196 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Boca Raton, FL
Jul 03, 2017 09:36 |  #12

I know everyone is finding fault lately with Canon's recent offerings - especially with the lack of 4k. Yet, there are those of us who really don't have the need (or quite frankly the want) for 4k video. My wife wants to upgrade from the SL1 to the SL2. She likes the SL2 better than the M3 (which has been relegated to date night pics with the 22 pancake). She wanted something small, light and nearly automatic when she takes pics at parties or of our son. The SL2 "fixes" two of her complaints of the SL1 - no wifi and no flip screen. Yes, Fuji and Sony are making great APS-C cameras, but Canon's just seem to i) work well consistently, ii) have better ergonomics, iii) have an easy to understand menu system and iv) make it easy for casual shooters to upgrade and instantly "know" how the camera will perform.

I am interested to see how the SL2 compares with my M5 (which my daughter just took to Israel for 3 weeks) as a simple travel camera.

5DS R | 5D Mk III | EOS-M5 | G.A.S. Addict | Many Lenses | Flashes |

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Jul 03, 2017 13:46 |  #13

The only complaint .. and its not even a big complaint ,, for me, would be that it only has 9 af points.
My t4i from 5 years ago has 9 points..

How ever .. i suppose this camera will be mostly purchased by photography beginers or photomoms or dads.. and 9 af points is probably enough.. it was for me when i got my first dslr (rebel t4i)

I know for myself the first 6 months were spent in green mode anyway

Anyway it certainly wouldnt stop me from buying it

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Jul 03, 2017 14:23 |  #14

rantercsr wrote in post #18393326 (external link)
The only complaint .. and its not even a big complaint ,, for me, would be that it only has 9 af points.
My t4i from 5 years ago has 9 points..

How ever .. i suppose this camera will be mostly purchased by photography beginers or photomoms or dads.. and 9 af points is probably enough.. it was for me when i got my first dslr (rebel t4i)

I know for myself the first 6 months were spent in green mode anyway

Anyway it certainly wouldnt stop me from buying it

I think it has two distinct and quite different main markets. One is the one that you describe (relative beginners and photomoms/dads). I think a second is as lightweight casual camera for enthusiast photographers who want something easy to carry around and not too 'intimidating' for events and days out when photography is not high on the agenda.

I've found the SL1 very handy in the second usage. But I don't need a whole lot of focus points for this kind of shooting either. And it can be set up with things like back-button focus that are definitely not beginner features if you prefer. I happily accept its limitations and greatly enjoy using it just for what it is. It's a whole lot more versatile than the camera in my smart phone.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Jul 03, 2017 14:41 |  #15

My only real complaint about the SL1 was the "rebel" button layout, the inaccessibility of the * button, so BBF was unusable for me,. etc. and the poky AF system.

Given the bodies size, I am not sure how it could be done better/differently for all.

But I agree that the twisty screen, wifi and of course the improved sensor make the SL2 a more compelling body. In fact the twisty screen and DPAF could go a long way towards alleviating my primary AF control concerns.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

10,213 views & 17 likes for this thread
Canon EOS Rebel SL2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.