Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 30 Jun 2017 (Friday) 11:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photobucket Goes Rogue

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,008 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Jul 01, 2017 12:31 |  #16

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18391742 (external link)
Not so sure about this being written by an alarmist? I have suddenly been seeing the speedometer place holders showing up all over the web, as well as a lot of PB users **** about the changes.
FWIW, I don't use PB, and never have.

Without knowing the utilization profiles pertaining to the folks being hit with those 'speedometer place holders', it still could be alarmist in terms of NOT applying to folks like me who have very low volume of used server capacity that was allocated to each member.
Any increase in membership cost might simply be related to server costs escalating , and passing on the increased cost to the highest consumers of server storage. The dead-end free forum links might be a very clumsy way of convincing the high storage users to pay something more commensurate to their usage.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,957 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jul 01, 2017 13:24 |  #17

Wilt wrote in post #18391747 (external link)
The dead-end free forum links might be a very clumsy way of convincing the high storage users to pay something more commensurate to their usage.

High storage? I don't know about that. My Photobucket links at POTN died, and my storage at P'bucket has stood at 1.0 K for a long time.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

PhotosGuy
74,713 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jul 01, 2017 13:30 |  #18

Wilt wrote in post #18391747 (external link)
Without knowing the utilization profiles pertaining to the folks being hit with those 'speedometer place holders', it still could be alarmist in terms of NOT applying to folks like me who have very low volume of used server capacity that was allocated to each member.
Any increase in membership cost might simply be related to server costs escalating , and passing on the increased cost to the highest consumers of server storage. The dead-end free forum links might be a very clumsy way of convincing the high storage users to pay something more commensurate to their usage.

Did you not see where I posted, "I used 10% of the free hosting & it looks like they slammed my account too."?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,008 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Jul 01, 2017 14:13 |  #19

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18391784 (external link)
Did you not see where I posted, "I used 10% of the free hosting & it looks like they slammed my account too."?

I saw your post. But not being aware of how much/how little of your membership allocation was used...

10% of 2GB, or
10% of 600GB

(I use 31% of only 2GB). I didn't apply 'free hosting' to mean the 2GB account like me.
So I did not jump to any conclusion about how much or how little burden on server capacity you had placed upon Photobucket. I only know that my paltry use of Photobucket for forum links is still functioning, and Photobucket has not tried to hit me up to upgrade my account. When we see that my link in post 14 of this thread has gone dead, we all will know that I have been struck silent, too!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

scriveyn
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Jul 01, 2017 15:18 |  #20

8% of 2GB and links are gone for me too.

Forunately I didn't make much use of PB, as I hated the interface (ads, flash) which regularly froze one of my computers.

I have restored most of my affected images here on POTN, except for those where I had included more than 2 in one post.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

Overread
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Jul 01, 2017 18:23 |  #21

Honestly after this stunt I'll be amazed if the site lasts to the end of the year; if it does chances are hardly any will be using it*. There are just so many other alternative better choices for both casual and serious uploaders. The only ones who will really be affected are those hosting archive stuff and chances are those who are still around and active will just move stuff over to another host.

*or it will just be such a spammy feast of ads that it will appear like a scam-site rather than its once legitimate status.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

Scoobert
Joined Feb 2013
Iowa
Jul 01, 2017 23:03 |  #22

I only used 3% of free account. Every site I posted links at has a nice a blocked link now.

Their server, their rules so I will be deleting my account now. Pretty crappy way do it. I guess having 500 pop ups and ads every time you go to their site wasn't enough to keep it free.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,223 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Pekka.
Jul 02, 2017 03:09 |  #23

Wow.

There is a long discussion about this in http://blog.photobucke​t.com .../comment-page-1/#comments (external link)

New TOS is linked in http://blog.photobucke​t.com/update-terms-service/ (external link)

"The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting."

What they have done is really not good practice, all embedded image show an "ad" instead, and their clients need to pay to get the images displayed correctly!

Remember that if you want to restore the important images in your posts, you may edit the post and upload those here instead (2 per post).
They will always show here, no matter what.

Hopefully Photobucket will loosen their embed restrictions after a while, people seem to be very angry about it.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
Joined Jul 2007
Sinning in paradise
Jul 02, 2017 03:36 |  #24

Pekka wrote in post #18392299 (external link)
Remember that if you want to restore the important images in your posts, you may edit the post and upload those here instead (2 per post).
They will always show here, no matter what.

Very much appreciate it.

Miss Julian Grey
xgender.net (external link)
I'm non-binary - please refer to me as she/her

graham121
Joined Feb 2013
Pakenham, VIC, Aus
Jul 02, 2017 03:37 |  #25

Wilt wrote in post #18391717 (external link)
Methinks this thread is the result of an article, the offshoot of an alarmist writer...

Here is the current Photobucket web page of membership options

QUOTED IMAGE

I don't use Photobucket commercially in any manner, I only use it to post illustrations in threads on various forums, and have not been 'slammed' or approached to up my status from merely paying to be 'ad free'. In over 10 years of posting, I have only used 0.6GB of my free 2.0GB, and the $39.99 account provides over 500GB of storage...over 80X as much as I use after 10+ years

Give it time Wilt as PB goes through all the user accounts... I used PB for close to 15 years on a number of non photographic forums, have used 23% of a 2gb account and now every single one of these links is dead......

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,223 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jul 02, 2017 03:42 |  #26

twoshadows wrote in post #18392311 (external link)
Very much appreciate it.

The only caveat is that when you replace a photo it is removed from your forum gallery (if it was there), so you'll need to add it to your gallery again (edit metadata if not detected automatically).

Also, if a photo was in Best of gallery, drop me a PM after you have added it to gallery and I'll make it a Best of again.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,223 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Pekka. 4 edits done in total.
Jul 02, 2017 05:14 |  #27

I have done some tests and there can be a simple code solution in AMASS to all those forced ads replacing pb images. There are over 400,000 posts which have some photobucket images embedded.

if photobucket does not revert the decision and lift their embed ban and ad delivery system soon I'll do this

------------

- all photobucket images will get "banned" from being embedded: they will instead display a text and a link to the image. Something like:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
The effect would be instant over the whole forum. The ban is only "virtual" which means the actual embed codes are not touched, because:

- all members who have functional photobucket embedding (i.e a paid account there) will be
added to a "white list" which allows normal embedded image display from photobucket.

------------

I'll do now some work to find those members who have functional pb accounts, if you have one please reply to this post.

ABOVE POLICY IS NOT ACTIVE YET. It will be activated if photobucket keeps the embed ban policy. We'll wait few days to see about that.

vengence
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Jul 02, 2017 07:45 |  #28

frozenframe wrote in post #18391214 (external link)
I've been using Flicker, and hope they don't follow suit. After seeing what Photobucket is doing, I deleted my account with them. I had very few photos there, as I've never liked how slow it is, and now adds flying everywhere.

I suspect others will see the disaster that is photobuckets experiment and run. That being said, while I really like Flicker and it's great for sharing kids photos with the family, it's not my photostorage device and I've got copies of everything safely stored away.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Michigan
Post has been edited 3 months ago by randy98mtu.
Jul 02, 2017 08:19 as a reply to Pekka's post |  #29

Pekka is the best! Things like this are why when AMASS was released I just started uploading my images directly. And also why i’m going to go pitch in a donation for hosting costs right now. ;-)a

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) | last.fm (external link)
Sony A7R ii | B25 + FE 50/1.8 + FE 85/1.8
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 02, 2017 09:12 |  #30

PB's site must be getting hammered right now since it took 5 tried to get an actual page instead of text. I've been using them for years for "throw away" images posted on forums that don't have their own hosting. Everything there is just a copy. It sucks that any posts I've made now show an ad.

Who's a good free host that allows linking? I have Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive but I used PB because it was totally separate and not connected to my work or real files.

sponsored links

24,570 views & 123 likes for this thread
Photobucket Goes Rogue
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.