Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 30 Jun 2017 (Friday) 11:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photobucket Goes Rogue

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Jul 02, 2017 09:28 |  #31

Thanks for the heads up. This looks like an ugly problem. I'm still moving photos to Flickr thanks to the demise of Picasa Web Albums. I think I have moved my travel related photos 5 times over the years & it's a big job, but it's the smallest album set of my 3 on line sets. .

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,004 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jul 02, 2017 10:29 |  #32

graham121 wrote in post #18392312 (external link)
Give it time Wilt as PB goes through all the user accounts... I used PB for close to 15 years on a number of non photographic forums, have used 23% of a 2gb account and now every single one of these links is dead......

Well, my linked image of the Photobucket membership options web page is still functioning normally in post 14 of this thread. I continue to watch with interest how this unfolds.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
39,004 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jul 02, 2017 10:32 |  #33

Wilt wrote in post #18392481 (external link)
Well, my linked image of the Photobucket membership options web page is still functioning normally in post 14 of this thread. I continue to watch with interest how this unfolds.

Meanwhile, in face of this possible/probably change, I'd like to solicit input from POTN members about the best alternatives to Photobucket, with comments about whether or not the suggested alternative is/is not useful to someone with light commercial utilization.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jul 02, 2017 10:45 |  #34

Wilt wrote in post #18392483 (external link)
Meanwhile, in face of this possible/probably change, I'd like to solicit input from POTN members about the best alternatives to Photobucket, with comments about whether or not the suggested alternative is/is not useful to someone with light commercial utilization.

At the moment Flickr is fine, the difference between the paid and free account is now much smaller. I still keep my paid account, since it's a pretty negligible fee for me, so I don't see any ads served when I visit the site. Others see a ad served about every fourth or fifth I think it is image, as you click through the photos. Posting to POTN is pretty simple, just click the share link and copy paste the BBCode, or you can just copy the image's URL and use Pekka's embed code directly in AMASS. You can make images private, so that they only show to people whom you give the URL to, which includes posting the URL as a link, or as BBCode, to a forum.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

crofter
159 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Weardale UK
Post has been edited 3 months ago by crofter.
Jul 02, 2017 10:57 |  #35

Closed my account yesterday,I haven't used it for years anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/external link

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,459 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Jul 02, 2017 11:09 |  #36

Pekka wrote in post #18392299 (external link)
Remember that if you want to restore the important images in your posts, you may edit the post and upload those here instead (2 per post).
They will always show here, no matter what.

This is a very generous offer Pekka. :-)
And this to me is what makes this such a great community. :love:

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

squirl033
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Everett, WA
Jul 02, 2017 11:17 |  #37

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18390881 (external link)
Expect to see a real kerfuffle arise in the near future over Photobuckets new policy. People have stated they are now holding their photos for ransom, and are demanding $399. per year.
https://www.pcmag.com ...links-across-the-internet (external link)

Exactly. I used Photobucket for 10 years, and "3rd party hosting" was always free. Now they want $400 a year for the same feature!! The worst part is, instead of just telling users they need to pay going forward, they've also broken all the existing links to embedded images. That means for folks like me who've been using Photobucket for years, all those images - in my case, 10 years' worth on multiple forums! - simply disappear, replaced by some silly little graphic telling viewers I need to upgrade my account in order to restore the links! Seems the folks at Photobucket have taken a page from the playbook of the crooks who write ransomware virus code... I've told them to pound sand, and have found another site that will let me link my images for free. It's called IMGBB.com, it's a snap to sign up, loading images is simple, and it's free.

Whether Photobucket will lose enough subscribers to make them reconsider this greedy, obnoxious new policy remains to be seen. They may well figure they have enough paying subscribers that losing a million or so won't be a problem. Hopefully, though, they lose enough to cause them real pain. Frankly I don't care if they go bankrupt... I didn't use them for photo back-up anyway, only for image hosting, and all the images I uploaded to their site are safely stored on two external hard drives, so if they go under and my photos go with them, it's no big deal. I'm just furious at this new policy and the way they've handled the whole thing.

Rocky ~
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night
www.northwestnaturalim​agery.comexternal link

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,815 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 3 months ago by digital paradise.
Jul 02, 2017 12:03 |  #38

I'm along time PB user. I downgraded my plan to Plus 50 a few years back and I'm still able to link. I only have 0.9 GB used. I downgraded realizing I'll likely never get to 52 GB. I'm trying to find what Plus 50 costs, if anything. PB only lists pricing Plus 100 and 500. I do remember is it seemed the PB put the brakes on with speed navigating the site, etc after downgrading.

I have to admit I have not being paying attention to any messages that PB is taking a payment off my Visa so I'm not sure what is going on with that.

The thing I don't like about PB is the sharing dialogue boxes are too short. When I post multiple images and I want a sequence them it can be a pain.

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Wilt
39,004 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jul 02, 2017 12:07 |  #39

digital paradise wrote in post #18392544 (external link)
I'm along time PB user. I downgraded my plan to Plus 50 a few years back and I'm still able to link. I only have 0.9 GB used. I downgraded realizing I'll likely never get to 52 GB. I'm trying to find what Plus 50 costs, if anything. PB only lists pricing Plus 100 and 500. I do remember is it seemed the PB put the brakes on with speed navigating the site, etc after downgrading.

See the image which I linked in post 14 of this thread...clearly shows $5.99 for Plus 50

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,223 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Pekka.
Jul 02, 2017 12:11 |  #40

digital paradise wrote in post #18392544 (external link)
I'm along time PB user. I downgraded my plan to Plus 50 a few years back and I'm still able to link.

To me it looks like they still allow 3rd party embedding for customers who had a paid (plus) account (maybe there is something legal text in that old deal that prevents them killing your embeds, which would be great). Still, their new pricing table clearly says that only the $399/y plan allows embedding to other sites.

http://photobucket.com​/pricing (external link)

Plus 50 offers 50 of Storage and No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting

Plus 100 offers 100GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking, and No 3rd Party Hosting

Plus 500 offers 500GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and Unlimited 3rd Party Hosting

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Wilt
39,004 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jul 02, 2017 12:15 |  #41

Pekka wrote in post #18392550 (external link)
To me it looks like they still allow 3rd party embedding for customers who had a paid (plus) account (maybe there is something legal text in that old deal that prevents them killing your embeds, which would be great). Still, their new pricing table clearly says that only the $399/y plan allows embedding to other sites.

http://photobucket.com​/pricing (external link)

Plus 50 offers 50 of Storage and No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting

Plus 100 offers 100GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking, and No 3rd Party Hosting

Plus 500 offers 500GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and Unlimited 3rd Party Hosting

...and in spite of what their policy currently states, there are those of us whose free/near free accounts still have working links, resulting in us standing by curiously, waiting to see the shoe drop.

2n10
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Sep 2012
Sparks, Nevada, USA
Jul 02, 2017 12:34 |  #42

Very strange. I currently have the Plus 20 plan which was paid as a yearly. I can not see any of my photos on PB but the links are all good and showing here.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

2n10
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Sep 2012
Sparks, Nevada, USA
Jul 02, 2017 12:55 |  #43

OK, I just relogged back in to PB and can see my photos.

It looks like the webmaster has screwed up in implementing a site change/upgrade. No notes on what is going on or any changes to how my account will work.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

Overread
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Jul 02, 2017 13:08 |  #44

Considering how big PBucket is chances are that changes might take a while to roll out fully to their entire service. So some users might be delayed before the effect hits them. Furthermore it might be that some are simply seeing older caches from the site and thus not the updated version; so a refresh of your web browser cache might suddenly force the computer to reload the photos (and thus show the new version).

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

bpiper7
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
Richmond Va.
Jul 02, 2017 13:20 |  #45

Wilt wrote in post #18392483 (external link)

Zenfolio. You can sell lots of items from the site.

They don;t seem to be putting obstacles in the way.

Bill

billpiperphotos.comexternal link
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

sponsored links

24,379 views & 120 likes for this thread
Photobucket Goes Rogue
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.