Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 04 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 01:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, reviewed by artsf

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND artsf (showing now: artsf)
Overall Rating10
Overall Image Quality10
Value for Money8
Must Have7
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance10
Handling and Ergonomics10
User-interface10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

artsf
Joined Sep 2015
Post has been edited 5 months ago by artsf.
Jul 04, 2017 01:28 |  #1

Highlights:

- DPAF. Outstanding video AI-Servo performance.

- AWB-W. Excellent color balance in any light (stills and video).

- High quality 4k and 1080/60p

- DR

- Beautiful colors

- Resolution

- Dual memory cards: I set separate recording with video on CF and raw images on SD. This helps

to alleviate large 4k file size.

Nitpickings:

- 120p is not available in FHD (only 720p)

- 1.74x crop in 4k mode limits wide angle flexibility

- Limited M-Fn button customization. I am puzzled that DOF preview button has tons of

assignable functions but M-Fn is limited to just a few.

- Internal mic picks up AF motor noise (USM, have not tried STM). Must use a proper external mic

at all times

- Dark VF AF points, not constantly lit red.

Observations:

- Canon has noticeably improved color output compared to the already great 6d and 5d III. This is not

just due to AWB-W but overall colors are more vivid yet natural using same color profiles and can be pushed far more in post without falling apart, even at high ISO.
It seems that the wi-fi function can no longer be assigned to Quick Menu like on 6d?

-While DPAF does not have eye detect, in my experience, eyes are always in focus when using face detect (f1.2) so I am curious if this feature is embedded into the face detect. I was going to list the
absence of eye-detect as a con but I have not actually found it to be an issue (yet).

-MJPEG files play just fine using Canon’s EOS Movie Utility. My current workflow is to edit in Adobe Premiere using original files for H264 150 mbps output. After edit is done, transcode all original mjpegs to H264 (150) mbps for archiving and delete originals. I find it's a small price to pay for the gorgeous 4k output. The crop factor is an issue but on rare occasions when I need wide angle, I switch to 1080p which then gets upscaled nicely to 4k during editing; works better for me than switching lenses. I find the resolution drop when watching on 65” 4k TV is not as noticeable for wide angle scenes as it is for close ups. I am more disappointed with the absence of 120fps (slow mo) in 1080p (it is present in 1dx ii).

Overall, this camera is a joy to use, with superb ergonomics and a balance of features that make it a true cinema stills hybrid for me. I can't say I ever enjoyed shooting videos with a DSLR but it's at least 30% of what I've been doing now with 5div. Rock solid DPAF, impeccable video metering, touch focus and control, wifi integration, easy customizations, recording video on a dedicated CF card, stability, good battery life, so many things to like and they are all immensely useable on a daily basis. Even HDR video is useful for certain scenes. As long as you are willing to mix and match 4k and HD during editing, I am confident you'll enjoy this camera for video.

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,915 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jul 07, 2017 20:08 |  #2

I have thought the face detect algorithms with Canon live view are setting eyes as the priority. At this stage it's pretty easy. You look at the sophisticated AI face detection systems out now, they're always plotting the eye distances, nasal lines, and mouth points. To just get the points of the eyes is fairly easy now.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

digicamcentral
27 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by digicamcentral.
Oct 24, 2017 15:31 |  #3

Not that megapixels are everything, but at this price point, I'd expect the megapixel count to be closer to 40.

I love the dual pixel Autofocus.

Digital Camera Central
A hub for all things digital photography related.
www.DigitalCamCentral.​com (external link)

Pippan
Joined Oct 2015
Darwin, Australia
Oct 24, 2017 15:48 |  #4

digicamcentral wrote in post #18480007 (external link)
I love the dual pixel Autofocus which you didn't mention in your review.

Well, not after the first highlight anyway.

digicamcentral
27 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Oct 25, 2017 09:41 |  #5

Pippan wrote in post #18480014 (external link)
Well, not after the first highlight anyway.

I didn't put 2 and 2 together with the acronym. My bad.

Digital Camera Central
A hub for all things digital photography related.
www.DigitalCamCentral.​com (external link)

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Oct 29, 2017 21:58 |  #6

I'm glad to hear someone speak positively about the 4K! People were losing their minds with it being MJPEG and a super high bitrate, but all that meant was that it was going to be astonishing quality. MJPEG is just that; jpegs. Put a jpeg in lightroom and see how much detail is in there; now you have all of that in video form. As for the crop factor, it seems that the Sony's always overheat when used in full frame 4k mode, so Canon cropping it probably got rid of that problem. I would love to have the video from the 5D IV.

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 25mm f1.8 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

artsf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Oct 30, 2017 00:05 |  #7

Scottboarding wrote in post #18484337 (external link)
I'm glad to hear someone speak positively about the 4K! People were losing their minds with it being MJPEG and a super high bitrate, but all that meant was that it was going to be astonishing quality. MJPEG is just that; jpegs. Put a jpeg in lightroom and see how much detail is in there; now you have all of that in video form. As for the crop factor, it seems that the Sony's always overheat when used in full frame 4k mode, so Canon cropping it probably got rid of that problem. I would love to have the video from the 5D IV.

Absolutely, I am now shooting tons of family videos with it. Canon 35mm F2 IS w/Rode VMP is my most used rig. The lens has one of the best video OIS I’ve used. Yes, it is great quality mjpeg files but my current workflow is to transcode everything to H264, the storage has become extremely demanding as I am making 1TB a month of mjpeg footage which is about 350mb of H264. I will soon be transcoding to H265 which is half of H264 size. I have tested the transcoding and could not find any difference whatsoever as viewed on 4k 65” tv. I don’t color grade or do any extra processing to my videos - the color is always perfect, something I could never achieve with A7rii (dreadful ‘cheap video’ color especially in mixed light).

sponsored links

1,405 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, reviewed by artsf
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.