Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 06 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 13:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 7D to mirrorless; keep or sell the 7D

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Jul 06, 2017 13:17 |  #1

So I'm currently in Sweden on vacation, and I brought along my 7D, 35mm f2, 24mm STM, and the 24-105mm L. I've learned quite quickly that I need to look into getting a smaller camera setup, at least for traveling. I have a ton of unused gear I could sell off that could fund a Fuji or M43 setup, but I'm not too sure if I should keep any of my Canon gear, or sell that too and get a better setup. Selling off all my unused stuff should get me around $800-$900 and I'll gladly throw out $100 of my own money (I'm young working part time at minimum wage so I'm not exactly rolling in the dough). That could get me an Olympus E-M1, Olympus 25mm f1.8, and an Olympus 17mm f1.8 (plus batteries). I've barely touched my 24-105 since I've been here so I've lived off the 35mm and 50mm FOV so that should be fine. One big and important thing I am looking for is better dynamic range. In sunlight I'm regularly losing both highlight and shadow details in my photos. I'm under exposing everything to prevent blow highlights, but then shadow noise creeps in, so I don't really feel like I have any good option.

If I sold all my Canon gear, that could get me a lot more, and enough for a Fuji X-Pro1, Fuji 23mm f2, and a Fuji 35mm f2 (plus batteries). But, if I sell all my canon gear, I lose my tele length with the 24-105mm that has come in handy on occasion, but only twice so far so I can probably live without it.

I'm having a very difficult time with this, because the olympus is very small and light, and probably better for skate photography (the only action I do), but the Fuji has better IQ, low light, DOF, etc. Plus it rangefinder-ish which I enjoy. But, it's bigger, heavier, and the lenses are much for expensive for the same aperture and FOV.

I shoot mostly architecture and street stuff, so I don't need the highest IQ or the most megapixels or anything. I shoot a lot of film on my Nikon FM2 which is manual everything so I'm used to not have a ton of features. I just want something that'll get the job done, and not get in my way while doing it.

If anyone's made the switch from DSLRs to M43 or Fuji I would love your input on this. Thanks!

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

sponsored links
davesrose
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jul 06, 2017 14:00 |  #2

Looking at DXO scores, both the Olympus and Fuji have more DR then the 7D. The Olympus has 1EV better low ISO DR. They don't have the X-Pro1 reviewed though (the X100's DR is slightly less then the Olympus). Since the Fuji has a larger sensor, it does have better high ISO:

olympus-om-d-e-m1-vs-fuji-x-t1-iso-comparison (external link)

It seems like you'd like the Olympus system for its size, and I think it might have appropriate IQ for your needs.

Another article on Olympus's noise reduction:

olympus-e-m1HI_ISO_NR (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

tdlavigne
292 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Jul 06, 2017 16:45 |  #3

Keep it if you can afford to do so. I went from the 7D to Sony NEX6 and A7, then back to Canon 70D, and now Nikon D800e and D610. While technically on paper they were all "better" cameras, I still miss the files from the 7D the most, not to mention the ergonomics and just overall user experience. Easily my most favorite camera I've ever owned, and I regret selling it. Could make a solid backup should your other gear fail for any reason.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jul 06, 2017 16:54 |  #4

Heya,

You probably need to hold onto a M43 and a fast prime and see if the size/weight is different enough to warrant it.

To do the same FOV of the 35mm and 50mm on M43, you'll need a 70mm and 100mm lens repspectively, so, bigger lenses.

Granted you mentioned faster shorter lenses. You don't really need crazy good AF with short lenses really.

But coming from a 7D, you'll notice big time the difference between the aggressive robust AF and the fast FPS, compared to the sluggish focus and limited buffer of a lower end model M43. There are good ones mind you, but they're not cheap, they're quite costly (and the good ones are still kind of large despite having a smaller sensor).

Have you looked at the Canon M5 perhaps?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Jul 06, 2017 17:20 |  #5

Hold onto it for a bit.... but if you find that you're not using it, sell it. Simple as that.

I held onto my old Canon gear for awhile...but after sitting in my cabinet for months the decision to start selling things off was easy.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

Scottboarding
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2016
Jul 07, 2017 11:19 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #18395688 (external link)
Heya,

You probably need to hold onto a M43 and a fast prime and see if the size/weight is different enough to warrant it.

To do the same FOV of the 35mm and 50mm on M43, you'll need a 70mm and 100mm lens repspectively, so, bigger lenses.

Granted you mentioned faster shorter lenses. You don't really need crazy good AF with short lenses really.

But coming from a 7D, you'll notice big time the difference between the aggressive robust AF and the fast FPS, compared to the sluggish focus and limited buffer of a lower end model M43. There are good ones mind you, but they're not cheap, they're quite costly (and the good ones are still kind of large despite having a smaller sensor).

Have you looked at the Canon M5 perhaps?

Very best,

Well I'm looking mostly at the Olympus E-M1 which shoots faster (10 FPS with locked focus, 9 with continuous) and the buffer is 41 which I believe is longer than my 7D (I've never actually hit the buffer so it should be fine). I can't imagine I'll be shooting 10 FPS for over four seconds so I'm not worried about that. The AF in the E-M1 is supposedly pretty good, but again, it doesn't need to be 1Dx level or anything. I shoot pretty often with my Ricoh GRii and the AF on that is HORRIBLY slow, but it's never gotten in my way. I've been in Sweden for a week, and well over 90% of the time I've just been using my 24mm STM and 35mm f2 so I think I'll be fine with those to focal lengths.

I think keeping my 7D and 24-105mm and maybe the 35mm f2 is a good idea, but I'm ready to go all in. I might get the 12-40mm Pro lenses first, and then go for the 25, and 17 last. For my style of photography, that's more than enough.

Ricoh GRii

Canon ­ Dog
Joined Oct 2011
Jul 07, 2017 17:57 |  #7

I kept my 7D when I bought my em5 II. I also have the 12-40 pro. It is a great lens. I also have the 25 f1.8 and the 12 f2.0. I chose the 12 over the 17 so that there was a little more separation from the 25.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jul 07, 2017 18:05 as a reply to Scottboarding's post |  #8

So get the Olympus already;-)a Makes sense if that's going to be your main camera that you'll be going for the m4/3 system lenses (to stay light).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Spacemunkie.
Jul 09, 2017 00:15 |  #9

Flog the Canon gear and make the switch!

I've been using M4/3 for a few years now and have really enjoyed it. The size and weight differential is pretty substantial and most lenses are considerably cheaper. I've been stung by the Olympus bodies I've owned, but the EM1 is a cut above the EM5 and shouldn't give you any trouble.

The Fuji gear you mentioned is beautifully made and the lenses really are lovely - M4/3 stuff just doesn't compare in this regard. Without a doubt Fuji produces noticeably better IQ.

The EM1 has the better AF though. Swings and roundabouts!

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photosexternal link

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,594 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Atlanta
Jul 09, 2017 16:48 |  #10

Three years ago the wife sold off our Canon stack of 7D, 5DIII, L glass...etc. We went with Olympus E-M1 with Pro lenses. The only changes we have made is to upgrade to the E-M1 II bodies. We do not regret the migration in the least.

Scottboarding
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2016
Jul 10, 2017 11:29 |  #11

MCAsan wrote in post #18398094 (external link)
Three years ago the wife sold off our Canon stack of 7D, 5DIII, L glass...etc. We went with Olympus E-M1 with Pro lenses. The only changes we have made is to upgrade to the E-M1 II bodies. We do not regret the migration in the least.

Glad to hear that! If you don't mind me asking, have you found that the lenses aren't as high of quality? The Olympus 25mm f.18 is $400 where as the canon 50mm f1.8 is only around $125. Even the Canon 1.4 is cheaper. I'm really starting to consider selling all of my Canon gear, and getting the E-M1, 12-40mm Pro, 17mm f1.8, and the 25mm f.18 but if the lenses aren't besting canon at three times the price, I might not.

Ricoh GRii

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,408 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by skygod44. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 10, 2017 19:16 |  #12

Another vote from me to sell the Canon gear, and go all-in with MFT.
Oh, and look at my sig.

Now, some detailed thoughts:

First and foremost, you said you're not rolling in cash, so I would recommend you also look at an Olympus PEN E-P5, to compare with the other bodies you're considering.
Main reason being lower price, and yet with excellent performance.

More reasons are:
1/8000s max. shutter = fantastic in bright light, without the cost of an ND filter.

Rear screen OR clip-on EVF (included) = excellent for street photography when you *want* to look like a mere snap-happy tourist.

More compact than a mini-SLR lookalike.
Also, very light.

Highly customisable if you want, or simple & manual, if you prefer.

I could go on, but after I sold my 6D, I kept my 7D while playing with my (then) brand new E-P5, and soon after resolved to move to MFT.

When the 7D went, along with all my L lenses, I bought an E-M5 mk2, a few MFT lenses, and haven't looked back once.

Oh, and although I try not to, I still get asked to do pro work - mostly in dingy dark concert halls shooting operas - and every customer is happy. So don't believe that MFT IQ is terrible compared with dSLR IQ. It all depends on who you're selling to, how good your PP skills are, and if you're able to use everything your camera can do.

I've attached a couple of snaps to show what MFT lenses can easily achieve in the real world, too.

Regards,
Simon

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,594 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Atlanta
Jul 11, 2017 16:53 as a reply to Scottboarding's post |  #13

In my opinion the Olympus Pro lenses are at least up to the same level as any Canon L glass. The Pro lenses are far better sealed.

Scottboarding
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2016
Jul 11, 2017 17:53 |  #14

MCAsan wrote in post #18399790 (external link)
In my opinion the Olympus Pro lenses are at least up to the same level as any Canon L glass. The Pro lenses are far better sealed.

That's awesome to hear! It was very rainy today in London (I'm also visiting London) and I had my 24-105mm on and it got soaked completely and it's still working great. So I'm glad the Pro lenses are better sealed than the L series.

Ricoh GRii

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Jul 12, 2017 01:45 |  #15

I'm in the middle of trying the switch (at least partially) to MFT from Canon. I started with the OM-D E-M10 II with the small consumer zooms 14-42EZ and 40-150R, then added the 17 1.8 for low light shooting. I was enjoying it quite a bit and loving the tiny size for travel and the times when I didn't really need great AF tracking (it does ok with slower subjects) and just planned on keeping it as a secondary system. The IQ is pretty good for consumer grade glass, and the 17mm is one of my favorite lenses on any system I've ever used. S-AF is super quick and IMO the high ISO noise and lack of bokeh aren't nearly the horrors that many people sound off about.

As luck would have it, my wife started complaining that she needed a better camera than her Powershot G11 about the same time I came across a screaming good deal on an E-M1 II. So she got the E-M10 II + 14-42EZ/40-150R and I upgraded. After using the E-M1 II for a bit, it's impressed me enough that I've decided to give it a shot as my primary camera system... the 12-40 PRO and 40-150 PRO are currently on order, so we'll see how it goes.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,994 views & 6 likes for this thread
Canon 7D to mirrorless; keep or sell the 7D
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.