Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 06 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 16:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Orlit RT 610 problems

KatManDEW
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jul 06, 2017 16:02 |  #1

I've been using the Orlit RT 610 with a Canon 5D Mark IV and a Canon ST-E3-RT transmitter. The Orlit RT 610 frequently loses the link with the ST-E3-RT transmitter and I have to power everything down and restart to reestablish the link. Sometime I have to do that several times to reestablish the link.

It not only loses the link to the ST-E3-RT transmitter, the output is sometimes unpredictable, especially in ETTL mode, but sometimes even in manual flash mode. Sometimes it will start popping at full power and the only way I can get it to stop doing that is to power everything off, including the camera and ST-E3-RT transmitter.

The Orlit RT 610 will also not work in group mode and ETTL with the ST-E3-RT transmitter. The only way I can use group mode is in manual mode.

I got the V1 firmware update but that did not solve the problem. So I sent the Orlit RT 610 back and got a new one with firmware V2, and it is no better.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that I am using a Canon 5D4, because my Yongnuo transmitter will not work with the 5D4? I tried my Canon 5DsR briefly yesterday and I was able to use group mode and ETTL with the ST-E3-RT transmitter.

Anyone have any info, thought's, or suggestions?

sponsored links
mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,069 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Jul 06, 2017 17:20 |  #2

Did you see this: http://flashhavoc.com ...0-hardware-update-program (external link) and is this what you meant by sending and a new back with firmware V2?

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jul 06, 2017 18:41 |  #3

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18395709 (external link)
Did you see this: http://flashhavoc.com ...0-hardware-update-program (external link) and is this what you meant by sending and a new back with firmware V2?

They sent me a link to the V1 firmware upgrade. I didn't help. So I sent the RT 610 back and exchanged if for a new one. The new one came with firmware V2 installed on it. The new RT 610 with V2 firmware doesn't work any better. It's frustratingly unreliable.

elv
Goldmember
1,466 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Jul 06, 2017 22:11 |  #4

KatManDEW wrote in post #18395755 (external link)
They sent me a link to the V1 firmware upgrade. I didn't help. So I sent the RT 610 back and exchanged if for a new one. The new one came with firmware V2 installed on it. The new RT 610 with V2 firmware doesn't work any better. It's frustratingly unreliable.

Something is definitely wrong if you can't get Group mode to start with.

I'm still on V1 with the RT 610 (will updated once I get a Windows 7 PC) and it works fine with the 5D mk4 and Canon ST-E3-RT (and Group Mode).

Could it possibly be the firmware in your camera?, mine is on 1.0.3.

Or possibly what other slave flashes are you running at the same time (if any)?, as other slaves can have an effect in the RT system.

At least you have an obvious sign that there's going to be issues, when the Group mode does't work. If you can't find a solution I would try exchanging the strobe again.

FLASHHAVOC.COMexternal link

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jul 07, 2017 19:51 |  #5

elv wrote in post #18395880 (external link)

I'm still on V1 with the RT 610 (will updated once I get a Windows 7 PC) and it works fine with the 5D mk4 and Canon ST-E3-RT (and Group Mode).

Or possibly what other slave flashes are you running at the same time (if any)?, as other slaves can have an effect in the RT system.

At least you have an obvious sign that there's going to be issues, when the Group mode does't work. If you can't find a solution I would try exchanging the strobe again.

Thanks for the feedback!

My camera firmware is 1.0.3.

Group mode not working in ETTL mode isn't the biggest problem. The worst problem is how it often loses the link with the ST-E3-RT :-(

The odd thing is that I can switch to manual flash and group mode works. When I do that and then switch back to ETTL, the RT 610 won't pop. Switch back to manual and all is fine.

I've tried it with all the other slaves in the group turned off, and that doesn't help.

Thanks again!!!

elv
Goldmember
1,466 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Jul 07, 2017 22:19 |  #6

Yep I understand Group mode is not the biggest problem, I just mean it gives you a clear indication there is still a problem, and likely still other issues to go along with it. So if you tried another strobe for example, and Group mode is still not working, you know straight away there are likley to be other linking issues etc still as well.

The only other thing I could think of is lenses. Because I still haven't been able to get the AF assist light to work with various third party transmitters, and I realized using different lenses on the 5D mk4 effects how many AF lights will be used when using a Canon 600EX-RT on camera. Sigma lenses, and even canon 50mm F1.8 allow 2 AF lights, where most of my Canon zooms only allow 1. So long story short, different lenses are having a different effect with the 5D mk4 to some degree as well.

Anyway I tried different lenses, and they all still worked correctly in TTL and manual, though straight after changing lenses a couple of times I did have the issue where the RT 610 would fire out of sync for the first 2 shots, and then it would stop firing at all. And I had to restart the strobe to get it to reset and fire again. The green link was not going out though. It doesn't do this every time I change lenses though.

It sounds like your issues probably are more 5D mk4 related though. The only other thing I can think is your ST-E3-RT may possibly be a slightly different era.

oximuis
Joined Sep 2014
Beaufort SC
Jul 10, 2017 22:39 |  #7

elv wrote in post #18395880 (external link)

There is not a V2 for the RT 610. There is a V2 for the transmitter.

Canon 5D Mark IV,Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100-400 Mark II L, Canon 24-70 Mark II, Tokina16-28, Tamron70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC, Samyang 14mm 2.8

elv
Goldmember
1,466 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Jul 11, 2017 00:44 |  #8

oximuis wrote in post #18399132 (external link)

Ok, sorry, I mean I'm on the original firmware, before the update (V1) was available for the strobe.

Are you using your 5D Mk4 OK with a Canon transmitter or master speedlite and the RT 610?

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jul 13, 2017 13:22 |  #9

oximuis wrote in post #18399132 (external link)

The second RT 610 they send me says V2 on the back when it powers up. The first one said V1 after I installed the firmware update on it.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jul 13, 2017 13:23 |  #10

elv wrote in post #18396761 (external link)
Yep I understand Group mode is not the biggest problem, I just mean it gives you a clear indication there is still a problem, and likely still other issues to go along with it. So if you tried another strobe for example, and Group mode is still not working, you know straight away there are likley to be other linking issues etc still as well.

The only other thing I could think of is lenses. Because I still haven't been able to get the AF assist light to work with various third party transmitters, and I realized using different lenses on the 5D mk4 effects how many AF lights will be used when using a Canon 600EX-RT on camera. Sigma lenses, and even canon 50mm F1.8 allow 2 AF lights, where most of my Canon zooms only allow 1. So long story short, different lenses are having a different effect with the 5D mk4 to some degree as well.

Anyway I tried different lenses, and they all still worked correctly in TTL and manual, though straight after changing lenses a couple of times I did have the issue where the RT 610 would fire out of sync for the first 2 shots, and then it would stop firing at all. And I had to restart the strobe to get it to reset and fire again. The green link was not going out though. It doesn't do this every time I change lenses though.

It sounds like your issues probably are more 5D mk4 related though. The only other thing I can think is your ST-E3-RT may possibly be a slightly different era.

Yes, I've wondered about the ST-E3-RT. I don't know what version it might be, but I got it late last year.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jul 13, 2017 13:24 |  #11

elv wrote in post #18399200 (external link)
Ok, sorry, I mean I'm on the original firmware, before the update (V1) was available for the strobe.

Are you using your 5D Mk4 OK with a Canon transmitter or master speedlite and the RT 610?

I'm using the 5D4 with a Canon ST-E3-RT transmitter, not a master speedlight.

oximuis
Joined Sep 2014
Beaufort SC
Jul 14, 2017 00:17 |  #12

KatManDEW wrote in post #18401245 (external link)
The second RT 610 they send me says V2 on the back when it powers up. The first one said V1 after I installed the firmware update on it.

Interesting ... the only downloads that I saw on Adorama's page was V1 for the strobe and V2 for the transmiter.

Canon 5D Mark IV,Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100-400 Mark II L, Canon 24-70 Mark II, Tokina16-28, Tamron70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC, Samyang 14mm 2.8

oximuis
Joined Sep 2014
Beaufort SC
Jul 14, 2017 00:20 |  #13

Oh snap they just charge it recently... I wonder what's new on the V2 update.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

elv
Goldmember
1,466 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Jul 14, 2017 00:50 |  #14

KatManDEW wrote in post #18401246 (external link)
Yes, I've wondered about the ST-E3-RT. I don't know what version it might be, but I got it late last year.

The only thing I can think of is to try another transmitter or Canon master unit. Adorama may even be able to help you with that.

Otherwise the main option is to try another strobe again, but maybe Adorama should test the one you send back first to see it they have the same issue.

If this was a wide spread problem we would be hearing a lot more people complaining, so I'm not sure what's going wrong.

You do have fresh alkaline batteries in the transmitter? (if there's any issues with radio gear that's the first thing I do, and it can makes a big difference).

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jul 14, 2017 09:50 |  #15

elv wrote in post #18401665 (external link)
The only thing I can think of is to try another transmitter or Canon master unit. Adorama may even be able to help you with that.

Otherwise the main option is to try another strobe again, but maybe Adorama should test the one you send back first to see it they have the same issue.

If this was a wide spread problem we would be hearing a lot more people complaining, so I'm not sure what's going wrong.

You do have fresh alkaline batteries in the transmitter? (if there's any issues with radio gear that's the first thing I do, and it can makes a big difference).

I have not been using alkaline batteries in the transmitter. I've been using freshly charged Eneloops. But I will try alkalines.

Thanks!!!

sponsored links

27,190 views & 13 likes for this thread
Orlit RT 610 problems
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.