Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography
Thread started 07 Jul 2017 (Friday) 14:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I turn to you fine gentlemen (and women)...

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,442 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Jul 07, 2017 14:04 |  #1

Looking for some advice here.

I am looking to start offering clients underwater photography. I ordered a Outex system the other day after looking at my options and was smart enough to not realize that radio triggers don't work underwater. So, I'm kinda back to square one.

Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere I can go to really handle underwater housing and get a feel for them. The internet is my friend in this case.

Here's the ability I need. I need to be able to use my 5D4 underwater with either a 35 f2 or 24-70 2.8 AT 24mm. I don't need zoom functionality. The other thing I need is the ability to trigger a strobe above the water. I've got a pretty long sync cord already that works with the camera (already tested). However, it won't work with my Godox trigger as there's no male sync port. It will however work with the flashes I need it to, but I'm then not sure it's long enough.

All that said, I can do all that with the Outex system, but by the time I have put everything together and added all their parts, It's over a $1k, which is pretty close to to a much more substantial housing system.

I'm considering the Ikelite and Aquatech systems. Do they offer the ability to do what I want? Do you have a preference between the two?

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

Foxtrot16
69 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Rockingham, Western Australia
Jul 10, 2017 22:38 |  #2

To be brutally honest with you - if $1000 is your limit then I would give up on the idea.

A good quality housing and port for a 5D Mk4 will be well over the $6000 AUD mark (bit less in USD) and this includes Aqautica, Ikelite, Nauticam, Subal etc.

You need a housing for the camera and a dome port for the lens if using a wide angle lens.

One option would be housings and port for surf photography as they aren't rated for depth but it depends on how deep you want to go - anything over 5m and you would need a proper dive housing.

You can get cheap housings but they are cheap and as they say 'quality products aren't cheap and cheap products aren't quality'!

Again, TBH I wouldn't be putting a 5D Mk4 in a cheap housing.

Also to fire the strobes you would have to look at using at using either fiber optic cables (most common now on new underwater set ups) or electronic cable but I don't think your idea will work.

Anyway, best of luck with your idea.

Karl

Canon 6D & 7D with Canon 17 - 40mm, Canon 24 - 105mm, Tamron 90mm macro & Sigma 70 - 200mm lenses
Olympus OMD EM-5 with the 12 - 50mm lens in a Nauticam Housing
Everyone is entitled to my opinion :p

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,442 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Jul 10, 2017 22:57 as a reply to Foxtrot16's post |  #3

I ended up ordering a Aquatech Elite this morning with the cords needed to sync flash from inside the housing. Cord will "plug" into the hot shoe none end with the other attached to the flash transmitter.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

652 views & 1 like for this thread
I turn to you fine gentlemen (and women)...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.