Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 08 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 13:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7D Mark III and 90D in early 2018?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Jul 20, 2017 09:54 as a reply to post 18406661 |  #16

Marm O. Set wrote:
--- Canons 1080p video quality gets spanked by every other brand out there. They NEED to fix this or they will be in trouble. And Canon, its 2017; 4K is a MUST ADD feature. Seriously, how can they not have this on most of their cameras by now?!?! I've used the 4K video on a 5D mark IV and its super lame how it is cropped to basically an APS-C size.

There is apparently a heat issue created with a FF sensor is used for 4K video capture at higher FPS, and Sony is now the subject of many of the claims of overheating, not just in the new A9 but also in other models.
So a 7DIII at 4K is not too farfetched a possibility, if the 5DIV crops down to APS-C video.

Marm O. Set wrote:
I didn't realize the light meter was missing from the mark ii. Yeah, bring that back! I can't believe they left that off.

They did not leave off the light metering scale, they simply repositioned the exposure metering scale in M mode to the right hand side of the viewfinder, while leaving the Exposure Compensation scale at the bottom of the viewfinder.

Marm O. Set wrote:
The way I see it, Canon is getting stomped by Sony and they really need to step up their game. Most of the Canon camera bodies come soooooo close to being awesome but then there is one or two features that make them "merely great" instead of awesome. I'd love to see Canon hit this one out of the ballpark.

Nikon has been losing market share to Sony, so it is Nikon getting 'stomped', particularly in their home market. But in April 2017, it was also announced that Sony has just overtaken Nikon in the full-frame interchangeable lens camera market in the U.S. Sony interchangeable lens camera and lenses are on a record sales pace this year, having grown 23 percent from the same period in 2016. But a flaw in that claim is that they are counting DOLLARS rather than UNITS. Another part of the claim is that the overall market has grown about 5% as a result of the Sony growth.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,013 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Christiansburg, VA
Jul 20, 2017 10:05 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #17

interesting; thanks for the feedback.

It will be interesting to see how Sony influences Canon's future decisions. There are interesting dynamics at play when you are strategizing your products. Your market share tends to determine how aggressive you should play. It seems like Canon is comfy in the #1 spot and is strategizing accordingly.

It might not make the best business sense for them but I would love for the 7D mark iii to really push some boundaries. A guy can dream, right? :rolleyes:

ma11rats
Joined Feb 2013
Az
Post has been edited 3 months ago by ma11rats.
Aug 03, 2017 22:25 |  #18

Marm O. Set wrote in post #18406704 (external link)
interesting; thanks for the feedback.

It will be interesting to see how Sony influences Canon's future decisions. There are interesting dynamics at play when you are strategizing your products. Your market share tends to determine how aggressive you should play. It seems like Canon is comfy in the #1 spot and is strategizing accordingly.

It might not make the best business sense for them but I would love for the 7D mark iii to really push some boundaries. A guy can dream, right? :rolleyes:

Don't expect boundaries pushed. That hasn't been their M.O. these last 8-10 years Same 24MP sensor that's out....because it's good(maybe different even though the original 7d had the 18mp that all the lower bodies had) flip touchscreen w/ 4k. Probably 12FPS/14 in liveview. The same AF system # of points but all points f8 lens combo accessible. And it'll get the 1Dx2 metering system.

So it'll be all around better, but not ground breaking. Honestly, without completely changing it's system, I'm not sure what it would have to include to be ground breaking. Adding DR and low noise high ISO is always a wish but seriously it's a really good camera already and adding a stop of gain in both of those wouldn't make the 7d3 ground breaking. I would love reduced/no AA filter but I know that could seriously add moire in feather/fur patterns for wildlife photographers, maybe a touch light on it's application??

Side note, the dual card slots is the only reason why I went 7d2 instead of the 80D.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
5D, 6D, 80D, 35f2IS, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, T 17-50f2.8

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Aug 11, 2017 14:54 |  #19

My opinion is that No One is going to jump on a 7D3 unless they can figure out how to get the noise under control with a crop sensor and they can make substantial gains in dark/shadow retention capabilities.

7D1 to a 7D2 jump got you a stop of ISO and a better af system and the AF system on the 7D1 was pretty good

Crop sensor is having a hard time keeping up with what they did with the new sensors on the 5D4 and 1Dx2

I see no reason to jump unless they can fix these issues

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Aug 11, 2017 15:29 |  #20

umphotography wrote in post #18425107 (external link)
My opinion is that No One is going to jump on a 7D3 unless they can figure out how to get the noise under control with a crop sensor and they can make substantial gains in dark/shadow retention capabilities.

Funny, I have a 7Dii and I have yet to be driven to paroxysms of despair over the noise level or shadow quality. I must be doing something wrong.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Aug 28, 2017 11:32 as a reply to joedlh's post |  #21

Me too, love the 7D2, but a better sensor and whatever upgrade goodies they'll give and I'll hve my 7D2 wore out and ready for a 7D3.. saving pennies now!

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Aug 28, 2017 11:49 as a reply to umphotography's post |  #22

This was a 100% crop comparison raw between the 5D3 and 7D2 at ISO 6400. There is noise, sure, but is it really out of control?

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Electronics/7D2-Tests/i-P39DWfW/1/1e43aa44/XL/7d5d6400_before-XL.gif

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,646 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Chet. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 29, 2017 14:02 |  #23

Per Canon Rumors.

Canon EOS 7D Mark III Specifications:
30MP sensor
4K video/30p 1.4x
12 fps
No AA filter
1D X Mark II focusing
Tilting touch screen
CFast/SD
Built-in Wi-Fi
Price around $2,000

Read more: http://www.canonrumors​.com ...rfaces-cr0/#ixzz4u60CfgLz (external link)

Worth noting of course from CR's own rating system.

[CR0] – Basically a joke
We don’t post these types of things very often, unless we see other sites posting something that is completely untrue and will never happen.

Read more: http://www.canonrumors​.com ...-explained/#ixzz4u6CDTJ​ge (external link)

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,013 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Christiansburg, VA
Sep 29, 2017 15:19 |  #24

yeah. I just read that, too.
here are my knee-jerk reactions:

1.4 crop for 4K? on top of an already 1.6 crop? sounds lousy. I hope they figure out a way to do 4K without cropping any further.

CFast doesn't surprise me; that's a lot of megapixels to move in a hurry.

I love the sound of the 1DX mk II focusing system. I hope it will have the same spread as the 7D mark II. That was one of the selling features for me because I tend to have odd compositions that need focus towards the borders.

I'm surprised they are putting the tilty screen on an 7D body. But I definitely welcome it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fps was 10 @ max resolution and 12 @ mRAW or something like that.

I know the list is very early but it sounds good so far.

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Oct 03, 2017 20:11 |  #25

The rumor of a 90D release next year has me wondering... What will Canon call their next xxD body after that? They can't call it 100D because (a) it doesn't fit with the xxD numbering scheme for their prosumer line (or is it enthusiast? I've never been good with marketing-speak), and, more importantly, (b) there already is one. Will they call it 90D Mark II, then Mark III, etc? Will they start over, call it a 10D Mark II, and go through all of the model numbers again that way? Will they buy a little bit of time by going to hexadecimal (A0, B0, etc.)? Burning questions these.

Maybe they should follow Apple's lead, get rid of numbers altogether, and name them after randomly chosen Japanese national parks. EOS Chubu-Sangaku anyone?

Mike (Secretly hoping they'll bring back the Elan name)

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

ma11rats
Joined Feb 2013
Az
Post has been edited 1 month ago by ma11rats.
Oct 03, 2017 21:36 as a reply to mcoren's post |  #26

I'm wondering less about the naming scheme and more of what could they possibly include to keep the bodies separated?

T6, SL2, T7i, 77D, 80D, 7D2 Then there's the M line M5, M6, M100.

I seriously don't know how they'll keep the lines separated 2 generations from now when they're currently so freaking close.

DPAF w/ touchscreen. 45+AFpts, Wifi, GPS, Blu, 24mp(how many more do consumers need?) in almost all of them. They're all pretty darn capable at the moment. We all would love a bit more DR but 1stop increments are all anyone would expect AT MOST from a Canon new release. (-6d2 results)

Seriously, Canon needs to step up it's mirrorless game more than make these consumers bodies.

Maybe one of them goes Hybrid EVF/OVF? Oooh add 4k in some cropped manner? Not exactly ground breaking...lol

Maybe the 90D will be the last one? Maybe it leaves room for the 77D to get 2-3 upgrades and fill that naming scheme in the crop bodies.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
5D, 6D, 80D, 35f2IS, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, T 17-50f2.8

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Oct 04, 2017 11:40 |  #27

ma11rats wrote in post #18465596 (external link)
I'm wondering less about the naming scheme and more of what could they possibly include to keep the bodies separated?

T6, SL2, T7i, 77D, 80D, 7D2 Then there's the M line M5, M6, M100.

I seriously don't know how they'll keep the lines separated 2 generations from now when they're currently so freaking close.

DPAF w/ touchscreen. 45+AFpts, Wifi, GPS, Blu, 24mp(how many more do consumers need?) in almost all of them. They're all pretty darn capable at the moment. We all would love a bit more DR but 1stop increments are all anyone would expect AT MOST from a Canon new release. (-6d2 results)

Seriously, Canon needs to step up it's mirrorless game more than make these consumers bodies.

Maybe one of them goes Hybrid EVF/OVF? Oooh add 4k in some cropped manner? Not exactly ground breaking...lol

Maybe the 90D will be the last one? Maybe it leaves room for the 77D to get 2-3 upgrades and fill that naming scheme in the crop bodies.

My post about the naming was meant to be facetious. Since this is a rumors forum, in the absence of real information, pretty much anything is fair game. :-)

Warning: I have formally studied neither production economics nor marketing, so take what follows with a healthy dose of salt.

Traditional economics of mass production states that the higher your volumes, the lower your per-item cost. This would argue for fewer models in order to allow the volumes of each to be higher, so your cost for each is lower. You can then either keep your prices the same and enjoy greater profits, or reduce your prices and capture marketshare from your competitors.

In the competitive consumer DSLR marketplace (which is arguably shrinking or at least flat), perhaps Canon's strategy is to have more models with different combinations of features at a variety of price points in order to appeal to a more broad base of buyers with different needs and budgets. The target market for all of these variations isn't the high-end user looking for a second body, it's the first-time DSLR buyer who is looking to move up from their phone camera. The more price points you have, the more chances you have to make that sale.

As long as the additional revenue this brings in is enough to offset the incremental cost of each one sold (due to lower production volumes), this strategy can work. I'm sure there are people at Canon whose job it is to find just that balance. Leveraging technology like sensors or AF systems between multiple models probably helps a lot.

Mike

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Oct 04, 2017 14:20 |  #28

joedlh wrote in post #18425145 (external link)
Funny, I have a 7Dii and I have yet to be driven to paroxysms of despair over the noise level or shadow quality. I must be doing something wrong.

Do you shoot in green leafy shade much with fast shutter speeds?

There is almost no red light in there, and the CFA filters already throw away 92% of the red light incident upon the top of the sensor.

There is lots of room for noise improvement over the 7D2 for some photography.

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Oct 05, 2017 04:31 |  #29

the 7D Mark III need to excel the D500 specs....

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Oct 12, 2017 16:26 |  #30

Canonrumors.com has posted "Another list of recycled specifications for the EOS 7D Mark III".

http://www.canonrumors​.com ...ng-with-some-opinion-cr0/ (external link)

This is rated as [CR0], which in their system means "basically a joke". But it’s fun to speculate.

The resolution has dropped from 30MP to 28, which I think is more realistic than 30 at this point. And of course, 4K video and tilting touch screen.

Personally, for the 7Diii, I think Canon should go with 24MP like the 80D, but optimize the heck out of the dynamic range and noise performance and give it an AF system to beat the Nikon D500. In that class of camera, I think a lot of 7Diii target customers would be willing to give up a few MP to get better DR and noise, even if they have to go less than 24MP

Then, six months later, release the 90D with a 28MP sensor.

The 70D was released in July 2013 and had 20MP. The 80D was released 2-1/2 years later in February 2016 with 24MP. I don’t think getting to 28MP another 2-1/2 years on, in the summer of 2018, will be such a stretch (which is easy for me to say since it’s not my job to do it!).

Mike

sponsored links

3,838 views & 16 likes for this thread
7D Mark III and 90D in early 2018?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.