Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 10 Jul 2017 (Monday) 12:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Smugmug cancellation policy - is it even legal? Rant

NBEast
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
So Cal
Jul 10, 2017 12:55 |  #1

I cancelled Smugmug last week (a work account; I'm still happy with my personal account). I was very surprised to learn they don't honor the remaining subscription time!

Seems to me; they should either refund the unused prorated amount or keep it open for the prepaid time remaining.

I didn't actually need it to remain open; it's just the principle of the matter.

Does anyone know the California law on subscriptions & fee retainment for early cancellation? At the least; I'd expect them to be obligated to have an option to keep it open until expiration.

Gear List / Photosexternal link

John
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Jul 10, 2017 13:25 |  #2

Hmm, is that actually their cancellation policy like written somewhere?

Hopefully not, I would give them the benefit of doubt that the person who cancelled it didn't realize it was prepaid to a certain date and just cancelled it because they saw the request to cancel it.

Was it a ticket you opened or is there an official automated cancellation process?

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

NBEast
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
So Cal
Jul 10, 2017 14:19 as a reply to John's post |  #3

The problem is this: they require auto-renewal with a valid credit card on file. If you want to flag the account for expiration when the time comes, you can't. Instead; you have to remember to cancel the day before it auto-renews or loose paid-for time.

You can't even just erase the credit card info; they only allow you to replace it with a valid one.

So; they're accepting money for a service (1 full year) but they don't make it easy to prevent the auto-renewal without loosing part of it.

It's a corporate credit card so even if they gladly refund it; I catch flak from the GM (who now copiously reviews every charge).

Even if it's legal, which I doubt, and abides to their small print; it's a sharp departure from Smugmug's usual "customer first" approach.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,453 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 10, 2017 16:20 |  #4

NBEast wrote in post #18398679 (external link)
I cancelled Smugmug last week (a work account; I'm still happy with my personal account). I was very surprised to learn they don't honor the remaining subscription time!

Seems to me; they should either refund the unused prorated amount or keep it open for the prepaid time remaining.

I didn't actually need it to remain open; it's just the principle of the matter.

Does anyone know the California law on subscriptions & fee retainment for early cancellation? At the least; I'd expect them to be obligated to have an option to keep it open until expiration.

Like it or not, I suspect it is legal in virtually all states. Smugmug is very clear on cancellation of their subscription at https://www.smugmug.co​m/about/terms (external link). In the paragraphs below, I've added "bold" and underlining for emphasis.

By way of example and not in limitation of the foregoing, if you request the termination of your Subscription and you have two months remaining in your Subscription Term, such termination is effective immediately and you will not have access to the Subscription Services for the remaining two months of such Subscription.

All Subscription Fees are nonrefundable. Upon termination, cancellation or discontinuation of your Subscription for any reason, you will not be entitled to receive a refund for any Subscription Fees or other amounts previously charged to you, or for any unused portion of any Subscription Fees if such termination, cancellation or discontinuation occurs prior to the expiration of the applicable Subscription Term.

NBEast
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
So Cal
Jul 10, 2017 17:11 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #5

Thanks for the legwork. I guess it just leaves the court of public opinion.

Its just irking to be cheated by the small print; particularly from a company I've trusted and recommended.

If they received payment for 12 months; they should deliver it. Legal binding or not.

562 views & 0 likes for this thread
Smugmug cancellation policy - is it even legal? Rant
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.