Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 10 Jul 2017 (Monday) 13:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dealing with trees

shane_c
607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Halifax, NS, Canada
Jul 10, 2017 13:09 |  #1

After years of shooting a mix of everything (except people) I’ve decided that I will remove BIF from my list of subjects and instead use that time on landscape photography. About 20 years ago it used to be my main subject so it’s a ‘homecoming’ of sorts. I’ve been watching a lot of videos online lately and am amazed by the gorgeous photos of mountains and valleys, etc…. It dawned on me a few days ago that this is going to be a lot harder than I remember. We have so many trees that unless I’m at the water’s edge you can’t really see very much. If I go hiking the only thing I can see is the path in front of me because the trees are so thick. Even sometimes driving along the coast the view is often obstructed by trees with glimpses here or there of the water.

Don’t get me wrong, I love trees but I wish our landscape was a little more varied sometimes. Can anyone else on here not see the landscape for the trees? I think I’ll have to focus on coastal landscapes. :-)

Canon 60D - Sigma 17-50 (2.8), Tamron 90 macro, Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 1.4x II
My Instagram (external link)

xdboardsurfer
Joined Nov 2010
Denver
Jul 11, 2017 22:42 |  #2

This is a little funny. I live in Colorado and all I have are mountains and more mountains. Believe it or not it gets a little old, and difficult trying to find a new angle. Things that are different and interesting are a significant drive away so I dont see them very often, but if I want the variety, just have to bite that bullet.

I started trying to shoot the mountains in different ways, with different lenses hoping for a different and interesting result. Sometimes it works. Other times it's just a nice day in the mountains. Neither are bad days. :-)

My suggestion is to look for different angles, details, lighting, perspective. When the subject matter doesnt change much, you have to make your own changes to see something new. Since you're just getting back into it, everything is new again!

60D | 14 | 28 | 17-40L | 85 | 70-200L

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Jul 11, 2017 22:46 as a reply to xdboardsurfer's post |  #3

Sound advise.
I would just go out and shoot.
I live in a concrete desert and always find some interesting stuff to shoot :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Halifax, NS, Canada
Jul 12, 2017 03:27 |  #4

Thanks for the replies! I'll be heading to the Yukon for a vacation soon so will get to see lots of mountains and amazing scenary while I'm there!

In the meantime, I've started a personal map on Google Maps and have been adding different points of interest around my province to photograph. So far they are almost solely along the coast, with the exception of a few waterfalls, but maybe I will come across a few breaks in the trees along the way.

Canon 60D - Sigma 17-50 (2.8), Tamron 90 macro, Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 1.4x II
My Instagram (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Jul 14, 2017 07:13 |  #5

shane_c wrote in post #18398697 (external link)
Don’t get me wrong, I love trees but I wish our landscape was a little more varied sometimes. Can anyone else on here not see the landscape for the trees? I think I’ll have to focus on coastal landscapes. :-)

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, or something like that. I mean, if you're stuck with them, embrace the trees. It's actually quite challenging to get a decent forest shot, finding a clean and simple composition amidst the chaos of a forest that is, which makes it kind of fun to try. Check this guy for inspiration, if you need it anyway.

https://www.flickr.com ...mark_lj/with/291861​66125/ (external link)

Flickrexternal link

654 views & 5 likes for this thread
Dealing with trees
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.