Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel
Thread started 13 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 11:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Europe Trip 2018 Questions

mattmiller03
Joined Jun 2016
Post has been edited 5 months ago by mattmiller03.
Jul 13, 2017 11:21 |  #1

I am traveling to Europe (Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, & UK) for 3 weeks. I have a T3i currently. I have debated over and over again about upgrading to a 6D or a 5D3. My lenses are basic at this time (kit lenses) and I know this will definitely need to be upgraded. I am looking to add a 24-105 and a 24MM or a 17-55. What are your thoughts about using these lenses with my original T3i?

Cities we are visiting on the trip:
Barcelona
Cannes
Rome
Catania Sicily
Venice
Florence
Lugano, Switzerland
Grindelwald, Switzerland
Munich
Salzberg
Paris
London

sponsored links
drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Jul 13, 2017 11:48 |  #2

Why do you want to upgrade? For your travels? What do you want to shoot there? What do you generally shoot?

Donate if you love POTN

mattmiller03
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2016
Jul 13, 2017 11:54 as a reply to drmaxx's post |  #3

I want to upgrade to a FF. My shots are landscape and architecture. My soon to be wife and I travel as much as we can. In the last 2 years we have gone on 2 separate 9 day cruises. This will be a major trip for us spending 3 weeks in Europe. We have booked another cruise in Jan 2019 in the Caribbean again. When I am in Europe I want capture scenery (from foot and train), I want to capture the Swiss Alps (Grindelwald & Interlaken)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2010
Chicago
Jul 13, 2017 12:30 |  #4

You can't go wrong with a full frame camera and a 24-105 or a crop with an 18-135. Mix in a small prime for low light or as a lightweight option or an ultra wide and you have a great travel setup.

Add a small tripod and a CPL, maybe an external flash as well.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G15 • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 24-70L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 1.4x • 600EX II • 270 EX II

mattmiller03
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2016
Jul 13, 2017 12:36 as a reply to Tommydigi's post |  #5

50 1.4? 35 f/2?

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2010
Chicago
Jul 13, 2017 12:44 |  #6

There are lots of good prime lenses, It really just depends on the FL you like to shoot at. My personal favorite is the 24LII but I always hear the 35 2.0 IS is outstanding so that would probably be my first choice if I only had 1 prime.

Canon 5DII • 7DII • G15 • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 24-70L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 1.4x • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Jul 13, 2017 13:05 |  #7

I love these threads because I'm horrible at making decisions...and if I were to ever do a nice trip like this it would totally break my brain :)

Such a difficult decision since you want to take every lens but can't.

I always promote the 24-105 II but feel like one of the few. I see it as the highest quality do-it-all lens (as close as possible). Great on a FF camera! Still too tight at 24mm on a crop sensor in my opinion, even though I used it like that for years. It's pretty heavy, but take only that (on a FF) and call it a day with no lens swapping. I guess you could add in a small prime too if you wanted to go light by leaving one at the hotel or wherever you're staying. I just got the 35mm 2.0 IS and it sure is nice and light compared to a zoom. 35mm on a FF = great compromise.

17-55 would be a nice range on the T3i for what you're doing.

Orogeny
Joined Aug 2003
Houston, Texas
Jul 13, 2017 13:33 |  #8

Whenever I read threads about someone going to Europe for the first time, it always makes me smile. I love the few trips we have been able to take.

While everyone will recommend wide and wider, for a reason, I would also add that you might want to bring a 70-200 f/4 IS. There are some spectacular details in the buildings and cathedrals in Europe that you will not be able to capture with a 24-105 (which I think is a perfect match for a full frame camera in Europe). In addition, the 70-200 will allow you to get some great landscape shots.

Tim

There's someone in my head, and it's not me! - Roger Waters

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/orogeny/ (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2010
Chicago
Jul 13, 2017 13:53 as a reply to Orogeny's post |  #9

You are right, I generally prefer to shoot wide. I was in Italy and my longest lens was a 50mm. I really wish I took my 135 but that's just a motivation to go back. :-}

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jul 13, 2017 13:56 |  #10

You definitely want to bring a wide angle lens. I think 24mm is too long for our old cities, especially on a crop camera, but even on a full frame I would want something wider. So I would definitely take the 17-55 over a 24-105. And I agree with Tim, above, that something longer, like a 70-200mm, or whatever you maybe already have, to shoot details with, is also a good idea. I would also bring a simple standard lens, like the old 50/1.8 II. It's small, doesn't weigh anything, and takes surprisingly good shots. Perfect for restaurants and indoor stuff where light is low.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Jul 13, 2017 15:11 |  #11

mattmiller03 wrote in post #18401190 (external link)
I want to upgrade to a FF. My shots are landscape and architecture. My soon to be wife and I travel as much as we can. In the last 2 years we have gone on 2 separate 9 day cruises. This will be a major trip for us spending 3 weeks in Europe. We have booked another cruise in Jan 2019 in the Caribbean again. When I am in Europe I want capture scenery (from foot and train), I want to capture the Swiss Alps (Grindelwald & Interlaken)

You seem not to have the need for speed and therefore I would think any newer FF sensor is a great improvement over your current body. I personally, would go for the latest sensor you can afford. As for lenses on travel: I like to have one general walk around zoom lens. My favorite is currently the 24-70/2.8 which is great combined with the 6D. This combo is what I grab in the morning and use and carry into the night and it performs just about anywhere and anytime - hiking or in the city. The only thing, I am missing is an on-board flash (mostly as fill light).
As for the Swiss alps: It's not just about the mountains. There are many great details that are quite unique (wonderfully perfectly arranged woodpiles, pitoresk houses, ....). If you don't intend to hike and stay with ship or train then I would recommend to get a good and long (zoom) lens.

Donate if you love POTN

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,033 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Jul 13, 2017 15:28 |  #12

mattmiller03 wrote in post #18401161 (external link)
I am traveling to Europe (Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, & UK) for 3 weeks. I have a T3i currently. I have debated over and over again about upgrading to a 6D or a 5D3. My lenses are basic at this time (kit lenses) and I know this will definitely need to be upgraded. I am looking to add a 24-105 and a 24MM or a 17-55. What are your thoughts about using these lenses with my original T3i?

Three days per country dosen't really allow you much time to explore each country that you visit.
Where are you planning on visiting in the UK?

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

mattmiller03
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2016
Jul 13, 2017 15:34 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #13

taking the train into London but we are open to ideas.

mattmiller03
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2016
Jul 13, 2017 15:36 as a reply to drmaxx's post |  #14

we are going to be staying in Grindelwald, Switzerland and plan on doing some hiking. I rented a AirBNB chalet there for the 3 days we are there. I am fully intending on not only taking photos of the breathe taking Swiss Alps but all the woodwork we will see there.

mattmiller03
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2016
Jul 17, 2017 12:22 |  #15

SO my main question is, should I just upgrade the glass or should I upgrade the glass and the body? Thoughts?

sponsored links

1,562 views & 5 likes for this thread
Europe Trip 2018 Questions
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.