Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel
Thread started 13 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 11:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Europe Trip 2018 Questions

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Jul 17, 2017 12:33 |  #16

mattmiller03 wrote in post #18404125 (external link)
SO my main question is, should I just upgrade the glass or should I upgrade the glass and the body? Thoughts?

There is no reason why the current set up should not be able to create great pictures. However, if you're going to get new body and glass sometime after the trip you always will ask yourself if the picture wouldn't have been better. It's BS and I know it, but this is still how I look at the pictures taken with older cameras. Therefore: Save yourself this hassle and get both, new body (quite some improvement in IQ) and glass to match your needs and the capability of the new body for your exciting trip to Europe.

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links
mikepj
196 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Central Michigan
Jul 17, 2017 20:40 |  #17

My first reaction is that you're trying to see too much of Europe in the 3 weeks you are there. We just got back from spending 3 weeks just in Spain, and there are still areas that we didn't get a chance to hit that I'd love to visit. You'll be wasting several days just traveling by train/air instead of spending that extra time exploring one of the cities you are visiting. Cut your location list in half and plan to go back for round 2 later.

To answer your question though, it sounds like you already have plans to buy a full frame camera at some point. The 17-55 is an amazing crop sensor lens, and I love it for travel, but if you buy it now it won't do you any good when you eventually move to a full frame body. That being said, if you end up wanting the cheapest upgrade that will make the biggest improvement in your photos, get the 17-55 to pair with your T3i and be done with it.

If you decide to go full frame before the trip though, you have a lot of options. Before choosing full frame though, realize that you are adding a lot of weight to your kit by doing so. Full frame cameras are heavier, and full frame lenses are a lot heavier. The lightest full frame setup would be a 6D with either a 24-70 f4 or 16-35 f4 zoom, or a couple of shorter length primes (24, 35, 40, 50, 85 are all good options, but not as versatile as a zoom).

If I had to pick just one travel lens for a full frame camera (definitely not a crop), it would be the 24-105. It's just a very broad focal length, and while the lens isn't perfect, it does the job very well. Version 2 of the 24-105 is quite a bit heavier while not offering much better image quality, so if weight is important to you try to find a version 1. You can still get them new pretty cheap on canonpricewatch.com.

For Europe though, you will want to go ultra wide for anything indoors. On our trip I mentioned above, I took a 5D Mark II with a 24-105 and a 16-35 f4. 70% of my photos were taken with the 16-35, and only 30% with the 24-105. While there, I would carry the 24-105 if most of the time was going to be spent touring a city or countryside. But if we planned to visit a castle or cathedral, I would take the 16-35 instead because having that wider focal length is incredibly useful indoors.

A 70-200 wouldn't be a bad way to go either, especially for the Alps. Get the f4 IS model to save some weight. You'll be walking a lot, and carrying too much glass can make a trip miserable. If you end up with a 24-105, keep in mind that on your T3i that's a 38-168mm equivalent. So you can get most of the focal length of a 70-200 by bringing your T3i along and using the 24-105.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark II, 7D Mark II, 16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM
EOS M, EF-M 22 ƒ2 STM

dashotgun
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
The Tar Heel state
Jul 19, 2017 10:03 as a reply to post 18404125 |  #18

camera equipment is a bottom less hole. Personally I think you should work on the basics at this point I could take a good picture with a point and shoot. Learn iso, framing shutter speed. I would buy and use photoshop and shoot in raw that can make a huge difference in your photos. The 18-55 is a great lens in fact I just bought one. I have a 17-55 if you are interested( it is great lens just heavy). the 10-18 wide angle stm is very good as well inexpensive and light. I sometimes lug my 70-200 around it is superb lens and as some said can pick out nice details. two lenses same body and a monthly rental of ps cc will cost less then the full frame body. For most of us the full frame is nice. I think I get nice pictures with my 7d mrk ii check out my gallery

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams
http://Davidsdigitalvi​sion.zenfolio.comexternal link

backn4th
Joined Nov 2014
'straya
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by backn4th. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 04, 2017 18:26 as a reply to post 18401270 |  #19

Levina's post of July 14 contains very good advice. I see the most recent reply was 3 weeks ago, if you haven't travelled yet .. here's mine. I travelled through some of your listed cities in August 2014 with a Canon 550D (T2i) 18-55 and nifty 50. I should have taken my 55-250, was trying to save weight ... a mistake. I found in Europe I needed both shorter and longer lenses. Have recently upgraded to an 80D and added a 10-20 lens. Am sure you'll enjoy hiking around Grindelwald, we stayed at Lauterbrunnen for a few nights. Rail trip to Jungfraujoch was fantastic, received good advice in buying ticket on the morning of travel in case mountain was clouded in. Were lucky to have a perfect morning up there. Having stayed in a few of the other delightful cities in your plan, If you take your T3i, I think you'll be disappointed if you don't have a shorter lens with you. I also carried a point & shoot for times a 'short walk' for a meal without 550D didn't become a missed photo opportunity.

Striving for Mediocrity

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Aug 04, 2017 19:16 |  #20

mattmiller03 wrote in post #18404125 (external link)
SO my main question is, should I just upgrade the glass or should I upgrade the glass and the body? Thoughts?

that all depends on how much you want to spend...the cheaper route is just to add lenses to your current body...adding a FF body, and then getting corresponding lenses will be quite a bit more money

if i were you i'd grab the 17-55f2.8IS you were thinking of, a 10-18IS, 55-250STM, and a prime of some sort, 35f2, or 50mm...i think that is all small enough to fit into a messenger bag and could be done relatively cheap:

17-55=$650
10-18=$250
55-250STM=$230
prime=$100-400
total would be $1230-$1530

say you grab a used 6D for $1,000

24-105=$500
17-40/16-35IS=$600/$900
70-200f4IS=$850
prime=$100-400

total with new body $2550-$3150

i'm not sure if you could fit the FF set up into a messenger bag, and you'd come up shorter on the long end

so, how much do you want to spend?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Aug 04, 2017 19:25 |  #21

After spending 3 weeks in Italy, the only advice I can give you is - Go Wide. As wide as you can afford to go. I loved my 16-35 F4, but 16mm on full frame was not wide enough for a lot of inside shots.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

mattmiller03
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2016
Aug 07, 2017 09:05 as a reply to backn4th's post |  #22

thank you!! I haven't traveled yet. We are leaving in May 19th 2018.

sponsored links

1,339 views & 5 likes for this thread
Europe Trip 2018 Questions
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.