Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 13 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 13:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Pricing for high end architectural shoot

KatManDEW
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jul 13, 2017 13:25 |  #1

A potential client has seem some of my architectural photos. He has a 3 million dollar home and he wants some extensive photography which will probably require at least 8 hours of actual photographing, spanning several days (for the best light). And a considerable amount of time processing HDR’s (realistic HDR’s).

The job would be much more extensive than any other architectural job I’ve done. Any suggestions on a price to quote?

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jul 13, 2017 13:57 |  #2

Day rate + processing time.

Depending on your technique, processing time can be half or even as much as the time spent doing the photography. At the very least I'd charge half a day rate for processing.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Jul 13, 2017 15:58 |  #3

In my experience, non-corporate clients understand hourly pricing best. I would show a schedule of expected hours on which day, add expected post processing time, add your hours up and multiply by your hourly rate. If there are substantial changes to the schedule or amount of time involved, then your fees can easily be adjusted. You can give discounts by reducing the time without compromising your perceived value. My rate for commissioned work is $250 an hour.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 13, 2017 15:59 |  #4

$100hr for photography and $50/hr for processing.

No, he can't buy the photography without the processing; its just a lower hourly rate because your CODB is significantly lower (sitting at the computer at home, not lugging expensive gear around in the July heat and humidity)

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jul 13, 2017 16:13 |  #5

I second the two posts above. Also, with some clients it's best to include everything in the same, final price, as they sometimes tend to try to pick and choose from an itemised quote ("just give me the RAWs, I'll have my designer do the post").

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jul 13, 2017 16:16 |  #6

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18401328 (external link)
In my experience, non-corporate clients understand hourly pricing best.

yes and no. They will probably want to know, or you can go in saying something like "$1000 includes all [your list of stuff] and approximately 8 hours of on site photography and 8 hours of editing and print making. I do not get too specific with time, if you get the shot list complete faster it does not mean less money in your pocket.

be very specific about what you are going to shoot and the number of shots to be provided. Include timing and insist that the property be kept ready to shoot at a moments notice during the potential work period.

If they screw something up, you have the right to charge more.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jul 13, 2017 16:17 |  #7

Alveric wrote in post #18401336 (external link)
I second the two posts above. Also, with some clients it's best to include everything in the same, final price, as they sometimes tend to try to pick and choose from an itemised quote ("just give me the RAWs, I'll have my designer do the post").

exactly!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Post has been edited 4 months ago by KatManDEW.
Jul 13, 2017 17:53 |  #8

Thanks to everyone for the replies! It really helps to hear what you all think about it!
The more I think about it after reading what you have all said, I think hourly may be the way to go, especially since what the client said and showed me when I met him at his place, made it seem a bit "open ended", and he could keep wanting me to come back over and over again to capture photos during sunsets, and from a boat, etc (the property is on a lake).

Thanks again!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jul 13, 2017 18:03 |  #9

KatManDEW wrote in post #18401395 (external link)
Thanks to everyone for the replies! It really help to hear what you all think about it!
The more I think about it after reading what you have all said, I think hourly may be the way to go, especially since what the client said and showed me when I met him at his place, made it seem a bit "open ended", and he could keep wanting me to come back over and over again to capture photos during sunsets, and from a boat, etc (the property is on a lake).

Thanks again!

i would strongly suggest not having an open ended deal.

at the very least, establish a working relationship with him on the first job and work from there.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jul 13, 2017 19:45 |  #10

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18401403 (external link)
i would strongly suggest not having an open ended deal.

at the very least, establish a working relationship with him on the first job and work from there.

I like that idea. I've decided to offer two packages, with details on maximum time, what is to be photographed and delivered, and the option to work from there for additional time/work at $150 per hour, which is the rate used for each of the packages.

I'll ley you all know how it goes. Thanks again!

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Sep 22, 2017 17:33 |  #11

BTW: I didn't get the job. The client apparently went with a drone photographer. I've seen some of the photos and they are dreadful.

tcphoto1
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Sep 23, 2017 10:52 |  #12

I would be prepared for the call to fix what the first person shot. Sometimes, a potential client can only see the price tag and not the quality.

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 23, 2017 12:36 |  #13

Price tag and/or stylish factor. One can sux stylishly too.

sponsored links

1,348 views & 10 likes for this thread
Pricing for high end architectural shoot
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.