Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 13 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 21:31
Prev/next
Poll"register with FAA?"
yup
36.8%
nah
63.2%

19 voters, 19 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

if you bought a drone right now, would you register it?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Post has been edited 3 months ago by DreDaze.
Jul 13, 2017 21:31 |  #1

question is pretty much in the title...i'm looking at i think either the spark, or mavic...if i were to buy it i'm not sure if i should register it or not...not sure if there are any pros or cons for or against, so just wondering other's thoughts on the subject

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Jul 14, 2017 00:06 |  #2

It depends on your local laws. In the US the courts have just overturned the FAAs requirement for mandatory registration so it is no longer necessary.

https://petapixel.com ...tion-refund-deletion-faa/ (external link)

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,690 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Post has been edited 3 months ago by DreDaze.
Jul 14, 2017 00:17 |  #3

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18401637 (external link)
It depends on your local laws. In the US the courts have just overturned the FAAs requirement for mandatory registration so it is no longer necessary.

https://petapixel.com ...tion-refund-deletion-faa/ (external link)

yeah, that's the main reason i'm wondering...i know it's no longer necessary, but i think they still recommend it for some reason...right now i don't see a reason to...i can save my $5 for a beer

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Jul 14, 2017 05:24 |  #4

DreDaze wrote in post #18401527 (external link)
...not sure if there are any pros or cons for or against

Same situation for motor vehicles really, the reason for requiring registering is to [try] enforce compliance to the regulations.
In the same fashion, the people who don't comply with regulation, are usually the very people who don't care or bother with the registration requirement.

Thankfully there is no requirement in New Zealand to register drones [yet...]

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,913 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jul 14, 2017 06:29 |  #5

The reason the FAA was ruled against is because the FAA is only allowed to register aircraft and not people. The way they did the registration is against the rules laid out for the FAA. I think we will see continual change so I would wait it out.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Jul 14, 2017 06:43 |  #6

joeseph wrote in post #18401748 (external link)
Same situation for motor vehicles really, the reason for requiring registering is to [try] enforce compliance to the regulations.
In the same fashion, the people who don't comply with regulation, are usually the very people who don't care or bother with the registration requirement.

this.

with the ignorance and paranoia of certain demographics (including the occasional law enforcement official) in the US lately, I would make sure to have proper paperwork on hand. It might not completely diffuse the situation but it would at least be a start.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,690 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jul 14, 2017 15:40 |  #7

joeseph wrote in post #18401748 (external link)

Thankfully there is no requirement in New Zealand to register drones [yet...]

there's no requirement here right now either...but it seems to be in limbo...they obviously want to do something, but their first idea got thrown out, so now they are offering refunds for those that registered

right now i don't really see any benefit, or need to register it if i buy one

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jul 14, 2017 15:43 |  #8

If its not legally required, then heck no.

Privacy is nearly priceless these days. I would pay to not be on some list out there for some future scheme to be modeled off.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,040 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Jul 15, 2017 19:13 |  #9

MalVeauX wrote in post #18402147 (external link)
If its not legally required, then heck no.

Privacy is nearly priceless these days. I would pay to not be on some list out there for some future scheme to be modeled off.

Very best,

Be careful with how tightly you cling to a vague concept of privacy: The kinds of things done by those looking to avoid notice are typically the same kind of things that attract notice and suspicion. :P

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by nathancarter. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 17, 2017 09:35 |  #10

Note that the rules are different for a hobbyist flying just for fun, vs someone using the drone to make money.

If you're adding aerial photos to your wedding or real-estate packages, selling aerial photos, or using the drone for any other commercial venture, I strongly encourage you to do more research before choosing whether to register. The laws have been changing very rapidly over the past couple of years, almost as rapidly as the technology.

Source: married to a registered, licensed, and insured aerial photographer/videograp​her.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jul 25, 2017 15:14 |  #11

I have read many posts on this topic, here on POTN. . Many people have, for the past several months, spoken about the dire necessity of doing everything "by the book" and studying all of the related laws to make sure that one is in full compliance when using a drone. . For me, this makes little sense.

I think that the area in which one uses the drone may have something to do with it.

I get the feeling, when reading posts on the topic, that some of you are trying to use drones in areas where there are roads, houses, parks, power lines, airports, etc. . I guess if you want to use a drone in an area where there is a human population, then it may makes sense to abide by all of the complex rules.

However, I always associated drones with wilderness areas......after all, I can't understand why anyone would want their arial videos and stills cluttered up with a bunch of man-made objects.

Below is an area near my place, which is representative of the region in which I live. . There are vast expanses of forests and mountains with nary a building or a paved road or an airport for miles and miles and miles. . And these areas are barely ever patrolled by any kind of authorities - I have spent entire weekends in these areas and never seen or heard another human or another vehicle.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
For those who only want to use drones in these types of areas, I don't see the sense in registration, filing flight plans and schedules, etc. . Just go fly the thing, because there are no humans anywhere who will ever know you or your drone were even there. . And if there did happen to be somebody there, they wouldn't care a whit that you are flying a drone, anyway.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Jul 26, 2017 12:32 |  #12

Drones should be registered and forced to have id beacons. The dumb ones fly the drones above runway approaches. One person put his drone over a medivac chopper preventing it taking off with a 12 year old in serious condition. A few will ruin it for everyone.

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,690 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jul 26, 2017 14:07 |  #13

filmuser wrote in post #18411810 (external link)
Drones should be registered and forced to have id beacons. The dumb ones fly the drones above runway approaches. One person put his drone over a medivac chopper preventing it taking off with a 12 year old in serious condition. A few will ruin it for everyone.

How would registering stop people from doing stupid things?

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,020 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Jul 26, 2017 14:30 |  #14

filmuser wrote in post #18411810 (external link)

It is unfortunate about how -- all TOO OFTEN -- the CA fire fighters who fight wildfires have to GROUND the air support that drops fire retardants and water because of the fools flying a drone!
Drones should at least have radar transponders so that their presence in the sky and altitude are visible on the radar of nearby aircraft or ground based monitoring stations, rather than dependent upon visual sighting to alert of their presence.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jul 26, 2017 17:59 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #15

That's just another example of the problems with flying these things in areas where there are human populations.....which is just stupid.

Folks should only fly them in areas where it is appropriate to do so - where there isn't anything at all for them to interfere with.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

sponsored links

4,316 views & 9 likes for this thread
if you bought a drone right now, would you register it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.