Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 15 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 09:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Elk vs. Photographer | Great Smoky Mountains National Park

lijoec
Joined Jan 2009
Long Island
Jul 15, 2017 09:39 |  #1

https://youtu.be/xGQEx​gOxZMQ (external link)

Does anyone here know who this is? or if there is any pictures to be seen from that camera he was holding? I'm just curios as to if the situation was worth the danger, it could have gone so much worse.

Cheers,
Joe

mfturner
Joined Mar 2013
Longmont, CO
Jul 16, 2017 20:37 |  #2

Thanks for posting, that's an interesting video. I'm not sure what I would have done, I probably would have stood up to confront it or run once it was within 10 feet or so. I don't care for super close up photos anyway, the perspective from anything the guy may have gotten from his hip shooting would be distorted like a WA portrait with a person. It strikes me as a young buck learning how to compete with other bucks for a harem, and that it wanted the human to respond like another buck for practice fighting, but what do I know.

Both times I've backpacked in the Rocky Mountain National Park I've had elk in my camp. The first time, 20 years ago, a small herd moved in after dark and settled down, I had one snoring within 10 ft of me all night. They moved out before my 400 ASA film and f/2.5 lens in the day could get enough light for a decent picture. The second time was early this week, 20 years later. No antlered males, only a handful of cows and a couple of nursing fawns, I guess you call young elk fawns and adult female elk cows. They saw my daughter and I the whole time, from about 100 yards away through some trees, and watched us as they picked their path through our camp maybe as close as 15 ft away and on downhill. We did not follow, and made an effort to not resemble predators to make the mothers protective of their young. So generally I'm not too nervous around the main herd, but I do know male elk and moose around here in CO have injured people, especially in the fall when they start rutting.

The only two antlered males I saw on this trip were older than the buck in this video, but in both cases I saw them from Trail Ridge Road, I think they've learned humans in the park are not predators. One with a monster rack was sitting on a hill as if holding court with a huge line of stopped cars and people trying to get its picture, a really funny sight. If my daughter and I weren't so beat from the hiking and needing showers I might have stopped and taken a picture of the whole scene with my cell phone to get a wide enough angle view.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Jul 22, 2017 18:42 |  #3

lijoec wrote in post #18402599 (external link)
https://youtu.be/xGQEx​gOxZMQ (external link)

Does anyone here know who this is? or if there is any pictures to be seen from that camera he was holding? I'm just curios as to if the situation was worth the danger, it could have gone so much worse.

There's written information about the photographer and the elk in the link to the video that you provided.

flickr (external link)

605 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elk vs. Photographer | Great Smoky Mountains National Park
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.