Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 07:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Looking to upgrade to full frame camera and need suggestions

kyleriffs
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 16, 2017 07:47 |  #1

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum. I've been using a Canon EOS 600D for 3 years now and I'm looking to upgrade to a full frame camera, preferably Canon.

I'm interested in landscape photography, astrophotography, car/motorbike photography and portraits. Weather sealed is important and image quality at high ISO for astrophotography is important.

My budget will be around £2000 for a body or slightly more depending on circumstances

Any advice/help would be appreciated

sponsored links
Petie53
342 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Jul 16, 2017 07:56 |  #2

Weather sealing really only applies to the 5 and 1 series cameras and even then it is never totally sealed. It also requires lenses that have sealing rings at the mount surface. Do you own any lenses for full frame or just the EF-S series for your current camera?

Most likely you will be looking at a 5D Mark III used or refurbished.

Pete
6D, 60D, EOS-M, EOS-M3, 22M, 11-22M, 18-55M, 55-200M, 15L 2.8 fisheye, 10-22 EFS, 35 F/2 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70L 2.8 II, 70-300L, 100-400L II

kyleriffs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 16, 2017 08:12 |  #3

Doesn't have to be water proof. I live in Wales, UK and it rains a lot here so chances are on some of my shoots the weather won't be great. Yeah just the kit lens for my 600D at the moment, I was looking at the Rokinon 24mm f1.4 lens just because it's meant to be better than the Canon equivalent for astrophotography. And I can get the 5D Mark III new here for £1999

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,280 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 16, 2017 08:20 |  #4

Petie53 is one generation behind. The 7D2 is, and the 6D2 will be, weather-sealed. As he states, no Canon DSLR is totally sealed.

The 80D (aps-c) is hugely better at high-ISO than any other aps-c Canon body. The 6D (best-high ISO Canon body when it was new... 5 years ago) is less than one-stop better. The 6D2 should improve on that. The 6D is (very) slightly better at high-ISO than the 5D3. The 6D & 5D4 can AF at -3EV; the 5D3 at -2EV.

Canon has been making strides in sensor dynamic range, and high-ISO abilities lately. For what I do with a camera, ISO is no longer and issue. I don't mind shooting my 80D at 16000, or my 6D at 25600, when necessary. I like a lot of the new features on my 80D: anti-flicker, killer AF, DPAF for LV & video, flippy screen. Canon does not currently sell a camera with all the combined features of the 6D & 80D. The 5D4 comes close; it lacks the flippy screen. The 6D2, to be released in about 10 days, does offer all the combined features of the 6D & 80D. The only thing that concerns me about that body is the AF-point spread.

Tom

kyleriffs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 16, 2017 08:38 |  #5

It's not a problem as I won't be submerging it in to water but there's been times when I've set my camera up for a timelapse and it's started raining or going out early in the winter mornings in the fog. If worst comes to the worst I could set up a tarp over the camera.

I couldn't imagine going to a camera now without the pull out screen so that's kind of essential for me because it's come in handy so many times and I play guitar so if I'm recording a video and the camera is pointed at me then I need to be able to see the screen.

Bear in mind I'm not a professional with cameras and am still learning, I try to use manual focus whenever I can

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jul 16, 2017 08:43 |  #6

Sony A7S used or new based on what you're wanting to do. Most of what you're looking to do basically is a dyanmic range and/or high ISO application, other than portrait or bike shots, where the A7S handidly delivers significantly better results. It's pixels are light buckets. It can use Canon glass (not that it matters, since you're looking at Rokinon 24mm F1.4, which is a very excellent wide field astro lens).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Bassat
6,280 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 16, 2017 08:55 |  #7

kyleriffs wrote in post #18403210 (external link)
It's not a problem as I won't be submerging it in to water but there's been times when I've set my camera up for a timelapse and it's started raining or going out early in the winter mornings in the fog. If worst comes to the worst I could set up a tarp over the camera.

I couldn't imagine going to a camera now without the pull out screen so that's kind of essential for me because it's come in handy so many times and I play guitar so if I'm recording a video and the camera is pointed at me then I need to be able to see the screen.

Bear in mind I'm not a professional with cameras and am still learning, I try to use manual focus whenever I can

If you use the video features of your camera, you really should investigate the latest version of Canon's DPAF. If you use it once, you won't buy a camera without it. The 80D, 6D2, and 5DIV have it; no others. The 80D and 6D2 have flippy screens. The 5DIV does not.

Tom

kyleriffs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 16, 2017 09:33 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #8

Thank you for the recommendation but I try to avoid Sony products if I can. I'm guessing the 6D2 is the Canon EOS 6D Mark II?

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Jul 16, 2017 09:48 |  #9

kyleriffs wrote in post #18403223 (external link)
Thank you for the recommendation but I try to avoid Sony products if I can. I'm guessing the 6D2 is the Canon EOS 6D Mark II?

Yes, it's a common shorthand convention.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

davesrose
Goldmember
2,773 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jul 16, 2017 10:38 |  #10

kyleriffs wrote in post #18403210 (external link)

All current Canon FF cameras don't have pull out LCD screens. It doesn't look like Canon will ever be including that feature in their higher end 1D/5D bodies (probably because if it's for pro video use, you'll have a separate LCD monitor). For your situations, it sounds like going with the 80D will be a worthwhile upgrade. The only FF that meets the criteria is the upcoming 6D2.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

kyleriffs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 16, 2017 11:18 |  #11

Looks like it's going to be the 6D Mark II for now, the only thing that's putting me off is the lack of a dual card slot

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 3 edits done in total.
Jul 16, 2017 11:22 |  #12

I think you are on the right track. Sounds like 6D2 from what I am reading. It's the only EOS Full frame with an articulated screen.

Personally, although I like dual slots (and use them!) I would not consider it a deal breaker, especially for any camera with built in Wifi (which only one of all the EOS bodies I have owned has had, ie: 5D4, including 7 with dual slots...)

IF one were to have a shoot where redundancy was absolutely required, remember the 6D2 has built in wifi, so the "second card" could be an off camera wifi device like your phone, tablet, etc..

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,005 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jul 16, 2017 11:23 |  #13

kyleriffs wrote in post #18403287 (external link)
Looks like it's going to be the 6D Mark II for now, the only thing that's putting me off is the lack of a dual card slot

There are a variety of reasons of 'needing' dual card slots...but digital cameras did NOT come with dual slots 10 years ago; what are your perceived reasons to need dual card slots?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jul 16, 2017 11:27 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #18403291 (external link)
.....but digital cameras did NOT come with dual slots 10 years ago; ...

Well, not many. :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bassat
6,280 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 16, 2017 11:41 |  #15

I've used a lot of different 35mm film cameras. Not one of them could handle more than one roll at a time. :)

Buy a bunch of small cards, a backup device, and backup often. When I need a field backup device (almost never), I use Creative Zen .mp3 players (32GB & 16GB). Both of them together are smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tom

sponsored links

9,797 views & 9 likes for this thread
Looking to upgrade to full frame camera and need suggestions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.