Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 16 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 20:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Why am I getting this in my PM??

VisualEchos
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
Missouri
Jul 16, 2017 20:19 |  #1

I was typing a PM to a friend and got this...

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Rig-Pro/i-gXxQk2J/0/066ed828/O/****%202.jpg

Any idea why?

And for the record, I wasn't arguing with him, I love the word F**K, and use it regularly. Of course, I would not do such in the open forum, but in PM sure. So why did I get this message in my PM?

~Andrew from Rig-Proexternal link Galleryexternal link

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jul 16, 2017 20:32 |  #2

You got that message because you used the word. Try expressing your PM with other terminology?

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,723 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jul 17, 2017 01:52 |  #3

can't you still send the pm anyways, it's just like a heads up for you...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

VisualEchos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
Missouri
Jul 17, 2017 06:29 |  #4

I still sent the PM, but I don't like the fact that my PM's are being scanned for words or that people might be alerted to them, it goes against the entire philosophy of a PRIVATE MESSAGE. It's not as if I'm making a bomb, it's just a right-to-privacy thing. I guess this board doesn't believe in that. No problem, that's the Admin's choice, I just won't be using the board anymore if that's shown to be the case.

So, Admin's, what other words are scanned for in my PM?

~Andrew from Rig-Proexternal link Galleryexternal link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 17, 2017 06:49 |  #5

VisualEchos wrote in post #18403872 (external link)
I still sent the PM, but I don't like the fact that my PM's are being scanned for words or that people might be alerted to them, it goes against the entire philosophy of a PRIVATE MESSAGE. It's not as if I'm making a bomb, it's just a right-to-privacy thing. I guess this board doesn't believe in that. No problem, that's the Admin's choice, I just won't be using the board anymore if that's shown to be the case.

I am pretty certain these points are fact:

- The notice you receive is merely software that is running automatically against the content of the text you are typing and alerting you, giving you an opportunity to reconsider your message.
- The admins can see anybody's PM if they so desire, as can any admin on any forum anywhere.
- Admins aren't looking at your PMs unless you give them cause to, or somebody else complains of PM abuse.

Any email you send out from any system, or any text you send out from a mobile device, is the same way, actually worse. Your presumed privacy rights are an illusion. If you want things to be private, you probably shouldn't use any internet tool at all. Anything submitted over the internet or cell network can be seen, and worse, is replicated across many servers.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jul 17, 2017 07:15 |  #6

VisualEchos wrote in post #18403872 (external link)

Words are scanned in post editor to notice members that rudeness is not allowed. The notices are for your eyes only, no one else can see the notices unless they reply to your message quoting your text. Notices are not stored.

There is no content scanning, only a very simple bad words brute search. I fail to see how your privacy is affected by those polite info boxes.

I am open to debate whether the bad words list should be applied to personal messages. I feel that bad word list is needed as there is a lot of angry people pm'ing and recipient might not be happy to get a page full of **** you's, the filtering of such words still conveys the message to most. And you can see the original text when replying.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,192 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Post has been edited 4 months ago by OhLook.
Jul 17, 2017 11:39 |  #7

Pekka wrote in post #18403891 (external link)
I am open to debate whether the bad words list should be applied to personal messages. I feel that bad word list is needed as there is a lot of angry people pm'ing

Debate? Count me in! :lol:

Are all the angry people angry at the person they're PMing? The preview notice will come up if a PM says "That F-ing idiot dropped my camera" or "I'm such a F-ing idiot! I dropped my camera." And if an angry PM says "You're a F-ing idiot," a notice reminding the sender to speak more politely may make him or her even angrier.

The notice doesn't sufficiently distinguish between bad words and hostility. Of course, the software can't make the distinction.

Please note that personal attacks are not tolerated in this forum. Moderators will act if your post contains profanities.

Posts that contain profanities (perhaps disguised to fool the software) without attacking anyone are tolerated.

I think treating posts and PMs differently is reasonable. Vulgarity in a post is visible to all who read it, and it would make the board a less pleasant place for many. Maybe PMs should have a different preview notice.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Pekka.
Jul 17, 2017 12:04 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #8

Easy solution, 5 minute coding job, would be that members get a FYEO setting to disable bad words notices in editor and bad word filtering in PM area. The filtering would be on by default.

Disabling bad word filtering by FYEO setting preferences in public posts would need some thinking, as posts may be cached. Filtering can not be done in browser side (javascript) as I would not want search engines to index any ****s and **** in our site content.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 17, 2017 12:17 |  #9

If it is just a warning, and you can send the PM anyways, then who cares? If somebody gets upset that the software in the forum lets them know there are possibly issues with their post, but they can just ignore and post anyways, then there are bigger issues that cannot be code for. ;)

If somebody is being abusive in PMs to me, I will simply report them accordingly. If they are just being colorful, and I see the filtered words, then I am gracious and don't care.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,172 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Jul 17, 2017 12:18 |  #10

I am for a reasonable criterion to be applied...if you worked in an office (not a blue collar job), would you use the word in a conversation with your boss and expect to get a neutral response to your statement?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Jul 17, 2017 12:23 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #11

Dangit. You edited your post.

I am I

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jul 17, 2017 12:23 |  #12

We have people in our office that do that, it is a bit annoying. I worked with an employee that reported to me, and we were making some headway on that front, then we re-org'd. He is now somebody else's issue. :)

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,689 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Jul 17, 2017 14:41 |  #13

Pekka wrote in post #18403891 (external link)
I am open to debate whether the bad words list should be applied to personal messages.

Pekka - Personally I think there are issues on the forum that need to be addressed before debating the usefulness of an automated bad word checker. Yesterday I reported a post in a For Sale thread that was inappropriate and clearly against the rules. Since then two other users have posted comments condemning the offending post but it still appears in the thread, possibly poisoning the sale for the seller. Like most members the OP is not a professional seller but a guy who loves photography and likely has a ton of other stuff to worry about without people dumping unnecessarily in his FS thread. If you want to protect the interests of your user community I suggest that getting your moderation house in order would be a better place to start than messing with code.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Pekka.
Jul 17, 2017 15:08 |  #14

nqjudo wrote in post #18404222 (external link)
Pekka - Personally I think there are issues on the forum that need to be addressed before debating the usefulness of an automated bad word checker. Yesterday I reported a post in a For Sale thread that was inappropriate and clearly against the rules. Since then two other users have posted comments condemning the offending post but it still appears in the thread, possibly poisoning the sale for the seller. Like most members the OP is not a professional seller but a guy who loves photography and likely has a ton of other stuff to worry about without people dumping unnecessarily in his FS thread. If you want to protect the interests of your user community I suggest that getting your moderation house in order would be a better place to start than messing with code.

Thanks for your comment.

In the marketplace thread you referred, the OP (did not report it but) replied to that price comment post with some further info about the item for sale, so those posts were not deleted. Please understand that we are not machines, we do decisions based on facts, experience and according to unique situations.

You said "issues". What are the other issues you are unhappy about? You can PM me if you do not like to share them in public.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jul 17, 2017 15:33 as a reply to Pekka's post |  #15

I have removed from AMASS version 2.0 the bad word filtering from both the the editor preview and the actual PM's. Public area stays as it is for now.

sponsored links

2,108 views & 34 likes for this thread
Why am I getting this in my PM??
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.