Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 16 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 20:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Why am I getting this in my PM??

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,699 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Jul 17, 2017 17:14 as a reply to post 18404241 |  #16

Pekka - I think most people familiar with the forum are acutely aware of how much work this was for you to put together and the effort it takes to maintain. We are all aware that you and your mod team are not robots. Nevertheless regarding the aforementioned post in the FS thread it obviously offended me to the point of reporting it and two other members to the point of protest. How many others it rubbed the wrong way would be pure speculation on both our parts. I don't see why that comment was allowed to stand despite the lack of protest from the OP. I don't think protest from the OP is the most accurate means of assessing how a thread or post affects the community at large. Can you say with any certainty that you know whether or not the OP is aware this is against the official rules? The marketplace is one area that should be maintained thorns-free. Anyone wondering into thread like that is only left with the appearance that the mods aren't watching and we are left to police ourselves. There are rules... enforce them. Especially when it comes to protecting the interests of an upstanding and productive member.

As for 'issues' I don't intend to dump on the forum. I've made friends here (I mean the kind you actually meet in person) but I've cast my vote by being less present recently. That said, I will offer one example. There was a recent banning here on the forum. The thread was left to go on way too long and I simply can't believe that the mod team didn't see than banning coming long before it happened because I surely did. Letting it go so long did nothing more than open the door to the culture of disrespect that we see on so many forums. Everyone watching that trainwreck (and similar ones from the past) have some reason to believe that not only is the mod team set on giving people enough rope to hang themselves with but that they're also extremely generous with the length. Is that what we really want here? Moderation is largely responsible for the flavour of the forum and what happens on forums left without vigilant moderation is no secret. POTN rules seem to be worded toward the creation and perpetuation of a positive and productive community. I'm not sure why people who act against the spirit of those rules are left unchecked for so long.

In conclusion, you might say that the heart of my discontent with this discussion lies in the fact you are here using your time and energy discussing an unnecessary piece of code that warns of expletives in PMs while the real expletives are out there dumping in good people's FS threads.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,740 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jul 17, 2017 19:22 as a reply to nqjudo's post |  #17

he said why the post was still allowed to stay...the person commented, and made a price comment...but also asked like 4 other questions pertaining to the lens for sale...the OP responded to those questions, so there is valuable information in there

personally i wish commenting on price would be allowed...some asking prices are so off on what the going rate is it's kinda ridiculous...especiall​y when it's ok to write "great price, good deal"

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,699 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Jul 17, 2017 20:42 |  #18

DreDaze wrote in post #18404403 (external link)
he said why the post was still allowed to stay...the person commented, and made a price comment...but also asked like 4 other questions pertaining to the lens for sale...the OP responded to those questions, so there is valuable information in there

personally i wish commenting on price would be allowed...some asking prices are so off on what the going rate is it's kinda ridiculous...especiall​y when it's ok to write "great price, good deal"

There is a way to make pricing comments. As per the rules it is via PM. You state that you wish pricing comments were allowed because people are asking ridiculous prices but there are several things to consider in that scenario. First, that would open the door for people to make comments that are equally ridiculous toward the other end of the scale. I recently had a lens for sale at a reasonable asking price of 600$. I received offers as low as 150$. As a seller I don't want to take those fights public. Second, you have absolutely no idea why an individual may be asking that much. As a Canadian I have asked and received more for certain items to the level that might look ridiculous to someone in the US but availability, shipping and customs fees, currency exchange and a host of other factors might make that deal attractive to another Canadian. It is possible that you may not be seeing the entire picture in those cases. People have a right to ask whatever for a product for their own reasons. The only people who should be policing sale threads for any reason are mods. Period. The best rule you can follow regarding FS threads is that if you don't like the price you don't have to buy and just move on. There isn't a product in and FS thread that you can't find somewhere else - especially if you find it overpriced. Why bother commenting?

Anyway, I think this thread is on the edge of running amok. Pekka started an exchange. I responded. Let's keep it at that.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

scokar
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
Calgary, Canada
Jul 17, 2017 20:59 |  #19

maybe this has been mentioned, but perhaps in a PM the sender can type whatever the want, but the recipient sees the "politer" message with a header saying "Expletives modified by an automated system".

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jul 17, 2017 21:03 |  #20

scokar wrote in post #18404469 (external link)
maybe this has been mentioned, but perhaps in a PM the sender can type whatever the want, but the recipient sees the "politer" message with a header saying "Expletives modified by an automated system".

There's a word for what you are suggesting: censorship. And it's always bad.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

VisualEchos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
Missouri
Jul 17, 2017 22:43 |  #21

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18404471 (external link)

Agreed.

~Andrew from Rig-Proexternal link Galleryexternal link

scokar
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
Calgary, Canada
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by scokar. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 18, 2017 00:19 as a reply to Levina de Ruijter's post |  #22

Not if there's a toggle to display the original message.

In terms of censorship we self censor all the time for a vague level of decorum, we expect that of others. This site will never have 100% "free speech" and by signing up we agree to the rules (v1.3 on sign up page) which allows for censorship

this thread may turn into a discussion touching on all aspects of society but there are simple workable options that most members will find acceptable as well as not violating any laws and regulations that this site must operate under

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 18, 2017 02:20 as a reply to scokar's post |  #23

Sure we have rules of conduct, but to have somebody's words in a (private!) pm overlayed with a politer version, in my opinion, is ridiculous. What are we, children who need to be protected from the big bad F-word? It's filtered out on the public forum and I understand the reasoning behind that, but in private messages? No, because it's a private conversation between two people and they shouldn't have to answer to anybody about what language they choose to use. Which is why I like Pekka's choice in removing the preview warnings for PM's. Although I'm also going to miss them because after all this time they still make me laugh. :lol:

Levina

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Jul 18, 2017 05:01 as a reply to Levina de Ruijter's post |  #24

Intimately familiar with those pop-ups, are we? :-D

I am I

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 18, 2017 05:21 as a reply to Strontium's post |  #25

LOL. Yes indeed. :lol:

Levina

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,739 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 18, 2017 11:08 |  #26

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18404471 (external link)

I wish more Americans thought like this.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,387 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Jul 18, 2017 11:23 |  #27

Well I for one would appreciate certain words to be filtered (not removed, but filtered). I often have my young kids sitting with me, and they see alot of what I am reading. I would rather they see F**K then the real word. I don't want my kids to be around people that speak it, I don't like them seeing it in PG and PG13 movies (where most (or all) of the time it lends zero value to the movie content), and I don't want them reading it.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

VisualEchos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
Missouri
Jul 18, 2017 12:02 |  #28

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18404936 (external link)
Well I for one would appreciate certain words to be filtered (not removed, but filtered). I often have my young kids sitting with me, and they see alot of what I am reading.

Sounds like a parenting issue.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18404936 (external link)
I don't want my kids to be around people that speak it, I don't like them seeing it in PG and PG13 movies (where most (or all) of the time it lends zero value to the movie content), and I don't want them reading it.

Bet you're the life of the party. But no, seriously, I understanding wanting to censor things for your kids (while you can), but a substitute word in your private messages isn't the way.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,387 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. 6 edits done in total.
Jul 18, 2017 12:12 |  #29

VisualEchos wrote in post #18404987 (external link)
Sounds like a parenting issue.

Bet you're the life of the party. But no, seriously, I understanding wanting to censor things for your kids (while you can), but a substitute word in your private messages isn't the way.

You opened this topic because you didn't like being warned and you thought somebody was watching you. That is a different issue than just letting the content be tweaked a bit before it reaches the recipient. I also don't like profanity, not just not having it around my kids. I know many only know how to talk using profanity. I feel it comes down to respecting others vs doing what pleases you with no regard to those around you...

Now if two people are carrying on a PM conversation and they both talk this way, then by all means, continue on! :)

All Pekka has to do is just remove the automated warning about key words in the PM function, and you would be fine, correct? I see zero issues with that. However I would still not like to see profanity in my PMs. Perhaps that is what can be expected via an FYEO setting from the recipient end.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

VisualEchos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
Missouri
Post has been edited 4 months ago by VisualEchos.
Jul 18, 2017 14:53 |  #30

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18404998 (external link)
All Pekka has to do is just remove the automated warning about key words in the PM function, and you would be fine, correct?

I don't care about the warning, it's what it represents. I don't want anything scanning my PM's. I've moderated several boards in the past, and PM's were always off-limits. Maybe things have changed.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18404998 (external link)
However I would still not like to see profanity in my PMs.

This is a good point. As mentioned earlier, no one wants to get a PM full of F**K you's, even if there is good reason. I suppose it'd be nice if someone had the choice, like if the recipient got an alert before reading the PM, something like 'you're about to receive a PM from XXX with whole lot of F-bomb's in it, read or delete?'

That's probably asking for too much.

sponsored links

2,243 views & 34 likes for this thread
Why am I getting this in my PM??
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.