Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 17 Jul 2017 (Monday) 12:57
Prev/next

First Shoot Tips

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Jul 17, 2017 12:57 |  #1

Hey all,
I have my first boudoir shoot this weekend. Model is a fellow photog who has modeled boudoir before. Since I'm male I'll have another female present. I know not to touch the model without permission and to have the assistant do so (hair, sheets, etc) as much as possible. Just wanted to open the floor up for other tips and suggestions.

Normally I really like to shoot telephoto (70-200mm f/2.8 II) because I find it to be the most flattering for people IMO, but most of the rooms are smaller and I'm thinking I'll have to switch to my 24-70, 50mm, etc. My camera (5dIII) is a full frame, btw. What focal lengths do you guys find yourselves usually shooting at? Some of the rooms only have +/-3' from the end of the bed to the wall :cry: The home is staged fairly well but its kind of bothering me all the background that will be included as a result of shooting at wider focal lengths as I also like telephoto for compressing the background and cutting out distracting elements.

Planning to shoot midday because I want to use a lot of window light. I bought some black construction paper to tape up over some smaller windows that seem to make sense from an architecture standpoint but I think I'm going to want blocked out to direct the ambient light how I want.

How long should a first session take? Since we live in the desert I am planning on her needing to use the restroom often as i've read its important to stay very hydrated so the skin 'glows.' I'm thinking two hours of actual shooting, maybe a bit more. It will be implied nude and lingerie and I plan to turn around or leave the room as much as possible when she's on the more exposed side so that will slow the shoot down some.

I've asked her a few times about what snacks and drinks (non alcohol) that I can bring and she mainly stated that she doesn't plan on eating so I'm thinking a small fruit tray, some granola bars, and some nice sparkling water just so the option is there and since we're probably skipping lunch.

Is music annoying/distracting? I was thinking of playing some in the background just to keep it fun.

What else??

Thanks!

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Moose408
Joined Jan 2006
San Jose, CA
Jul 17, 2017 13:21 |  #2

Wow, you have thought a lot about this.

Music is always better than none. Leaving the room when they are changing is appropriate.

24-70mm is fine, just shoot with a wider aperture to blur the distracting background.

Two hours is a reasonable amount of time, three is my standard. I typically spend the first half-hour doing throw-away shots. The model is typically tense and it takes a while for them to relax. Once they are relaxed is when I start taking my primary shots.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blogexternal link | 500pxexternal link | Model Mayhemexternal link

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Jul 17, 2017 17:22 |  #3

Moose408 wrote in post #18404171 (external link)
Wow, you have thought a lot about this.

I had six months to prepare for my first wedding and you shoulda seen me. Obsessive much? :-D

Music is always better than none. Leaving the room when they are changing is appropriate.

Yes thanks I did learn that one already as well. In fact one of the smaller rooms I think I'm just going to let be her private room for changing or if she just wants a break.

24-70mm is fine, just shoot with a wider aperture to blur the distracting background.

Well its the 24-70 F/4L IS -?. So while the background will be a little more noticeable, at least I can shoot at +/- 1/30sec to keep the ISO lower. I can go to the 50mm f/1.2 as well, but I'd hate to shoot any wider given the facial distortion that tends to happen.

Two hours is a reasonable amount of time, three is my standard. I typically spend the first half-hour doing throw-away shots. The model is typically tense and it takes a while for them to relax. Once they are relaxed is when I start taking my primary shots.

Sounds good. I'll start out easy to build our confidence and rapport.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jul 17, 2017 18:03 |  #4

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18404152 (external link)
What else??

Thanks!

110% professional at all times.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Jul 17, 2017 18:33 |  #5

Indeed. The other female present is a wedding coordinator, therefore double accountability!

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Jul 17, 2017 18:57 |  #6

Much of a typical budoir shoot is environmental. If you're content with the appointments of the room, don't be afraid to shoot wider than your normal practice. You'll probably use the 24-70 the most. I think two to three hours is ideal. Anything less is too brief while anything longer becomes fatiguing. It's good to be prepared with music. I like to have some simple refreshments on hand--at least bottled water. Take your time to observe the entire scene, always evaluating hair/makeup/perspirati​on/wardrobe management. It's easy to rush and miss small things. A second pair of eyes is welcome, but train yourself to be more observant.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 18, 2017 08:32 |  #7

110% professional at all times, don't hurry, evaluate the whole frame before snapping the shot (look past the model at the background, watch for bedsheets and costume bits out of place, etc).

I'd probably stick with the 50mm prime the whole time. If you need to re-frame, move your feet. If necessary, crop for composition in post.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Jul 18, 2017 14:17 |  #8

thanks. i DO change lenses too much. Its my bad habit and the genesis of much dust inside my camera. :oops:

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Jul 23, 2017 17:59 |  #9

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18405106 (external link)
thanks. i DO change lenses too much. Its my bad habit and the genesis of much dust inside my camera. :oops:

Get more cameras ;)

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 03, 2017 12:11 |  #10

The shoot has come and gone and it went awesome. Thank you all for your tips. We shot for about three hours and the snacks and music were a nice touch to keep things flowing. As well as having a few rooms to try out. There was indeed some requisite 'warm up' time, more clothed than less, and there were comparatively more junker images during that time frame. By the end I was 'in the zone' and didn't want to stop but models and assistants have lives and other things to do. I have about 60 images I rated as 4 stars in Lightroom and about 30 I rated 5 stars, covering about 15 compositions/scenes, depending upon what counts as a new pose/scene. I'm looking forward to posting a few for critique.

The model is also a photographer and is versed in Photoshop. I've never edited an image in Photoshop and don't feel like learning. I am comfortable using just Lightroom for 99% of my work and outsource to an editor (for money) when Photoshop is necessary. I have four images that could use some photoshopping (mainly a few swaps and some cleaning up that basic Lightroom cloning brushes can't handle) and the model has offered to help out here. I'm not normally comfortable handing over RAW files but it looks like if I export an uncompressed TIFF file with edits I have +/-125MB files. Model pledges to not make her own edits and post without my permission but I'm wondering if it would be best to just send the her the *.cr2 files or limited TIFF files. I feel like it would be a bit greedy to expect her not to keep the RAW files and if the roles were reversed, of course I'd want as many RAW files I could get my hands on, too! Comments?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 03, 2017 12:56 |  #11

It's a collaborative project, give her the raw files AND a tiff that has your Lightroom edits. Helpfully suggest that she use the tiffs, so that if she's only doing local edits, the final images maintain the same general toning and color grading that you've used on the rest of the set.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

1,023 views & 6 likes for this thread
First Shoot Tips
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.