Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 18 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 16:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 400D Upgrade To What..?

Fireblade2K7
Joined Mar 2007
West Midlands, England
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Fireblade2K7.
Jul 18, 2017 16:07 |  #1

Hi all,

I'd appreciate a little bit of advice if possible, I've looked for a thread which I can get some details from before posting however I think due to the age of my 400D there isn't going to be anything recent relevant to what I want to ask.

As the thread title suggests I need to upgrade my Canon 400D. It has been an excellent DLSR which I have owned from new when it was released in 2006 and still performs brilliantly now however as my photography has improved over the years I'm finding that it is now holding me back in certain areas and in certain scenarios where I need for example better ISO performance, a higher megapixel count for prints, a higher fps count, more AF points and just newer technology overall in terms of equipment.

I wouldn't say I have a particular set area of interest in photography, I enjoy a wide variety of different types, it just depends where I go and what is around, it's mostly landscape, astro, animals and wildlife, automotive and portraits.

A friend of mine has recently tried to persuade me to consider the Nikon D750 however I'm trying to keep the expenditure reasonable at the moment and with the Canon lenses I currently own (I know I don't have anything particularly special currently) I think I want to stay with Canon rather than swap everything to another brand.

The cameras I'm considering so far are as follows:

1) Canon 5D Mk3
2) Canon 6D Mk2 (Providing post release reviews are positive)
3) Canon 7D Mk2
4) Canon 6D

I'd like to make the move to full frame for better overall image quality especially when cropped which I do tend to do with pretty much all of my photos, but I'm also considering staying with a APS-C due to the x1.6 advantage I get on my lenses especially on my 70-300mm.

Is there anything I've overlooked with my camera selection in terms of what I am looking to do..? Are there any other Canon camera's which might be better suited to my needs at around the same budget or less than the one's I have listed above (approximately £2000 or less.)

Anything which you can throw at me in anyway would be greatly appreciated, I really do need an upgrade now, something worthwhile with a nice step in all areas and suited mostly to the type of photography I've mentioned above.

Many Thanks.

Canon EOS 400D + BG-E3 Battery Grip
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,940 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jul 18, 2017 16:13 |  #2

The 7D2 isn't too far behind the 5D3, really. There is an improvement with the 5D3 overall at all ISOs, but depending on what you are doing with your final images, it may not be that noticeable, especially if you are finding yourself cropping out of the frame quite a bit.

So first decision is whether you want to stay APS-C or not, IMO.

All 3 cameras you are considering are good. I am surprised you don't have the 6D on that list actually? I actually would suggest that over the other 3 if you really want to go to FF, and want to be budget-conscious. You should be able to pick up a lightly used 6D for as much, if not less, than a 7D2.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

davesrose
Goldmember
2,787 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jul 18, 2017 16:25 |  #3

Well if you go FF, you will just have the 50mm and telephoto zoom. You include landscape and astro in the mix: situations that *usually* side with wide angle. The 7D2 is best suited for wildlife/ fast telephoto photography. It's also good at high ISO for a crop, but I admit that I side more with the 5D3 for IQ. If you want to keep your current lens line up, have you also considered the 80D? It has better DR for landscape, good high ISO for a crop, and wider AF points then the upcoming 6D2 for action.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Fireblade2K7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
West Midlands, England
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Fireblade2K7.
Jul 18, 2017 16:29 |  #4

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18405182 (external link)
The 7D2 isn't too far behind the 5D3, really. There is an improvement with the 5D3 overall at all ISOs, but depending on what you are doing with your final images, it may not be that noticeable, especially if you are finding yourself cropping out of the frame quite a bit.

So first decision is whether you want to stay APS-C or not, IMO.

All 3 cameras you are considering are good. I am surprised you don't have the 6D on that list actually? I actually would suggest that over the other 3 if you really want to go to FF, and want to be budget-conscious. You should be able to pick up a lightly used 6D for as much, if not less, than a 7D2.

Thanks for your reply, it is appreciated. The 6D, I have considered it however the main reason why I left it off is due the 9-point focus system, that's pretty much the same as the 9-point focusing on my 400D. However having said that I do tend to pretty much all of the time use the center focus point on single shot focus and just recompose for the shot however I think it would be nice to have more AF points across the screen as I have lost so many photos due to out of focus issues before because of lacking focus points, I hope that makes sense.

And in terms of FF or APS-C I'm just totally at a loss on which way to go.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,940 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Jul 18, 2017 17:14 |  #5

Fireblade2K7 wrote in post #18405194 (external link)
Thanks for your reply, it is appreciated. The 6D, I have considered it however the main reason why I left it off is due the 9-point focus system, that's pretty much the same as the 9-point focusing on my 400D. However having said that I do tend to pretty much all of the time use the center focus point on single shot focus and just recompose for the shot however I think it would be nice to have more AF points across the screen as I have lost so many photos due to out of focus issues before because of lacking focus points, I hope that makes sense.

And in terms of FF or APS-C I'm just totally at a loss on which way to go.

The 11pt AF on the 6D is much better than the 400D 9pt AF. The 6D2 45pt AF spread covers the same area as the 11 on the 6D today, so you gain hardly any additional AF area. The 7D2 probably has the widest area of AF points, then the 5D3, then the 6D2, then the 6D, I believe, if you just look at the overall frame and the AF point overlay.

Fireblade2K7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
West Midlands, England
Jul 18, 2017 17:24 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #6

Ah ok, not sure where I got 9pt AF from for the 6D, thanks for pointing that out, I think I'll have to also consider the 6D then as well now, so that's added to the list.

I did notice that the AF points on the 6D Mk2 seemed to be very squashed together towards the middle of the screen which wasn't something I liked, I think I'd prefer a little more spacing and screen coverage.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

tdlavigne
295 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Jul 18, 2017 18:38 |  #7

It sounds like you really liked the 400D, and for that reason I'd suggest the 6D. If the 400D wasn't holding you back in any way, then even the least capable (at least in terms of speed and AF) of the bodies you mentioned...the 6D, would be a big step up in IQ from your current body. My next suggestion would be the 5DIII. If you go with the former, you could get a nice used lens along with it for approx the same price as the other bodies.

Drums
44 posts
Joined Jun 2016
Galway Ireland
Jul 19, 2017 10:56 |  #8

All the Cameras mentioned would be an upgrade in relation to the 400D, with the 5and 7d's there is a learning curve with the AF system, it isn't particularly hard but you do need to get used to it, for best results you cannot just leave the AF on "AUTO". The 6d would be more familiar to you without loss in IQ, and the 6d2 "should" be an upgrade in IQ to even the 5mk3.
As for ISO I found the jump to full frame a massive improvement, even if there was a bit of noise it was better looking noise!!! someone already mentioned that the 18-55 wont work on FF so you would also need a new lens, but there are many options like various 24-105's or older 28-135's as examples, they have varying IQ so you may want to test them before you buy to see what suits you.

As for the 7d, some consider the 80d to be better, some don't. my opinion is that Full frame is the better option even if it is the original 6d, but that is just my opinion.

Fireblade2K7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
West Midlands, England
Jul 19, 2017 11:18 |  #9

Excellent info so far guys, much appreciated. I think I really do want to go full frame so I am seriously considering the 5D Mk3, 6D Mk2 and also now (again I might add) the 6D.

I am aware that if I go for a full frame camera my EF-S lens won't be any good which isn't a problem as I'd like a better lens for wide angle landscape shots and astro stuff anyway, possibly something from Sigma's Art range or maybe a nice Canon L series lens.

I think whatever I do I'm going to wait for the 6D Mk2 to be released and for some good solid reviews to come available before making my decision, I think whatever I choose it's going to be a massive step up from my 11 year old 400D but it's come to that point now where the camera is starting to, and has been for a little while hold me back as my photography has improved and got better over the years.

Any more info anyone wants to throw my way relating to anything is welcomed by all means, but so far thanks.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,940 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jul 19, 2017 11:30 |  #10

Fireblade2K7 wrote in post #18405898 (external link)
Excellent info so far guys, much appreciated. I think I really do want to go full frame so I am seriously considering the 5D Mk3, 6D Mk2 and also now (again I might add) the 6D.

I am aware that if I go for a full frame camera my EF-S lens won't be any good which isn't a problem as I'd like a better lens for wide angle landscape shots and astro stuff anyway, possibly something from Sigma's Art range or maybe a nice Canon L series lens.

I think whatever I do I'm going to wait for the 6D Mk2 to be released and for some good solid reviews to come available before making my decision, I think whatever I choose it's going to be a massive step up from my 11 year old 400D but it's come to that point now where the camera is starting to, and has been for a little while hold me back as my photography has improved and got better over the years.

Any more info anyone wants to throw my way relating to anything is welcomed by all means, but so far thanks.

It is already released, and many are posting their findings. The IQ and DR seems to have stepped back a little bit from the 6D, but all other changes seem to be pleasing to the owners, much better AF, etc.

Fireblade2K7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
West Midlands, England
Jul 19, 2017 11:33 |  #11

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18405906 (external link)
It is already released, and many are posting their findings. The IQ and DR seems to have stepped back a little bit from the 6D, but all other changes seem to be pleasing to the owners, much better AF, etc.

Oh, I didn't think it was being released until 27th July...maybe that's just here in the UK.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,940 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jul 19, 2017 11:36 |  #12

Dpreview forums have handful of people with them now.

Fireblade2K7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
West Midlands, England
Jul 20, 2017 04:15 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18405912 (external link)
Dpreview forums have handful of people with them now.

I've started reading a few now actually, there seems to be quite a bit of negativity so far for the 6D Mk2 especially relating to no 4K video which isn't any interest to me at all, especially on YouTube...but there are quite a few positive reviews starting to appear as well so it could be a winner.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,940 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Jul 20, 2017 05:00 as a reply to Fireblade2K7's post |  #14

Perhaps read the official Dpreview article about dynamic range.... All those sample files that were yanked earlier are now verified.

https://www.dpreview.c​om ...-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range (external link)

Fireblade2K7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
West Midlands, England
Jul 20, 2017 05:56 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18406499 (external link)
Perhaps read the official Dpreview article about dynamic range.... All those sample files that were yanked earlier are now verified.

https://www.dpreview.c​om ...-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range (external link)

Yeah I've read that article, it's kind of swayed me away from the 6D Mk2 now towards the 5D Mk3.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

sponsored links

1,839 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon 400D Upgrade To What..?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.