Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 19 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 14:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

sunset/sunrise with no clouds??

hobinsohn
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Jul 19, 2017 14:34 |  #1

Hi all,

So heading up to Lake Tahoe for few days this weekend.

I was trying to plan some sunset and sunrise shoots, but to my disappointment we are not getting much, or any, clouds while we're up there.
That is what the forecast shows at least...

I was planning on attempting some milky way shots over the lake too, so having no clouds is a good thing for that at least.
(I said attempt, because i know there are going to be some lights so not sure how its going to go with that...)

However, with no clouds I'm afraid that I won't get much "drama" in the skies...

Now I'm thinking "hell with it, i'm gonna go out there and and compose to focus more on the rocks, water, and the colors rather than the sky then."

What do you guys/gals think? Should I just forget about sunset and sunrise photos and just drink heavily instead? =)

If you have some great sunrise/sunset shots without clouds, would you mind sharing?
I'm trying to get some ideas, but above "focusing more on rocks/water" is all I can think of...

Any advise would be very much appreciated too!

Thanks in advance folks!

Best,
Hobin

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Jul 19, 2017 16:11 |  #2

hobinsohn wrote in post #18406062 (external link)
Hi all,

So heading up to Lake Tahoe for few days this weekend.

I was trying to plan some sunset and sunrise shoots, but to my disappointment we are not getting much, or any, clouds while we're up there.
That is what the forecast shows at least...

I was planning on attempting some milky way shots over the lake too, so having no clouds is a good thing for that at least.
(I said attempt, because i know there are going to be some lights so not sure how its going to go with that...)

However, with no clouds I'm afraid that I won't get much "drama" in the skies...

Now I'm thinking "hell with it, i'm gonna go out there and and compose to focus more on the rocks, water, and the colors rather than the sky then."

What do you guys/gals think? Should I just forget about sunset and sunrise photos and just drink heavily instead? =)

If you have some great sunrise/sunset shots without clouds, would you mind sharing?
I'm trying to get some ideas, but above "focusing more on rocks/water" is all I can think of...

Any advise would be very much appreciated too!

Thanks in advance folks!

Best,
Hobin

Drink heavily and shoot lots of pictures of whatever strikes you. More fun that way.

......and forget the Milky Way crap......been done to death. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness.....that part of the world is full of incredible photo opportunities. You'd be hard pressed not to get some great pictures. Clouds or no clouds, pick the right time of day and you will get some spectacular results.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

hobinsohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Jul 19, 2017 16:29 |  #3

saea501 wrote in post #18406109 (external link)
Drink heavily and shoot lots of pictures of whatever strikes you.

planning on drinking heavily regardless... =)

You'd be hard pressed not to get some great pictures.

Hold my beer. lol

......and forget the Milky Way crap......been done to death. :rolleyes:

Well not like I'm a pro who's trying to get anything published, so it's more for me. I haven't done it a ton and I wanna see if I (old dog) can learn a new "trick".
Well, any photos I take is really for my amusement haha

And, yes, I will still go out and shoot regardless of clouds. If I don't try I won't get anything right?

THANKS!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 19, 2017 16:42 |  #4

hobinsohn wrote in post #18406123 (external link)
planning on drinking heavily regardless... =)

Well not like I'm a pro who's trying to get anything published, so it's more for me. I haven't done it a ton and I wanna see if I (old dog) can learn a new "trick".

Well first new trick is to schedule things better! You don't even have the benefit of a full moon as a fall back.

hobinsohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Jul 19, 2017 16:50 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #5

well this isn't a photo trip, just with the wife and friends for fun.
But, I'm trying to make some time to squeeze in photos.

And if I was planning on taking milky way shots, then it would actually be perfect as there is no moon, wouldn't it?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 19, 2017 17:11 |  #6

figure out where the sun is going to set or be an hour or so before sunset and find an interesting landscape that would look nice with long shadows.

or the same timing with objects that will be cool lit from one side

or look for smaller details, no need to only shoot wide with distant objects

or put a human subject into the shot

photo pills software for iOS is awesome.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 19, 2017 17:39 |  #7

hobinsohn wrote in post #18406135 (external link)
well this isn't a photo trip, just with the wife and friends for fun.

Consider a trip to Virginia City.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jul 19, 2017 19:23 |  #8

right now the whole area i think is dealing with tons of smoke...so not sure how that would affect your plans...friday night/saturday morning look to have ~25% cloud coverage according to weather underground if you're headed to south shore...so those would be your best bets...i'm not sure how the smoke will affect colors/clouds and everything, but i think it's pretty terrible there right now

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 3 months ago by John from PA.
Jul 19, 2017 20:15 |  #9

DreDaze wrote in post #18406241 (external link)
right now the whole area i think is dealing with tons of smoke...so not sure how that would affect your plans...friday night/saturday morning look to have ~25% cloud coverage according to weather underground if you're headed to south shore...so those would be your best bets...i'm not sure how the smoke will affect colors/clouds and everything, but i think it's pretty terrible there right now

The "weather.com" forecast over the weekend is showing mostly "easterly" winds (see below). If that holds true, the wind should carry the smoke away from the Tahoe area. Having said that, Accuweather shows almost the exact opposite. Go figure!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

hobinsohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Jul 19, 2017 21:27 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #10

thank you for the insight, much appreciated!

hobinsohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Jul 19, 2017 21:29 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #11

I guess only way for me to know for sure is to get out there and look around. Give me something to think about and look for.
I think part of the fun is looking around to find the composition and this at least give me little bit of motivation and something to look forward to.

Thanks a bunch folks!

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Post has been edited 3 months ago by DreDaze.
Jul 20, 2017 01:51 |  #12

Sunrise/sunset could also be a good time to hit up waterfalls...you'll have less people aroundat some of the more popular spots...i wanted to hit up glen-alpine falls last time i was up there, but my app predicted a nice sunset, so i went to sand harbor instead

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jul 20, 2017 04:38 |  #13

DreDaze wrote in post #18406241 (external link)

The smoke itself can provide some color to sunrises and sunsets. And might give some opportunity for "misty" looking scenics. Don't be discouraged. Get out and see what you have to work with.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 20, 2017 05:07 |  #14

DreDaze wrote in post #18406442 (external link)
Sunrise/sunset could also be a good time to hit up waterfalls...you'll have less people aroundat some of the more popular spots...i wanted to hit up glen-alpine falls last time i was up there, but my app predicted a nice sunset, so i went to sand harbor instead

Checking the waterfalls is a good suggestion. One that involves a relatively easy hike is Cascade Falls. Some details can be found at
http://www.tahoeadvent​uresports.com/hikeinde​x/west/cascade.htm (external link).

Little hiking is involved for Glen Alpine. Details are at https://www.sierraneva​dageotourism.org ...rail/sie01ACF184158​C04CBF (external link).

My employer is based in Minden NV, about 20 miles, so I would get up to the area when out there on business, especially when stranded over a weekend. There is a Chart House restaurant just slightly into Nevada that has some great views at sunset. But call for a reservation and request some window seating for the best of views. Sunset should be about 8:15 to 8:20 this time of year. Best views of course start an hour earlier.

hobinsohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Jul 20, 2017 10:33 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #15

yes thought about this, but we are staying northern part, Incline Village, and there aren't much of waterfalls around there.
At least from what I could find. Found some nice hiking trails, so I might try doing that too.
Seems like most of the waterfalls are located on southern parts.

Trying to keep myself motivated, and thank you guys for giving me the extra boost!

sponsored links

1,471 views & 26 likes for this thread
sunset/sunrise with no clouds??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.