Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 19 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 14:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

sunset/sunrise with no clouds??

hobinsohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Jul 20, 2017 10:34 as a reply to post 18406490 |  #16

Yeah with few of you guys mentioned smoke, I'm not sure I can picture what it will looks like, but I will have to check it out tomorrow when I get up there.

I do hope to get some misty early morning look so crossing my fingers!

sponsored links
hobinsohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Jul 20, 2017 10:36 as a reply to post 18406503 |  #17

oh, will check out Chart House. Thank you!!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 20, 2017 12:32 |  #18

hobinsohn wrote in post #18406719 (external link)
yes thought about this, but we are staying northern part, Incline Village, and there aren't much of waterfalls around there.

North part of the lake, head to Truckee. See http://www.martiscamp.​com ...a-photo-in-tahoe-truckee/ (external link)

hobinsohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Jul 20, 2017 14:17 |  #19

Just checked the weather again and seems like i might get some clouds on sun and monday night. i starting to feel some excitement again! =)

I guess it's still little early and forecast may change before i get there. Fingers crossed!!

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jul 20, 2017 18:34 |  #20

here's some webcams to check out what the smoke is looking like

https://tahoesouth.com​/lake-tahoe-web-cams/ (external link)

another option is to stop at the sunflower fields near davis/woodland for some photos...not sure what the deal is with them though, but i've been seeign tons of photos on instagram from people going there...could leave tahoe late to hit up a sunset there if it's any better conditions

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

hobinsohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Jul 20, 2017 21:34 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #21

Oh wow this is cool. Thank you for the info and the link doc!

Sibil
Goldmember
4,907 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Jul 20, 2017 21:52 |  #22

You can try some blue hour shots.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 3 months ago by John from PA.
Jul 21, 2017 10:37 |  #23

Winds are currently show to be dominantly from the east through the weekend so I would not expect smoke to be a factor. Partly cloudy on Sunday so maybe some early AM or late PM shots with clouds.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Jul 22, 2017 12:35 |  #24

Clear skies do pretty much suck, photographically speaking. Rocks and water are good alternatives. I'd suggest that maybe the few minutes right after sunset can at least give you a little bit of color in the sky and worth a shot.

Flickrexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jul 26, 2017 12:17 |  #25

DreDaze wrote in post #18406241 (external link)
right now the whole area i think is dealing with tons of smoke...so not sure how that would affect your plans...friday night/saturday morning look to have ~25% cloud coverage according to weather underground if you're headed to south shore...so those would be your best bets...i'm not sure how the smoke will affect colors/clouds and everything, but i think it's pretty terrible there right now

Smoke from wildfires is creates some wonderful and unique photo opportunities.

The smoke kind of takes the place of clouds, and will put a lot of vivid color into the skies. . It makes silhouettes particularly colorful, especially around sunrise and sunset. . I would say that you will be very fortunate if you have skies that are heavy with smoke.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jul 26, 2017 14:03 |  #26

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18411792 (external link)
Smoke from wildfires is creates some wonderful and unique photo opportunities.

The smoke kind of takes the place of clouds, and will put a lot of vivid color into the skies. . It makes silhouettes particularly colorful, especially around sunrise and sunset. . I would say that you will be very fortunate if you have skies that are heavy with smoke.

It can...don't think that was the case a week ago though...it was pretty terrible, air quality I think was the worst on whatever scale they use...any sunset photo was just the circle of the sun...anyways- smoke has cleared...I saw some decent sunset photos a few days ago on Facebook, so hopefully he got something

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

hobinsohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Jul 26, 2017 17:09 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #27

I didn't get much of sunset/sunrise, no clouds during the golden hour on either end... nothing i'm really proud of so don't really care to share...
I think I did get a decent milky way shot. For first time shooting milky way that is... at least i think so, though clearly i need to practice focusing and read up on how to avoid coma aberration... Thank you to all the folks here giving me some advise! I'm glad i took some time looking around the lake!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from hobinsohn's gallery.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Jul 29, 2017 04:24 |  #28

saea501 wrote in post #18406109 (external link)
......and forget the Milky Way crap......been done to death. :rolleyes:

Wedding photography has been done to death, bird photography has been done to death, street photography has been done to death etc etc etc

Just because you don't like a particular style/genre doesn't mean everyone else feels the same. I never understand these types of statements

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Sony 2.8/90

sponsored links

1,472 views & 26 likes for this thread
sunset/sunrise with no clouds??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.