Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 23 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 18:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

G12 screen black, won't take pics.

JMAST
104 posts
Joined Jun 2007
NILES. IL
Jul 23, 2017 18:43 |  #1

my G12 bit the dust today. screen went black and will not take photos. I get the menus to appear on the screen, but will not show the live screen. I tried to down load the photos off the the sd card, but they are also black/blank. Any ideas or should I just call it done. Thanks in advance.

7D w/Canon grip, G12, 30D w/Canon grip, Canon 70-200L 2.8 , Canon 100-400L, Canon 28-135 IS 3.5 ,Sigma 18-50 2.8,Tokina 11-16 2.8,Canon 50 1.8

http://j-mastalerz.smugmug.com/external link

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by John from PA. 5 edits done in total.
Jul 24, 2017 10:46 |  #2

I would first get the images off the card by using a card reader.

Then I have to ask what condition is the battery in? Is it several years old? Perhaps its time for a replacement? Can you borrow one from a friend for testing? It's a long shot but remove the battery and clean the terminals with a pencil eraser (even the ones inside the camera), then check the voltage if you have a meter. The attached image shows the + and - terminal location on the battery where you would check the voltage. Fully charged the battery should show about 7.3 to 7.5 volts. You might also plug the charger in and check the voltage across the corresponding terminal of the charger. Be careful to avoid shorting the voltage meter leads when checking the battery and charger. These things can throw quite a spark.

If you don't have a meter then recharge and retest.

You can get (2) Wasabi batteries and a new charger at https://www.bluenook.c​om ...d-charger-for-canon-nb-7l (external link) for about $22. But first try to rule out that it is a bad camera.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

JMAST
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Jun 2007
NILES. IL
Jul 24, 2017 16:01 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #3

Well I can tell you it's definitely not the battery as I have 5. I know the screen works because I get all the menu functions to appear on it. I shot several images using just the the view finder and downloaded them on to my computer... all are black just like on the screen. My guess its the sensor, not recording any images.

7D w/Canon grip, G12, 30D w/Canon grip, Canon 70-200L 2.8 , Canon 100-400L, Canon 28-135 IS 3.5 ,Sigma 18-50 2.8,Tokina 11-16 2.8,Canon 50 1.8

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 4 months ago by John from PA.
Jul 24, 2017 17:40 as a reply to JMAST's post |  #4

Now that you have clarified the symptoms, I would agree.

If you want to investigate a repair, I used United Camera on my G2 about 6 to 8 years ago. Nice work and reasonable compared to a Canon Service Center. They currently show $118 for "LCD Service". See http://www.unitedcamer​a.com/canon-powershot-g12/ (external link)

JMAST
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Jun 2007
NILES. IL
Jul 25, 2017 09:00 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #5

Thanks John for the info.

1,777 views & 0 likes for this thread
G12 screen black, won't take pics.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.