Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 24 Jul 2017 (Monday) 13:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's the straight scoop on the Metabones adapter?

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Jul 24, 2017 13:26 |  #1

I've been a Canon shooter for a while now. Moved from a T3i and 7D to what I currently shoot with, a 6D and a pair of 7D2s. I have paired these bodies with some really good L glass that I am in love with, so I am in no hurry to part with them. I have had no issues with the performance of either the 6D or the 7D2. I use the 6D for general use, family and trip photos, etc. and the 7D2 for birding. They both do their jobs admirably and I have no issues with them.

I've been on the fence about my next body. A 5D4 is a logical evolution, but I am also intrigued by Sony mirrorless offerings. I've been reading a lot on the Metabones adapters and I must say that I am getting mixed signals. Some reviews say that the focusing performance with EF glass is good, others say that it is a significant step down from the native Canon bodies. I have excellent focus performance from both the 6D and the 7D2 for their respective duties, so I am not gonig to be cool with a degradation.

So, what do you guys in Sony-land think about the current state of the Metabones adapters, especially the newest incarnations? Is it good enough for general purpose work? How about something fast like wildlife or birds?

Indulge me with this line of thinking! :) (i.e. no questions about why I am looking to upgrade when I am getting good results from the 6D and 7D2)! Thanks!

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,348 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Jul 24, 2017 22:10 |  #2

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18410027 (external link)
I've been a Canon shooter for a while now. Moved from a T3i and 7D to what I currently shoot with, a 6D and a pair of 7D2s. I have paired these bodies with some really good L glass that I am in love with, so I am in no hurry to part with them. I have had no issues with the performance of either the 6D or the 7D2. I use the 6D for general use, family and trip photos, etc. and the 7D2 for birding. They both do their jobs admirably and I have no issues with them.

I've been on the fence about my next body. A 5D4 is a logical evolution, but I am also intrigued by Sony mirrorless offerings. I've been reading a lot on the Metabones adapters and I must say that I am getting mixed signals. Some reviews say that the focusing performance with EF glass is good, others say that it is a significant step down from the native Canon bodies. I have excellent focus performance from both the 6D and the 7D2 for their respective duties, so I am not gonig to be cool with a degradation.

So, what do you guys in Sony-land think about the current state of the Metabones adapters, especially the newest incarnations? Is it good enough for general purpose work? How about something fast like wildlife or birds?

Indulge me with this line of thinking! :) (i.e. no questions about why I am looking to upgrade when I am getting good results from the 6D and 7D2)! Thanks!

General purpose, sure, easily IMO

Birds.... mostly not, except for the A9. Medicine man seems to run that combo.

you go to the system like sony with adapters to make due. With adapters, like my sigma 135 + metabones for instance, I simply use the combo to buy me time till a native solution exists. Native lenses are generally a lot more expensive, but they do work a lot better. Eye focus is hard to give up, it's a really darn nice feature. The latest metabones will give you eye focus with most if not all canon lenses**** but tracking on the eye will be a bit slower with canon mount lenses.

you can get an idea here:

AF in the lowest of light levels, the 6D will be better, but the metabones can still shoot low light okayish. On the flip side, the focus area of any canon will pale in comparison with the A7rii even the older A7ii will have a generally better spread as it clearly covers all four corners of the rule of thirds.

I generally like the AF of either A7ii/A7rii a lot better than the 6D, dont know about the 7Dii.

basically if you truly want a match, then the A9 may do it for your, otherwise, the A7ii/A7rii can be better in some ways, and worse in others. General photography, it's easily up to task IMO, it just takes time to learn.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

588 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's the straight scoop on the Metabones adapter?
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.