Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 24 Jul 2017 (Monday) 13:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Engagement photo - Critique Reqested

slikscott
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jul 24, 2017 13:26 |  #1

Good afternoon, below is a shot taken from my 1st engagement shoot. Looking for constructive feedback.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Scott O. Amateur Photography

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Jul 24, 2017 14:02 |  #2

Overall it is good :) I would have added a bit more light to their faces. I would darken down the grass right behind them.

He almost has RED ear. I hate it when that happens *LOL* His left shoe bothers me but I guess I am quirky about detached body parts.

Work on the editing a bit :)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by ksbal. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 24, 2017 14:31 |  #3

Composition is fine, positions are ok, not stellar, but not bad.
Good you got to their eye level.

it is clear that a higher number F stop, (like f8 or more) was used as Everything is in focus... The trees and grass behind them are very clear. They compete for what should be the focus of the image, the couple. Ideally, using a lower number/larger diameter f stop would throw the background out of focus, and keep your attention on the couple.

I think a fill flash was used, but with the higher fstop in play, it still didn't expose the couple properly. They are underexposed and so the grass behind is over powering them a touch.

a speedlight in an umbrella positioned camera right would have helped to add some light correctly on their faces, and bring the exposure up, or a reflector may have worked as well.

Here is an example post showing the difference in using a more telephoto style, along with a larger(like f2.8-5.6) f stop will blur the background. a 50mm may have been used here, but it needed to be at f1.8 - 2.8 to help throw the background out of focus- and good technique to make sure the faces were in focus.

http://photography-on-the.net ...07&mg=265650&i=i149​576102

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

erikfig
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Joined May 2012
Orlando, FL
Jul 24, 2017 15:53 |  #4

Good Composition.

Background is too bright and too busy. This can be a keeper with some post. I would've use a softbox or similar to light their faces.

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
North Carolina
Post has been edited 4 months ago by jcolman.
Jul 24, 2017 16:37 |  #5

I'm going to disagree about the "good composition" comments. To be frank, I think the compostion is not very good at all. When shooting couples, a good rule of thumb is to try to place them so that their bodies form a "triangle" shape, bringing them together. However, if you do want to shoot them sitting, don't have the man leaning against a tree.

Example

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/UYFVUfP.jpg

When choosing to shoot in a park or other outdoor setting, look carefully at your background and pick the best spot.

Example:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/9186cbZ.jpg

Depth of field can be sharp depending on your intent.

example:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/o0Dqp5k.jpg

Or use a shallow DOF for a more romantic image

example:
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/tesVUkT.jpg

Hope these help

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.comexternal link

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Jul 24, 2017 16:44 |  #6

image editing ok?

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Jul 24, 2017 16:55 |  #7

The is an odd color forming a straight line by her knuckles. Not sure what that is and looks like she has a watch shadow for her tan.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Daniel24
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Ashburn
Jul 24, 2017 19:55 |  #8

The last thing that many couples want to do after making a big investment in an engagement ring is to spend another small fortune on engagement pictures.

HOSTED PHOTO

Elliephoto.com (external link)

slikscott
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jul 24, 2017 22:00 as a reply to Jethr0's post |  #9

Sure

Scott O. Amateur Photography

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jul 25, 2017 00:02 |  #10

I'd crop out the swath of white sky.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

FFFCFF
Joined Dec 2016
Warsaw/Poland
Jul 25, 2017 03:28 |  #11

Do not have time now. 2 minutes LR job can fix it a little.

HOSTED PHOTO

Still learning English. Sorry for language bugs.

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,583 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Tampa, Florida
Oct 26, 2017 21:54 |  #12

I always shoot as wide open as I can to make the photos look as 3D as possible with a nice creamy background. Keep the focus on the eyes and the rest is easy!

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Oct 26, 2017 23:25 |  #13

Looks like you got a great expression on both their faces and that's great. ;-)a

To the pose: i'd tilt their heads together.

Overall thing I would have changed is adding more light. I've become fond of saying lately: 'quantity of light is more important than quality of light.' Sure I love my softboxes, diffusion panels, and all that good stuff, but run with what you brung if all you can do is throw a strobe on them and kill off some more ambient light. The contrast between highlight and shadow in the background keeps pulling my attention away from the couple.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Oct 29, 2017 06:20 |  #14

Daniel24 wrote in post #18410340 (external link)
The last thing that many couples want to do after making a big investment in an engagement ring is to spend another small fortune on engagement pictures.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Daniel24 in
./showthread.php?p=184​10340&i=i81841945
forum: Weddings & Other Family Events

This one's pretty hot.....exposure got away from you a bit.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Nov 01, 2017 12:49 |  #15

I'd do one or both of two things: 1). Up exposure by a step and then lower highlghts to bring the brightness back down. This will lighten the faces. Or 2). Use an adjustment brush set to dodge (lighten) to lift the shadows on the face. Did you lift shadows in this edit? You might get away with doing that then reducing highlights if needed.

Great shot, and a timeless expression on their faces.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links

1,602 views & 2 likes for this thread
Engagement photo - Critique Reqested
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.