Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 24 Jul 2017 (Monday) 19:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Color calibrating display advice

stanwelks
152 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 24, 2017 19:15 |  #1

I just got an X-rite i1 calibration device that I want to use on both my iMac and MacBook Pro. I used advanced mode to calibrate my MacBook Pro near a window to simulate lighting conditions I often work with, and afterwards the colors did not seem improved, on some comparisons I see no difference, though the brightness is much dimmer overall. When running a before and after test using the built in photos it is very noticeable. I have the ambient light option turned off because I can not keep the device connected all of the time.

1. How do you calibrate a laptop when you might be using it with different lighting conditions, varying from very low light to household lighting? The settings it is now configured at will likely make it not display nicely in very low light, etc.

2. Is there a way to know if I ran the calibration properly?

Thanks.

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 07, 2017 11:19 |  #2

stanwelks wrote in post #18410312 (external link)
I just got an X-rite i1 calibration device that I want to use on both my iMac and MacBook Pro. I used advanced mode to calibrate my MacBook Pro near a window to simulate lighting conditions I often work with, and afterwards the colors did not seem improved, on some comparisons I see no difference, though the brightness is much dimmer overall. When running a before and after test using the built in photos it is very noticeable. I have the ambient light option turned off because I can not keep the device connected all of the time.

1. How do you calibrate a laptop when you might be using it with different lighting conditions, varying from very low light to household lighting? The settings it is now configured at will likely make it not display nicely in very low light, etc.

2. Is there a way to know if I ran the calibration properly?

Thanks.

Mac - can't help you. Get a PC...

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Melbourne Australia
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by clipper_from_oz. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 16, 2017 13:11 |  #3

this article may help you figure out whats gone wrong. I found it helpful when I was also having laptop issues regarding color calibration
http://www.color-management-guide.com ...-display-macbook-pro.html (external link)

BTW....I tried and tried to get a decent screen color calibration on my Macbook Pro ( late 2015 model) and it never lined up with my large Eizo Color Panel after I have calibrated both with my Datacolor spyder. Nowdays I just use the laptop for general lightroom corrections to image but never ever print from the laptop. When I print I use the Eizo Monitor plugged into my laptop with the raw image in Proof mode in Lightroom and check it for correct WB etc etc and if color changes need doing before printing I do it then whilst using the Eizo as I know that is correct. . Its the only way to get close to the right color IMO. And the only way I get my Eizo correctly calibrated is by adjusting more than just the brightness setting ( Contrast, luminance etc ) As this is all a Macbook pro laptop has to adjust( brightness) it makes it difficult to get it right .

Another major problem with a laptop is you only have to have the screen on a slightly different angle and it will totally change the brighness which inturn will affect how you see the image colors, contrast etc . I even went to the trouble of marking the angle of screen when I calibrated the laptop and it was still out so in the end I gave up and reigned myself to using the eizo when it got color critical and everything else done on laptop which just uses Apples basic calibration set at 5500K and brightness at around 80-90% in good ambient light and at night if room is not that bright apprx 60=70%
rgds

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
Fujinon XF 18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2macro & XF 18-55f2.8-4.5
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Aug 23, 2017 05:29 |  #4

Strange, i have 2 Macbook Pro old models [early 2008 and late 2009] and i calibrated both with my Spyder calibrator [I think Spyder 3Elite, not Spyder 4 which i also have], and the results are just as great as to my Apple Cinema Display 30" and my old Eizo 22", not sure if i am lucky or maybe i just have a delusional view.

At the end, i sometimes run the calibration process more than once to get the proper one, i don't expect i will always get perfect match from one run only, sometimes the settings aren't proper so then i do it again and change something to see, i can't say this is the right thing to do, but i am always free to do calibration more than once if it may help, i can easily reset to factory and start over again, but s far, all my monitors are just fine, and the prints were nice [long time ago, now i didn't print since 3-4 years ago].

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

849 views & 0 likes for this thread
Color calibrating display advice
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.