Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 26 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 03:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 or Gitzo GT3533LS

joelspencer
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Jul 26, 2017 03:00 |  #1

Hi all,

Now I do a lot of different styles of photography - landscapes, wildlife, motorsport, airshow, a bit of macro, a bit of astro, some portraiture. So really quite a lot of different styles.

I need a new sturdy tripod and want it to support a gimbal head I'm yet to buy and my Sigma 150-600 lens for wildlife etc. as well as all my other lenses. I just want the one tripod.

I'm a keen enthusiast amateur photography who'd love to make a living from photography but I don't. So I'm wondering which makes sense financially, as I don't profit from my photos.

The MT055CXPRO3 I can get for £329 and there's a deal on with a local camera store which includes the 3way pro head for free.

Or the Gitzo GT3533LS Tripod for £550 brand new.

Which one would you go for? Would the 055 be fine with a gimbal as I haven't seen any photos or videos of one with a gimbal on ?

Or is it better to invest in Gitzo?

Lenty007
Joined May 2006
Ghent, Belgium
Jul 26, 2017 10:53 |  #2

Hello,

Can't speak for the Gitzo (which seems to be a mighty good tripod) but I do have the 055 with a JOBU-DESIGN DMG MK IV GIMBAL HEAD.
In use for sports, air shows to support the heavy beasts like 400mm F/2.8 and 800mm F/5.6
It works for me but I'm sure the Gitzo will do the job as well.
Seems to me like it's a matter of how mutch you want to spend on it.
Good luck!

Greetings from Belgium

Alain

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,734 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Jul 28, 2017 18:47 |  #3

I used to have the original Manfrotto 055 XB Pro - it was good - but compared to a Gitzo, err no!

When I had my 055 I bought my first big white lens (EF 400 F2.8 L) and it was a case of here comes Mr Wobbly! Yes the 055 did the job - but only just! I quickly moved to a Gitzo GT3530LS and then a 600 F4 L IS = nirvana! The 3530 LS is not recommended for lenses like this but it is more than up to the job. A few years later I moved to the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS and the 3530LS was still very very good.

The GT3533LS is simply a cracking tripod and that is a very good price. If you can stretch to the price then just buy it! You will not be replacing it.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Lenty007
Joined May 2006
Ghent, Belgium
Jul 31, 2017 03:52 |  #4

I'll go with johnf3f, no prob.
Guess I was pursuaded by the eisa award 2014-2015

Good luck!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

650 views & 1 like for this thread
Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 or Gitzo GT3533LS
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.