Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 26 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 13:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

So how are the new USA airport regulations

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,110 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Jul 26, 2017 13:23 |  #1

going to effect us? Anything larger than a cell phone has to be removed from a bag. I guess body and lens separated with caps from now on. I don't think the lens is a device is it? It does have electronics. I would prefer not to pull all my gear out.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Jul 26, 2017 13:36 |  #2

I haven't had any problems. Just flew from Portland to JFK to Milan and back. No issues. I can't speak to flights in/out of the Middle East though.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,169 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Wilt.
Jul 26, 2017 15:01 |  #3

The 'new USA airport regulations' are being progressively rolled out and not being implemented all at once. TSA is being sly on releasing ANY details (no point in giving terrorists a heads up about how they might circumvent procecedures, as our TV new reports often do!)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Jul 26, 2017 15:03 |  #4

I haven't seen any evidence of any changes. I carried 2 bodies 5 lenses, etc., all in my Lowepro backpack. Sent them through the security scanner and the TSA guys didn't bat an eyelid. If there are now rules, I haven't seen them. Again, this is for domestic and US/Europe flights.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,869 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by davesrose. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 26, 2017 18:10 |  #5

I've always found it also depends on the airport. I used to have to do a lot of flying for work, and got used to the routine of taking off shoes/ stowing keys and watch in bag/ taking out laptop. At one time at Reagan airport, I had a TSA agent stop me after my computer bag went through the X-Ray. He hadn't seen a graphics tablet before, and he was being pretty nasty about why I hadn't taken the graphics tablet out with my laptop. This was one time in dozens and dozens of flights between Reagan and Atlanta. Other TSA agents are nice and if they're not sure what a lens is, they'll just kindly ask to look inside your bag.

It will be the discretion of the local TSA. Here in Atlanta, I wouldn't take out lenses: it's the world's busiest airport so they try to be efficient. In the past, when I've brought DSLR equipment, I've actually had discussions with TSA agents who've seen my lenses on the x-rays and say they'd like to get into photography.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

TustinMike
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Jul 26, 2017 18:27 |  #6

Absolutely as above, rules seem to vary from one domestic airport to the next. One time I (and others) started to take our shoes off and we were pretty much yelled at by one of the TSA agents for doing so, as if she'd never seen such strange behavior....

All New Year, All New Sig !

Wilt
39,169 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 26, 2017 18:36 |  #7

TustinMike wrote in post #18412058 (external link)
Absolutely as above, rules seem to vary from one domestic airport to the next. One time I (and others) started to take our shoes off and we were pretty much yelled at by one of the TSA agents for doing so, as if she'd never seen such strange behavior....

It could have been worse, as you removed your belt, and then dropped your trousers expecting a cavity search!

:lol:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Naturalist.
Jul 26, 2017 20:21 |  #8

I stopped flying about 12 years ago for the simple fact that I am not going to be molested and treated like a criminal by another fed.gov agency.

Daughter in Florida was surprised I drove 25 hours to see her and the new grandchild. By driving I can take what I want and bring back what I want without having to wonder if my seat is going to get bumped and I dragged off the plane.

Screw 'em!

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

RMyers
Joined Dec 2009
Austin, TX
Jul 26, 2017 21:45 |  #9

I just travelled with a camera and laptop last week. No issues, in fact got flagged for TSA pre-check on the return so didn't have to take off shoes or pull anything out.

However, I think the question is about new regulations rolling out now. Here's an article: https://petapixel.com ...ing-cameras-airports-now/ (external link)

Rusty
Austin, TX

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by bumpintheroad.
Jul 27, 2017 00:37 |  #10

I'm TSA PreCheck approved. Actually, my work did it for me for free. Shorter security screening lines and no need to undress or unpack. I'd do it even if I had to pay for it myself. But not sure how it will play out with the new rules -- haven't run into them yet.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

Wilt
39,169 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Wilt.
Jul 27, 2017 00:54 |  #11

Just announced, new security rules going into effect at at all US airports 'during the weeks and months ahead':

https://www.tsa.gov ...omestic-security-measures (external link)

• Must take out 'all electronics larger than cellphone', and put them into a bin with nothing on top or below, and this includes personal electronic items such as laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles for screening
  • There are no changes to what travelers can bring through the checkpoint
  • The changes will not apply to those going thru TSA √ lines.

The above has already been in effect at ten trial sites around the country.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,719 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jul 27, 2017 01:09 |  #12

Naturalist wrote in post #18412126 (external link)
I stopped flying about 12 years ago for the simple fact that I am not going to be molested and treated like a criminal by another fed.gov agency.

Daughter in Florida was surprised I drove 25 hours to see her and the new grandchild. By driving I can take want I want and bring back what I want without having to wonder if my seat is going to get bumped and I dragged off the plane.

Screw 'em!

meh....i just traveled on the 4th of july weekend...brought what i want, didn't worry about getting bumped, or dragged off a plane...i didn't have any issues at all...although not sure what these new regulations are...but i think you've been wasting time the last 12 years...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,110 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jul 27, 2017 08:14 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #18412272 (external link)
Just announced, new security rules going into effect at at all US airports 'during the weeks and months ahead':

https://www.tsa.gov ...omestic-security-measures (external link)

• Must take out 'all electronics larger than cellphone', and put them into a bin with nothing on top or below, and this includes personal electronic items such as laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles for screening
  • There are no changes to what travelers can bring through the checkpoint
  • The changes will not apply to those going thru TSA √ lines.

The above has already been in effect at ten trial sites around the country.

Does not say cameras.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,110 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jul 27, 2017 12:12 |  #14

https://petapixel.com ...ing-cameras-airports-now/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Wilt
39,169 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 23 days ago by Wilt. 6 edits done in total.
Jul 27, 2017 12:53 |  #15

The Petapixel writer is INFERRING what has not been explicity stated on a TSA website! Using the Search function on the current TSA web site, to look for 'camera' or 'digital camera'...

http://apps.tsa.dhs.go​v ...esults.aspx?search=​camera (external link)

"Please carefully pack your electronics items, making sure all cords are wrapped and any DVDs, CDs, or cassettes are removed from their devices. While you can pack expensive, fragile electronics items in checked or carry-on bags, we recommend packing them in your carry-on.

"Laptop computers, full-size video game consoles, CPAP machines, full-size DVD players, and video cameras that use video cassettes must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Small and portable electronic items (smart phones, tablets, portable games, etc.) do not need to be removed from their carrying cases or carry on bags."

TSA also has an article about cameras but this was published in August 2016, before the recent changes http://www.tsatravelti​ps.us/traveling-camera-equipment/ (external link)

sponsored links

4,789 views & 9 likes for this thread
So how are the new USA airport regulations
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.