Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 26 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 13:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

So how are the new USA airport regulations

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 29, 2017 09:24 |  #46

My only real issue these days are my knee replacements. What a pain that is. If I see a body scanner I ask for it. It is faster.

Flying back home in Canada last Wednesday they asked me to take out my 7D2 with 100-400 II out of the bag and she asked of she could weigh it. I said sure and she just held it for a few seconds. That was a first. Once in a while they swab a bag for explosive compounds.

I only had one major issue about 10 years ago. I was travelling in Canada with a Think Tank Airport roller. The airlines have overhead bin weight restrictions. The guy working at check in recognized it was a camera bag and asked me to put in on the scale. It was overweight so I have to remove lenses in until it was under. I was putting them in my pockets and plastic bags.

After that I put them back in the bag. I get on the plane and the guy was a flight attendant as well. Couldn't get a break that day. That airline has since lifted those restrictions and the last time I chatted with them they said as long as you can get it up there by yourself. Don't bring gold lol. That is what she told me. I have not tested it yet.

I have flown a few American airlines that partner with Canadian ones when transferring and never had any issues.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Oct 30, 2017 05:12 |  #47

In Europe, Easyjet (I mostly fly with them due to good connections between where I live and where I have to fly) and a few others restrict based on the size of the bag rather than weight - and as long as you can lift it yourself then you're good. I think they realised that with a standard size bag, unless you are planning on transporting stones or precious metals (or a butt-tun of books) ... and even then ... there's pretty much a limit to how much you can cram in there, and most people prefer to use their cases for clothes and other relatively lightweight items.

Recently they have been asking for all electronic items to be removed and separated at European airports though. I try and do what is asked to avoid any further hassle ... I find security an irksome experience but if I try and get it right first time and not have to repeat any of it. The soon I can move on then all the better. I haven't been asked to remove lenses from the camera bag as yet, but I asked once about cameras and was told to separate those so I did. My lenses are all pretty compact and so don't attract attention but maybe a larger telephoto would, who knows?

I normally arrive with plenty of time, take myself over to one side and sort my stuff out carefully before and after. I have to do it either way, and I don't mind losing a few places in the queue to do it in a way which bothers me personally as little as possible. I'm also not one for arguing with (generally low-wage) service employees who can't dictate their duties.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,150 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 30, 2017 11:19 |  #48

copmagnet82 wrote in post #18483563 (external link)
Just got back from Europe and surprisingly the TSA people at Chicago O'Hare were very nice to me and didn't even have me open the bag.

That was not TSA, incoming at the border...you went thru Immigration, and then thru Customs, but not 'Security'.
TSA is OUTBOUND, not incoming.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
39,150 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 20 days ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 30, 2017 11:30 |  #49

Wilt wrote in post #18412272 (external link)
Just announced, new security rules going into effect at at all US airports 'during the weeks and months ahead':

https://www.tsa.gov ...omestic-security-measures (external link)

• Must take out 'all electronics larger than cellphone', and put them into a bin with nothing on top or below, and this includes personal electronic items such as laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles for screening
  • There are no changes to what travelers can bring through the checkpoint
  • The changes will not apply to those going thru TSA √ lines.

The above has already been in effect at ten trial sites around the country.

Well, either these procedures are being veeeerry slooooowly phased in, or they are ignoring them. I just flew domestic roundtrips in September and in October, and for none of the departures was there any need to remove electronics. And (not sure why) for 5 out of 6 departures my TSA-Precheck status was printed on my boarding pass, but it was NOT printed on my boarding pass for one of the flights, yet the Security process was IDENTICAL all six times.

[edit]Well, just two days ago they reported," for three airports around Washington DC, expect to take more items out of your bag during the screening process.
New enhanced screening measures, announced over the summer, are now being phased into security lines by the Transportation Security Administration."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,718 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Oct 30, 2017 14:20 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #50

Or it was people jumping to conclusions...nowhere did it state cameras would need to go separately

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Wilt
39,150 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 30, 2017 19:23 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #51

DreDaze wrote:
Or it was people jumping to conclusions...nowhere did it state cameras would need to go separately

Yes, several of us in this thread have pointed out the 'pull our your cameras' was merely the Petapixel writer (wrongly) INFERRING what had not been explicity stated on a TSA website!

copmagnet82
Joined Nov 2016
Oct 30, 2017 21:43 |  #52

Wilt wrote in post #18484660 (external link)
That was not TSA, incoming at the border...you went thru Immigration, and then thru Customs, but not 'Security'.
TSA is OUTBOUND, not incoming.

I should've been more precise; TSA at O'Hare was surprisingly nice to me when I was traveling to Europe. ;-)a

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, EOS 50D | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Canon Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT

nordlysBW
326 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Nov 01, 2017 13:03 |  #53

What we have to live with is that all these procedures are evolutive and get adapted because security threats vary in both time and nature. The talk is now again on adding or strenghtening screening procedures for both luggage and passengers. In a few weeks time that might be gone again or get implemented. For us as passengers, this means there is not much point getting worried about this or that possible modification months ahead. I've decided to take it as it comes and check with the airline just shortly before flying.

sponsored links

4,606 views & 9 likes for this thread
So how are the new USA airport regulations
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.