Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 26 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 17:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

6D Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss and post Photos!

Dlee13
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Jul 26, 2017 17:02 |  #1

The day is here and our 6D2's are finally arriving!

I have mine already but sadly have a 10 hour shift I have to go to soon so won't be able to post any photos until tonight at least!

I also no longer have a cat, so these test shots won't be official ones....

Canon 6D Mark II ~ Canon M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS ~ Canon EF 17-40mm f4L ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~ Sigma 85mm f1.4
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links
MadMadge
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 26, 2017 17:21 |  #2

I have one ordered. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's photos and contributing once I get mine.

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Jul 26, 2017 17:36 |  #3

MadMadge wrote in post #18412009 (external link)
I have one ordered. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's photos and contributing once I get mine.

Did you get a good price? I managed to get mine for $2348 AUD with a free battery so I'm pretty happy!

Canon 6D Mark II ~ Canon M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS ~ Canon EF 17-40mm f4L ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~ Sigma 85mm f1.4

davesrose
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jul 26, 2017 17:43 |  #4

Can't think of a better member to have received his 6D2 and started this thread! Enjoy and look forward to seeing your photos/impressions.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

MadMadge
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 26, 2017 17:53 as a reply to Dlee13's post |  #5

I paid full retail. This is the first time I've pre-ordered a camera. Normally I bought used or waited, so I guess I was due!

ma11rats
Joined Feb 2013
Az
Jul 26, 2017 18:12 |  #6

Bummer about not having a cat. Was expecting an image or two of those by now.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
5D, 6D, 7D2, 35f2IS, 135L, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, Tok 12-28f4

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Jul 26, 2017 18:40 |  #7

So in my brief time so far playing with the camera, here's what I found:

Build - being that it's almost identical to the 6D it has a real good solid feel. After 3 weeks of only using my M5, it honestly feel good to once again experience that big solid feel of a DSLR The articulatung screen is really nice. At first I was a bit disappointed when I read it was only 1.04 million dots unlike my M5 but they have definitely improved the quality of it and I can see the difference compared to my old 6D.

Autofocus - The difference is truly day and night with the outter points. I always found them to be too unreliable on my 6D but that definitely isn't the case with the Mark II. I actually find myself overwhelmed with so many AF points to choose from. I'm personally used to just choosing a single point I feel like that's a waste with all those beautiful AF points to choose from. I find the AF to be very fast and accurate too, even with the horrible lighting inside my house.

Shutter - This is obviously something most people wouldn't mention but the second I took the first shot I could hear the difference. It may be a bit louder than the 6D but I like the sound to it, you can really tell it's made for the higher FPS.

IQ - Now I haven't had any time to shoot anything proper (you can thank my 10 hour shift today) but I was quite impressed with what I seen. I didn't bother trying to underexpose then pull up in post since I was working with limited light in my apartment and if that was a real world scenario, I would make sure to nail the exposure (in daylight would be a much better situation to try this). I was mostly using the body at ISO 1000 and up and I was impressed with how it handed the noise. I didn't try anything crazy like 40,000 though. One shot I quickly took of my girlfriend was at ISO 1000 (we get up real early for work when the sun still isn't up) and there was some noise in the OOF areas but on her face the detail was really impressive, almost like I was shooting ISO 640 max. In all honesty I'm not the type to spot a huge difference since IMO the lens you use would have a greater effect than the body so when reviewing and playing with the files in LR I felt like I was using my 6D or M5.

Some quick things to note.

- Although it doesn't affect the RAW images, the picture style was set to auto and it did not look good in the previews. It's good to set up the picture styles before doing anything and all the other small settings like high exposure NR which can give you a bad impression if you're going off what you see on the back of the camera.

- Just like the 5D4, if you leave all the lens correct settings on enabled, then you will get the black circle with third part lenses. I had to turn off everything but CA correction for my Sigma 85mm to stop having the crop circles :p

- Most of my lenses needed AFMA on my 6D so I was holding off on judging certain aspects until I could dial in the right value for each lens.

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Jul 26, 2017 18:42 |  #8

davesrose wrote in post #18412021 (external link)
Can't think of a better member to have received his 6D2 and started this thread! Enjoy and look forward to seeing your photos/impressions.

Thank you! I plan to walk home from work tomorrow and try do some street shots with it to give it a real test.

MadMadge wrote in post #18412030 (external link)
I paid full retail. This is the first time I've pre-ordered a camera. Normally I bought used or waited, so I guess I was due!

Oh well if you've never done this before then i guess it was worth paying the price then. Hopefully you get yours soon :D

ma11rats wrote in post #18412044 (external link)
Bummer about not having a cat. Was expecting an image or two of those by now.

Haha if anyone is in Sydney and will lend me their cat I'd be happy to take photos of it.

LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Jul 26, 2017 19:19 |  #9

Dlee13 wrote in post #18412066 (external link)
Most of my lenses needed AFMA on my 6D so I was holding off on judging certain aspects until I could dial in the right value for each lens.

Most of my lenses needed AFMA on my 70D and 7D2. When I upgraded to a 1DX2 and 5D4 last year, I found that none of them needed AFMA. Perhaps that will be the case for your 6D2.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Jul 26, 2017 19:26 |  #10

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18412088 (external link)
Most of my lenses needed AFMA on my 70D and 7D2. When I upgraded to a 1DX2 and 5D4 last year, I found that none of them needed AFMA. Perhaps that will be the case for your 6D2.

I only managed to test my 35mm and 85mm and found the 85mm was still spot on, but the 35mm seems to need -3. I plan to print a test chart and calibrate it properly once I'm actually home during sunlight.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Jul 26, 2017 19:33 |  #11

I'm glad to read the reports for people that own the camera and are using it. I am eagerly waiting for more reports to come in from all those that own this camera.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

xseven
80 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Jul 27, 2017 15:10 |  #12

And some raw files, please! (think of what sort of raw files you would have liked to see a month ago! :) )

joshuaraineyphotography
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Jul 27, 2017 15:43 |  #13

I'm so excited to see some photos from the 6D2!

Joshua Rainey Photography
Oregon Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oahu Wedding Photographer (external link)
Bay Area Wedding Photographer (external link)

basketballfreak6
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Jul 27, 2017 17:25 |  #14

congrats on the purchase Daniel! looking forward to your samples...very curious about high iso performance and pushing shadows at low iso (not so much about total dr, but rather how clean the shadows look when pushed, which to me is more important), been considering selling my 5d3 and buying the 6d2 mainly to use as second body to my 5d4...that articulating screen alone has me very tempted (hopefully along with improved iq compared to the 5d3)

one thing i love about the 5d4 screen is actually the fact that the previews on the back now looks more muted and realistic compared to the old 5d3 (where it looked "too good") so i'd imagine the new 6d would've gotten the same treatment

also dude when did you move to sydney, come visit me up in brissy sometimes lol

https://www.instagram.​com/tony.liu.photograp​hy/ (external link)
flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/tony​_liu_photography (external link)
5DIV, 5DIII, modified 760D, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II f/2.8, 70-200L IS II f/2.8, S150-600 f/5-6.3 SPORT, S14 f/1.8 ART, S50 f/1.4 ART, S135 f/1.8 ART, 100L IS Macro f/2.8

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Jul 27, 2017 17:35 |  #15

basketballfreak6 wrote in post #18412795 (external link)
congrats on the purchase Daniel! looking forward to your samples...very curious about high iso performance and pushing shadows at low iso (not so much about total dr, but rather how clean the shadows look when pushed, which to me is more important), been considering selling my 5d3 and buying the 6d2 mainly to use as second body to my 5d4...that articulating screen alone has me very tempted (hopefully along with improved iq compared to the 5d3)

one thing i love about the 5d4 screen is actually the fact that the previews on the back now looks more muted and realistic compared to the old 5d3 (where it looked "too good") so i'd imagine the new 6d would've gotten the same treatment

also dude when did you move to sydney, come visit me up in brissy sometimes lol

Thanks :D sadly I haven't got to use the camera as much as I'd like :( I've taken it out with me this morning but the lighting is so flat and boring so don't have anything interesting to show.

I would say so far the previews are more what you get, the M5's screen is the exact same in that regard.

Haha I moved here in April so a few months now! Will definitely come visit one day, unfortunately we got Melbourne planned first so maybe you can come visit Sydney :p

sponsored links

85,950 views & 363 likes for this thread
6D Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss and post Photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.