Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 26 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 20:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Image stacking query

rpmaurer
207 posts
Joined Aug 2010
PA
Jul 26, 2017 20:53 |  #1

I figured this may be a better place to ask this question, even though the photo will be of a natural landscape. I will be visiting a large open air pit cave in August, this pit cave has a bioluminescent fungus growing under its ledges which appear as faint blue stars. They have never been photographed, I believe because they are so faint that no one can get them in one exposure - thus my question about image stacking. Essentially I am shooting stars, except its dots of glowing fungus :lol:

Suggested references on the process? I know the basic theory of light, dark, and bias frames but I am not sure exactly what number of each, exposures, etc.

If this is not the place for this question, feel free to let me know in any way (kindest, or rudest :-) ) possible.

-Ryan

SX30IS, T3i, 18-55 IS II, 55-250 IS... life is good.

sponsored links
troypiggo
Goldmember
4,733 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Jul 30, 2017 15:54 |  #2

G'day there. Sounds interesting. This is the photo sharing section of forum, probably better off asking in the astro talk by genre section? That being said, my thoughts below...

Think the way I'd tackle it is a bit of trial and error initially. Stars and the night sky are regularly imaged, so there's plenty of advice/precedents on settings, but sounds like your fungus isn't. Hard to know if the subject (fungus) and the background are lit similar to night sky, or if brighter or less brigh etc.

Not sure what camera you're using, but assuming a relatively recent one. High-ish ISO around 1600-3200 as a starting point. You want the aperture as wide as you can while maintaining focus on target. Then you'll need to play with exposure length, try 30s as a starting point. From there, tweak the settings as needed so that the shot appears in the LCD preview like what you want to see. On a full screen monitor at 100% it may appear a bit noisy, but just focus on exposure/composition etc for the frames you're capturing.

Once you have the frame set for exp/comp, now take a bunch of the same frame - like 20-30 min. These are your "lights".

As for "darks" and "biases", I'm not sure I'd bother, although darks may be useful if you're getting lots of hot pixels even after stacking because you're not dithering.

Just my thoughts. Never shot what you're describing, but that's how I'd go about things.

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

rpmaurer
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Aug 2010
PA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by rpmaurer.
Aug 16, 2017 07:53 as a reply to troypiggo's post |  #3

Thanks! Somehow I got it to work...

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4405/36203487530_d7b4cc6299_b_d.jpg

SX30IS, T3i, 18-55 IS II, 55-250 IS... life is good.

kezug
Joined Mar 2010
N.W. Indiana
Post has been edited 4 months ago by kezug.
Aug 18, 2017 06:10 |  #4

rpmaurer wrote in post #18429060 (external link)
Thanks! Somehow I got it to work...

QUOTED IMAGE

rpmauer,

I feel you have created something very special with those shots/stacked image above. This is about one of the coolest and very unique things I have seen especially given your brief description you gave above.

I have a feeling this photo is going to put you on the map so to speak (cover of a magazine, contests winning photo, flickr explore, etc...)

I am serious...please share with us where this photo takes you...get ready for a fun ride :)

Please share with us your setup/camera and post processing steps.

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

RedHeart
Joined Oct 2012
Aug 18, 2017 14:45 |  #5

Great shot, Ryan. Great shot!!!

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Aug 21, 2017 18:54 |  #6

Nailed it!

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

sponsored links

930 views & 13 likes for this thread
Image stacking query
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.