Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 28 Jul 2017 (Friday) 09:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

External Hard Drives........Desktop vs. Portable for iMac

Nick5
Goldmember
2,908 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Nick5.
Jul 28, 2017 09:12 |  #1

Having just upgraded to a new 27" 2TB iMac, I exported all of my Master images from Aperture structure (G-Drive Desktop) to 2 2TB LaCie Ruggeds to new folder structure that will allow me then import into Lightroom. This will allow me to keep the same structure as my Lightroom Catalog. Yes there is a way to import from Aperture more easily, but it adds to collections.
Since I will have to import the images on to yet another HD, I will ask at this time what most of you are using as your Primary working drives on an iMac or other Desktop computers. Desktop AC powered or the smaller USB portables?
Are there any issues with long term durability as this primary drive will not travel much at all if ever. Are the portables becoming more reliable. All back ups will go to Lacie Rugged or equivalent for off site storage.
Just thinking ahead.
Thanks.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,012 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jul 29, 2017 12:52 |  #2

I always use the portable ones since there's one less power cord and brick. I don't know if there's any difference in reliability between the two. If anything, the portable ones might have an edge in that respect because they produce less heat.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,907 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jul 29, 2017 20:09 |  #3

I've now collected quite a few WD Passport portable drives. I like them for their size and convenience: I can slip them in my computer bag. They seem pretty reliable and make file transfers of video files a breeze. I have a SATA 7TB drive I took from an extra workstation and bought a drive enclosure for it. I think the main feature of powered external drives is that they can support larger sizes or RAID configurations.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,866 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jul 31, 2017 14:56 |  #4

Use a good brand, ideally one with a fan. If you want multiple drives get a docking station like this one (external link) and good brand 3.5" drives - HGST (external link) are good.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Jul 31, 2017 16:22 |  #5

Nick5 wrote in post #18413232 (external link)
Desktop AC powered or the smaller USB portables?
Are there any issues with long term durability as this primary drive will not travel much at all if ever. Are the portables becoming more reliable.

A few things to consider, and I'll use WD as an example.

With a USB portable you may not have a choice of speed - 5400 or 7200 rpm. Mostly I see only 5400 speeds.

Some portable drives include proprietary software installed. For example, WD Elements is mostly a bare HD,
where the Passport series includes cloud back-up and Hard Disk Encryption and back-up software.

Besides the HD, the USB portables may also include power supply circuitry or a small fan.
These are items that can fail besides the HD. Something to be aware of.

Is a portable USB drive any less reliable than a HD in a dock?
I can't answer that, but from reading computer forums and looking at
amazon's buyer reviews I don't see any reliability issues with the portables.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

658 views & 0 likes for this thread
External Hard Drives........Desktop vs. Portable for iMac
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.