Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 29 Jul 2017 (Saturday) 23:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is it too late to order a Solar Filter for the Eclipse?

Inspeqtor
Chuckmeister? Really people??
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Jul 29, 2017 23:48 |  #1

I have a friend who wants to shoot the eclipse, I told her what she needs, but also said it may be harder now to find the filter.

Does anyone here know of the best place that would still have any in stock?

She owns the Sigma 150-600 with a 95MM filter ring.

Thank you for any help you can give me, and her!

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II *** iOptron 3302W Star Tracker

sponsored links
Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Jul 30, 2017 16:15 |  #2

She was able to order one from B&H

Charles
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II *** iOptron 3302W Star Tracker

spotz04
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Local Yocal, USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by spotz04.
Jul 30, 2017 18:05 |  #3

Amazon still has Thousand Oaks solar sheet film in various sizes. I posted in another thread how to make your own.
http://photography-on-the.net ...read.php?t=1480917&​page=2

TCampbell
Joined Apr 2012
Aug 01, 2017 12:53 |  #4

Some places are starting to run out.

The pre-made filters ran out first (those are very hard to find now) but mostly the film, cardboard glasses and cards were still easy to find.

But now I'm starting to notice some places even running out of the glasses & cards. So I'd definitely encourage your friend to put some priority on ordering something with all due haste. I'm guess you won't find pre-made filters, but you should be able to buy the solar material (the film) and make your own filter using some cardboard. Most people will just find a cardboard tube large enough to fit over the lens and cut a pice of film to cover one end of the tube.

It will have wrinkles ... but even pre-made filters have wrinkles (the wrinkles don't have any noticeable effect on the optical quality ... in fact I have a newer filter that uses film which gives me an image sharper than one of my older filters that uses real glass.)

spotz04
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Local Yocal, USA
Aug 04, 2017 17:00 |  #5

Amazon has the white filter sheet coming in stock on the Aug 13th, w/prime shipping

Baader AstroSolar Visual Solar Filter Film (external link)

Littlefield
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
SC, USA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Littlefield. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 04, 2017 17:13 |  #6

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...mm_white_light_sola​r.html (external link)

The MrStarGuy solar filter has that material.
Quote:
The company Baader Planetarium has moved beyond Mylar and designed a specialty AstroSolar safety film. It’s a high-strength polymer that’s metalized on both sides. Solar filters made with this material are durable and they give you a natural white image of the Sun. They also result in very good white-light solar images at high magnification. The filters are mounted in mechanical cells without added stress to help maintain high-image quality over a wide range of operating temperature. Don’t be surprised to see wrinkles in these thin-film filters when they are mounted in a cell. The wrinkling does not affect image quality.
The filter material carries a ISO 12312-2 international standard.

https://www.mrstarguy.​com/category-s/1952.htm (external link)
Don

thoff
136 posts
Joined Apr 2006
MO
Aug 04, 2017 17:56 |  #7

I just went to the local welding shop and they had a display for 3x5 pieces of glass for welding helmets setup that is safe for viewing the eclipse. I bought a couple of them as they were only a $1.65 each. It was a sunny day so I stepped outside and held it up and looked right at the sun with no issues.
Just an option I think.
Tom

1D Mark II Tamron 28-75 F2.8

sandwedge
Joined Aug 2011
Atlanta, GA
Aug 04, 2017 18:08 |  #8

I just finished making a filter for my Sigma 150-600C. I'm horrible at DIY projects, so if I can do it anyone can.

I bought this step up ring:

https://www.amazon.com ...ords=AR+95mm+step+u​p+ring (external link)

... and some Thousand Oaks Solar Filter Film (I bought 6x6 but 4x4 would work)

I cut two rings out of foam poster board that I got at Hobby Lobby. Taped and glued the film inside the rings and glued the rings into the step up ring.

Results:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-tHtRDsC/0/fd171a19/XL/i-tHtRDsC-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...i-tHtRDsC-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-28PT5Xt/0/e8e27f16/XL/i-28PT5Xt-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...i-28PT5Xt-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
80D, 7D, 5D, t2i, sx50, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,397 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 04, 2017 18:08 as a reply to thoff's post |  #9

But the welders glass does not stop the damaging UV rays . However there has been plenty of talk and warning here in several different topics and people still think welders glass is ok . They are your eyes so do as you wish . However I will warn you , take care of your eyes .

thoff
136 posts
Joined Apr 2006
MO
Aug 04, 2017 18:27 as a reply to Celestron's post |  #10

Yes sir, I agree. Be safe.
I did do some research on the one I have and it does have a U6 rating for blocking UV rays which if I remember correctly is the highest rating, but do not quote me.
I was just making a suggestion but you are correct, if you do what I did please research into the glass you purchase and make sure you are safe.
Tom

thoff
136 posts
Joined Apr 2006
MO
Aug 04, 2017 19:15 |  #11

Not sure what happened to the previous post but the link was good.
This is from NASA's website:

Viewing with Protection -- Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is number 14 welder's glass. It is imperative that the welding hood houses a #14 or darker filter. Do not view through any welding glass if you do not know or cannot discern its shade number. Be advised that arc welders typically use glass with a shade much less than the necessary #14. A welding glass that permits you to see the landscape is not safe. Inexpensive eclipse glasses have special safety filters that appear similar to sunglasses, but these do permit safe viewing.

I have #14 with the proper rating so I think I will be ok.
Just research what you are buying as this will keep you safe.
Tom

spotz04
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Local Yocal, USA
Aug 04, 2017 20:56 |  #12

I cut a thousand oaks filter sheet nearly perfectly to fit inside a 105mm UV filter , then screwed it on to a 95mm step up ring. Both cost $8 each, solar film $20...Amazon. The solar sheet lays flat, no creases or wrinkles, between filter & step up ring. Used it on my Sigma 150-600 C lens today, captured the sun with two sunspots! Very pleased with results.

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Inspeqtor.
Aug 04, 2017 23:47 |  #13

Celestron wrote in post #18419460 (external link)
But the welders glass does not stop the damaging UV rays . However there has been plenty of talk and warning here in several different topics and people still think welders glass is ok . They are your eyes so do as you wish . However I will warn you , take care of your eyes .

Per Nasa (external link), a #14 (or darker) welders mask is good

Viewing with Protection -- Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is number 14 welder's glass. It is imperative that the welding hood houses a #14 or darker filter. Do not view through any welding glass if you do not know or cannot discern its shade number. Be advised that arc welders typically use glass with a shade much less than the necessary #14. A welding glass that permits you to see the landscape is not safe. Inexpensive eclipse glasses have special safety filters that appear similar to sunglasses, but these do permit safe viewing.

I am "assuming" they know what they are talking about!

Charles

spotz04
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Local Yocal, USA
Aug 08, 2017 06:06 as a reply to Inspeqtor's post |  #14

Mr Eclipse, a retired astrophysicist at NASA, states #14 welders glass is safe to use for viewing the sun when properly used.

Observing Eclipses Safely (external link)

That guy's credentials are quite impressive, as are his eclipse photos.

HuskyKMA
"Now what?"
1,749 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Castle Rock, WA
Aug 14, 2017 01:25 |  #15

I have a DayStar universal solar filter that I'm selling in the Classifieds if anyone is looking for one.

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

sponsored links

1,907 views & 3 likes for this thread
Is it too late to order a Solar Filter for the Eclipse?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.