Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 31 Jul 2017 (Monday) 07:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

B&H deal of the day includes Benro Hybrid carbon fiber tripod

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,513 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 31, 2017 07:22 |  #1

See the deal at https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com/find/dealZone.j​sp (external link)

BENRO HFTA18CS2H Hybrid Carbon Fiber Tripod with S2H Pan/Tilt Head. $160 with savings up to $250 depending on option selected

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,457 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Jul 31, 2017 09:46 |  #2

The reviews are not at all good. Why post this?

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

John ­ from ­ PA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,513 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 4 months ago by John from PA.
Jul 31, 2017 10:55 |  #3

SkipD wrote in post #18415381 (external link)
The reviews are not at all good. Why post this?

You comments are well noted. I didn't look at the reviews and I feel it is the buyer's choice to check them and decide. For someone that rarely uses a tripod, it may well fill the bill. By the way, should you check the actual reviews one is 4/5 and quite positive and the other is 2/5 for an average of 3/5. The bad review states

This Tripod is flimsy and would not be useful for anyone wanting to shoot video. It also has no safety on the head mount. I would not buy it again.

Seems to me the bad reviewer may have had some specific needs that were not met but may not reflect on the overall quality. Keep in mind that the price represents a savings of $220 so for the casual photographer it might be fine.

Temma
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Aug 01, 2017 08:58 |  #4

John from PA wrote in post #18415431 (external link)
Seems to me the bad reviewer may have had some specific needs that were not met but may not reflect on the overall quality. Keep in mind that the price represents a savings of $220 so for the casual photographer it might be fine.

That's a point well taken.

When I was asking around on forums about tripods, I was told adamantly that I needed to spend $500+ on a tripod for features to meet criteria which I stated upfront didn't apply to me.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,743 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Aug 01, 2017 17:37 |  #5

Looks a bit on the wobbly side to me and the current price makes it only marginally cheaper than a couple of my Gitzos - I would opt for something better.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

John ­ from ­ PA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,513 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 02, 2017 14:37 |  #6

johnf3f wrote in post #18416645 (external link)
Looks a bit on the wobbly side to me and the current price makes it only marginally cheaper than a couple of my Gitzos - I would opt for something better.

When I first posted it, that was a B&H Deal Zone special at $160. I doubt you could touch a Gitzo for that price.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,743 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Aug 02, 2017 17:09 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #7

Well my cheapest Gitzo was about $132 in your money. Admittedly it was used but it was a 3 series Carbon systematic with the additional center column all in very nice condition - G1329 Mk2 + original top plate + G1318 center column. My cheapest new Gitzo was $250 (in your money) GT3320BS. My most expensive new Gitzo is a 4 series Systematic (GT4542LS) direct from Gitzo UK for $495 a few months ago.

Over here Gitzo stuff is not necessarily silly money new and pretty cheap second hand if you hunt about a bit. Britain isn't always a ripoff!

All the best.

John ­ from ­ PA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,513 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 4 months ago by John from PA.
Aug 02, 2017 17:23 |  #8

johnf3f wrote in post #18417678 (external link)
Well my cheapest Gitzo was about $132 in your money. Admittedly it was used but it was a 3 series Carbon systematic with the additional center column all in very nice condition - G1329 Mk2 + original top plate + G1318 center column. My cheapest new Gitzo was $250 (in your money) GT3320BS. My most expensive new Gitzo is a 4 series Systematic (GT4542LS) direct from Gitzo UK for $495 a few months ago.

Over here Gitzo stuff is not necessarily silly money new and pretty cheap second hand if you hunt about a bit. Britain isn't always a ripoff!

All the best.

Excluding the used item, prices like what you mention I think would be hard to find in the States. A quick search on B&H which typically has good prices, and just a simple sort from low to high price, indicates the low end around $900 w/ball head and about $615 no head. Putting in to show Gitzo only between $100 and $500 confirms the price range as not having anything, at least with respect to Gitzo.

Personally, when I was shopping for a new tripod about four years ago to replace a 20 year old unit, I felt the Gitzo's were wonderfully made but also way overpriced. My carbon Manfrotto was about $350 with a ball head. I was able to compare the two brands side by side and just could not see what the incremental cost delivered in incremental quality and/or features.

johnf3f wrote in post #18417678 (external link)
Over here Gitzo stuff is not necessarily silly money new and pretty cheap second hand if you hunt about a bit. Britain isn't always a ripoff!All the best.

I wonder if that will be true after "brexit"?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Aug 02, 2017 17:26 |  #9

Neewer has been making some very good products, and this seems to get good reviews. Plus Amazon customer service is great, so if you buy it for $110, and don't like it with your equipment, send it back.

https://www.amazon.com ...&psc=1&smid=AL7LHK6​Q9LVTS (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,743 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Aug 02, 2017 17:43 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #10

Brexit?vmad Who knows? I suspect that Euro prices may not change but at the rate Sterling is diving then they will probably be more expensive by the time UK customers can get their hands on them.

I agree with you on US prices for Gitzo/Manfrotto - but we have the reverse over here. A while back a friend bought an RRS 3 series tripod and very nice it was too! Unfortunately (here) the same RRS TVC33 tripod currently costs more than my entire current Gitzo collection cost! That is (bought new) GT3320BS, GT2531, GT4542LS, GM2541 and used GT1550T and G1318!

At the offer price of $160 that tripod does look a wee bit better! However that wasn't the price I saw when I clicked the link - hence my post.

All the best and please spare a thought for the UK as we disappear into economic obscurity.

sponsored links

898 views & 1 like for this thread
B&H deal of the day includes Benro Hybrid carbon fiber tripod
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.