Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 01 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 12:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photographer Wins Million Dollar Lawsuit

Pinto
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Idaho
Aug 01, 2017 12:04 |  #1

https://petapixel.com ...after-album-cover-fracas/ (external link)

http://dfw.cbslocal.co​m ...against-dishonest-couple/ (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,824 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 01, 2017 12:56 |  #2

Some comments: http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​484396

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Michael101
74 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Tucson, Az
Aug 01, 2017 17:06 |  #3

The Washington Post has a good article about this.

They trashed their wedding photographer over a $125 fee, so a jury told them to pay her $1 million (external link)

sjnovakovich
Joined Aug 2007
Central PA
Aug 02, 2017 09:21 |  #4

I've mixed feelings about this. After charging $6000 for the wedding shoot, I think that adding $150 for an album cover is excessive. Should her business have been ruined over it, no ( and I doubt that it suffered that badly), but then again that judgement is ridiculous.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Aug 02, 2017 09:27 |  #5

sjnovakovich wrote in post #18417262 (external link)
I've mixed feelings about this. After charging $6000 for the wedding shoot, I think that adding $150 for an album cover is excessive. Should her business have been ruined over it, no ( and I doubt that it suffered that badly), but then again that judgement is ridiculous.

If you read through the history, she is very famous and was booked 2 years in advance, making 6 figures a year. Yes her business was hit from this and will continue to do so for a while. Whether her livelihood was hurt for 5 years, who knows, but it is what it is. It is a trend these days for people to be completely disrespectful, and unethical, and think they can get away with it. I don't have an issue with the verdict at all, it has no impact on me anyways, but perhaps these people might mature a bit and get a clue after this? ;)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Aug 02, 2017 09:47 |  #6

It was all in the agreement. If the clients didn't like the $150 surcharge, they could have walked away. I resent being charged $5 for a drink on a plane when I have just paid $500 for a ticket, but it is what it is.

And her business was clearly affected. Her bookings went from 70-100 down to 2 in the next season.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,147 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Wilt. 8 edits done in total.
Aug 02, 2017 09:59 |  #7

A write-up on this saga says that the charge for the album cover was $125, and the photographer said that she would absorb the cost as a concession. Consider this...from way back in the 1990's, I have a spreadsheet of wedding album cover retail prices, and 25% of the products were >$100, with $130 the price of 4 of them...in 1990!
I used Art Leather Futura covers, and my cost was almost $50 for the cover with mat for cover photo, and mats and pages all cost extra.

Apparently Bridezilla&G failed to fulfill their end of the wedding contract, in not providing an order form and selection of a cover photo for the album to the photographer, which would allow completion of the album, so it seems maligning the photographer after claiming the photog was "holding their photos hostage," was groundless.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,107 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Aug 02, 2017 12:07 |  #8

If you were to learn all the facts of this case, you would agree the ruling was fair and reasonable. Many feel one of the local news stations acted irresponsibly as well.

StarJack
548 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Aug 02, 2017 12:43 |  #9

Based solely on a news article and no other information, I wonder if the award was sufficient.

Regards,
Steve

sponsored links

1,851 views & 4 likes for this thread
Photographer Wins Million Dollar Lawsuit
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.