Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 01 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 14:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

You should see these SL1 photos...

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Aug 01, 2017 14:35 |  #1

These are NOT my photos (but I wish they were ;-)a )

I found these while surfing flickr. A large number were taken with the Canon SL1.
Just shows that one doesn't need super expensive gear to get fantastic photos.

Maybe the Dr. is a member here?

Enjoy...

https://www.flickr.com ...ms/with/72157666725​094785 (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 2 months ago by DaviSto.
Aug 01, 2017 15:59 |  #2

Good point ... well made. It puts a lot of the discussion going on currently about the supposed deficiencies of a newly issued Canon FF camera firmly back in its place.

Of course, the SL1 is actually an amazing little camera and a joy to use. I love it. But I haven't shot a single image remotely approaching the quality of Dr. Hans Allender's ordinary fare. Kudos!

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Aug 01, 2017 16:04 |  #3

Those look to me like pictures that were taken by someone that happens to be a good photographer.......

.......regardless of what camera you put in his hands.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

davesrose
Goldmember
2,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Aug 01, 2017 16:18 |  #4

The style looks a bit over-saturated for my preferences, but it's apparent that the skill of the photographer is the most important feature of a successful photo. The SL1 is a great value for offering the versatility of a DSLR and smaller EF-S lenses. Also depends on environment and intent. Some beginner photographers are better then others, because they have a natural eye for composition.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Archibald.
Aug 01, 2017 16:41 |  #5

The SL1 is maybe looked down upon by some because it is a low-cost Rebel. Its cost and stature belie the quality of photos it makes.

Most of us have way more camera than we need. Even phone cameras are adequate for many situations.

I use my SL1 as a light-weight camera for walk-around shooting, things like exploring areas while on vacation, and also for family, kids, etc. It is a wonderful camera and produces excellent images.

The SL1 replaced my Rebel XSi, and at the time I wondered about the wisdom of making the change, because the XSi was still taking terrific photos. There really wasn't anything wrong with the pics it was making.

Now the SL2 is out, and I am wondering again if I should make a move. For sure the SL2 is a better camera - but will it make any difference for the kinds of shots I do with this camera? I doubt it, so I will not upgrade for now.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Aug 01, 2017 16:57 |  #6

saea501 wrote in post #18416575 (external link)
Those look to me like pictures that were taken by someone that happens to be a good photographer.......

.......regardless of what camera you put in his hands.

Yes ... photographer, first by such a long, long way! ... kit, a long way back.

But you would not think that from the huge volume of recent posts swooning over tiny advantages in dynamic range or desperately despairing some fractional lack of them in recently released cameras.

It seriously calls into question the most basic aptitude for photography of the perennial complainers.

saea501
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Aug 02, 2017 06:38 |  #7

DaviSto wrote in post #18416604 (external link)
Yes ... photographer, first by such a long, long way! ... kit, a long way back.

But you would not think that from the huge volume of recent posts swooning over tiny advantages in dynamic range or desperately despairing some fractional lack of them in recently released cameras.

It seriously calls into question the most basic aptitude for photography of the perennial complainers

The amount of fretting and hand wringing over the 'recently released camera' has provided me with a great deal of entertainment in the past few weeks.

When the original 6D was released, and every day thereafter, it was the horribly poor AF system. Which, by the way, I'm still waiting to experience. Now, with the release of the 6D ll, its the horribly poor dynamic range. Which, I'm sure, the new owners of this camera are still waiting to experience.

But hey.......I guess you gotta have something to fret about.

Bob

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Aug 02, 2017 11:31 |  #8

I cannot say I like those photos. Many many shots posted here by the POTN members are much more interesting, better composed, and of better quality. But the main issue here is that they show the limitation of the camera. Not enough dynamic range, many shots have blown highlights. Photos taken under less than optimal lighting exhibit noise. If it were me, I would probably move to a better camera at this point.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Aug 02, 2017 12:13 |  #9

Lbsimon wrote in post #18417350 (external link)
But the main issue here is that they show the limitation of the camera. Not enough dynamic range, many shots have blown highlights. Photos taken under less than optimal lighting exhibit noise. If it were me, I would probably move to a better camera at this point.

Uh-oh, here we go again :rolleyes:

Lbsimon
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Lbsimon.
Aug 02, 2017 12:30 |  #10

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18417390 (external link)
Uh-oh, here we go again :rolleyes:

No, it is not "go again". This is what went through myself. I am now looking at the pictures that I shot with the XSi, the T2i, etc., compare them with that I do nowadays, and I am like: Why did I not have a better camera then?!

As far as me not particularly liking the photos - well, everybody's different.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Aug 02, 2017 13:21 |  #11

Lbsimon wrote in post #18417409 (external link)
No, it is not "go again". This is what went through myself. I am now looking at the pictures that I shot with the XSi, the T2i, etc., compare them with that I do nowadays, and I am like: Why did I not have a better camera then?!

Ok, well said.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Aug 02, 2017 13:37 as a reply to Lbsimon's post |  #12

I haven't had that sentiment. It could be that you have gained more skills in exposure/composition with your progression in digital bodies. My first camera was a 5Dc, and coming from film, was floored by how great the high ISO was yet it had limited DR. I learned to ETTR or make use of bracketed exposures. Once on a trip to San Diego, my 5D died (wound up being a bead of sweat got in it). I wanted to keep taking photos, so I went to the local Office Depot and bought a XSi kit. I've revisited those photos and have printed them up to 19x13. I've also been impressed that the older RAWs seem easier to PP with newer software (there's less noise if I pull shadows then the old ACR). I've found with the more modern 5D3, I have much better tools for AF, I don't have to spend as much time spot metering, and I don't have to rely on ETTR all the time. I could see wanting to upgrade to FF if you're a low light shooter. Anyway, my point is that when I look at my older 5Dc and XSi files, I have the opposite reaction: that the IQ and exposure latitude is better then what I remembered.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

saea501
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Aug 02, 2017 13:53 |  #13

Is it just barely possible that you are now a better photographer than you were a few years ago?

Bob

Lbsimon
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Aug 02, 2017 15:32 |  #14

saea501 wrote in post #18417512 (external link)
Is it just barely possible that you are now a better photographer than you were a few years ago?

This is a given. Of course I am much better now than ten years ago when I got my first DSLR. I took many classes, in person and online, learned to use the LR, learned a lot from the POTN members - the amount of collective knowledge here is just amazing. And that progress in becoming a better photographer made me acquire more and more capable cameras, as I was able to see the difference between new and old.

It is probably true that had I got a better camera than the XSi then, I would would have probably not known how to use it. But at the same time it is also true that it would have probably helped me to take better shots. Hard to say now.

One thing I know for sure (even though it is not directly related) that right off the start I should have bought the best lenses that I could afford instead of trying (relatively) inexpensive stuff. I would have spent less money over time overall. E.g., in progression, I had 55-250, Tamron 70-300 VC, Sigma 120-400 OS, and now I have the 100-400 II. Should have started with the latter right away! :-)

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,832 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Austin (near TX)
Aug 02, 2017 16:36 |  #15

This is exactly how I feel. APS-C sensors in general don't deliver the kind of crispness and color depth that I see in dimensionally larger sensors.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

sponsored links

1,935 views & 6 likes for this thread
You should see these SL1 photos...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.