Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 02 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 21:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Video format help

net_tech
494 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Bucks County, PA
Aug 02, 2017 21:05 |  #1

Hi Everyone!

I have a video file which according to the header is in AVC format, however I am unable to convert it to an MP4 or even playback on my system.

Is anyone familiar with the format I am dealing with ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Complete file is 1GB in size, a small section of the video 30MB can be downloaded here
https://drive.google.c​om ...2eC1jejA/view?usp=s​haring (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 40D, 24-70 L f/2.8, 70-200 L II f/2.8, 100 L f/2.8 IS, 580EX II x 2
FOR SALE:
Flash Strap | SNOOT

sponsored links
SailingAway
275 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Post has been edited 3 months ago by SailingAway.
Aug 02, 2017 21:35 |  #2

I'm on a tablet at the moment, so I'm not going to download the file right now.

There are three tools that can help, they're all cross-platform. You do need to be discriminating about where you download them from, only download from the developers' sites, and only click on the actual links you want!

MediaInfo (external link) - will analyze your file, and give you more info about what format it is. Select one of the advanced views to see all details! The Mac App Store version has a small fee, but there is a free download on the site, too.
VLC Media Player (external link) - will play about anything, using the versatile ffmpeg library.
Handbrake (external link) - will convert to a vanilla MP4, using the best MP4 encoder out there.

AVC is a container format for h.264/MP4 encoded video. The three file specs are closely related, but, some manufacturers give them a bit of a tweak, as they are open specs.

These are three great tools I use all the time...

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by davesrose.
Aug 02, 2017 23:40 |  #3

AVC is the common container for blu-ray authoring. It's hard to offer any more advice without knowing what software you have. If you're just looking to extract certain streams from the file (be it video, audio, subtitles)...there are freeware demux programs for that task. You're probably running into problems because it's not a single video file, but a container with several tracks.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

rosh4u
44 posts
Joined Jun 2017
Surat, India
Aug 03, 2017 00:02 |  #4

SailingAway wrote in post #18417905 (external link)
I'm on a tablet at the moment, so I'm not going to download the file right now.

There are three tools that can help, they're all cross-platform. You do need to be discriminating about where you download them from, only download from the developers' sites, and only click on the actual links you want!

MediaInfo (external link) - will analyze your file, and give you more info about what format it is. Select one of the advanced views to see all details! The Mac App Store version has a small fee, but there is a free download on the site, too.
VLC Media Player (external link) - will play about anything, using the versatile ffmpeg library.
Handbrake (external link) - will convert to a vanilla MP4, using the best MP4 encoder out there.

AVC is a container format for h.264/MP4 encoded video. The three file specs are closely related, but, some manufacturers give them a bit of a tweak, as they are open specs.

These are three great tools I use all the time...

Yes, correct AVC is container format. Tools mentioned can be reviewed.

net_tech
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Bucks County, PA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by net_tech.
Aug 03, 2017 08:37 as a reply to SailingAway's post |  #5

VLC Media Player is unable to play the file in question. When I try to open the video, VLC window changes its size a few times, but does not display any video.

MediaInfo does not seem to show anything helpful.

Here is a little bit more info about my issue.

A 5 hour long video is hosted here
[Removed]

I need to cut out a small section of this video for the project I am working on. I recorded the screen with snag-it, but the video I got has a lip-sync problem and the quality is even worse than the original which is not great to begin with.

So I thought I could get the original video from IE cache and export the part that I needed without the loss of the quality.

Thanks

Edit: I was able to find and obtain the original mp4 file

GET /MiamiFL/1589_480.mp4 HTTP/1.1
Host: mediahttp.iqm2.com
Connection: keep-alive
Accept-Encoding: identity;q=1, *;q=0

Canon 40D, 24-70 L f/2.8, 70-200 L II f/2.8, 100 L f/2.8 IS, 580EX II x 2
FOR SALE:
Flash Strap | SNOOT

shumicse
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Aug 10, 2017 04:26 |  #6

You can convert the AVC file to MP4 by following any of the processes mentioned here https://videoconverter​.wondershare.com ...t-avchd/avchd-to-mp4.html (external link) , good luck.

sponsored links

1,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Video format help
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.