Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 02 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 21:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shots that are becoming extinct.

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Aug 02, 2017 21:47 |  #1

I was at Joshua Tree NP during July's new moon phase shooting all night long. I didn't even plan or think about shooting the arch at White Tank. I drove by White Tank around midnight coming from the Cholla garden. Cars were lined up on the main road. Lights were flashing from the arch area. It was like a rave.

Seems to me it might be impossible to get a milky way shot at the arch these days.

Any other places like this? Just way too crowded to attempt?

I suspect Horseshoe Falls in Yosemite during "Firefall" season may be on the verge of the same fate.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

sponsored links
patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Aug 05, 2017 12:28 |  #2

There are a few places that are awfully crowded. There is also the question of how creative you are when you go and stand in the same spot a few zillion other people have already been and taken a photo, you aren't getting anything original or unique. I have a few shots from such places, and on the one hand they are crowded for a reason - they do give you great shots - on the other, as I said, they've all been done.

Maroon Bells in the fall, the lake is virtually lined elbow to elbow with people, beginning before sunrise. Mesa Arch, Delicate Arch, always have people hanging around shooting photos. There are others, but I have some personal experience with those spots and it's difficult.

Flickrexternal link

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Aug 05, 2017 13:16 |  #3

That's funny, I went out to the Arch on a moonless night when I lived there and I had it all to myself. It really depends on the time of year. Oddly, I've never encountered another photographer when I've been shooting in JT, but I've had nights where I've had to dodge them when I was leaving or going in. I remember one night when the MW rose about an hour before the full moon. I went, shot some star trails and a MW shot, and on my way out I was dodging tripods left and right, in my car, while driving down the road. :eek:-?:-P Tripods were stacked in the street like runners staggered at a track meet. It was nuts. People were everywhere.

National Parks are pretty much like that from my experience. When we went to Yosemite people were setting up to shoot half dome hours before sunset. I took a picture of all the photographers at Glacier Point, it was insane. It was like the kind of crowds you see at parades or fireworks shows, only they all had tripods. If you're patient, and willing to sacrifice a large portion of your day getting to the "good spot" before anyone else then you can still get those shots. Personally, my wife and kids would kill me if I insisted on doing that. I'd rather be getting portraits of my kids at golden hour than standing shoulder to shoulder with 50-60 other photographers hoping to get the shot. Bear in mind too that some photographers aren't exactly considerate in those situations either. It's just not worth it to me.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 05, 2017 13:17 |  #4

Just explore a bit and find some location that has appeal, and the side advantage that it probably hasn't been shot to death. Then keep it secret.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Aug 05, 2017 16:24 |  #5

Alveric wrote in post #18419936 (external link)
Just explore a bit and find some location that has appeal, and the side advantage that it probably hasn't been shot to death. Then keep it secret.

Some people do that, including me, although no one knows me so I'm not influential that way. I was talking to a professional photographer a couple of weeks ago, we were both trying to get something on top of Independence Pass (there, I spilled it), and he said if he posts a picture on social media somewhere he won't name the place. I also saw a photo from Michael Frye on his blog, another professional photographer, he had a nice lake shot taken in Colorado and I left a comment asking where the lake was, he replied that he didn't want to disclose the location because it had so far remained relatively undiscovered.

Flickrexternal link

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,082 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 07, 2017 17:15 |  #6

I would of just gotten a wider shot of the MW w/ all the tripods and photogs... I mean they stay relatively still too so it could of worked. That would of been unique lol

I'm amazed how some photographers can pull off amazing shots in the most unusual of spots. I don't really have an eye per se for photography. Oh well.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Aug 10, 2017 09:32 |  #7

Not specifically about photography, but related to the crowding comments -

http://e360.yale.edu ...g-americas-national-parks (external link)

Flickrexternal link

01Ryan10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Aug 10, 2017 09:50 |  #8

patrick j wrote in post #18423938 (external link)
Not specifically about photography, but related to the crowding comments -

http://e360.yale.edu ...g-americas-national-parks (external link)

I saw the picture of the Zion Narrows and was like, "hmm...that's a bit crowded". I then scrolled further down and saw the Half Dome picture and was like, "Wow...WTF"?

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Aug 10, 2017 09:53 |  #9

Having just moved to the mountains of north Georgia I have found that "tourist season" is like a disease. Their everywhere! When meeting one, I'll ask if they've seen the angry bear that's reported nearby and that seems to remind them they have an appointment elsewhere.............​..

Of course that's not true but I have to get creative when wanting to shoot a popular location. Arrive extremely early(apparently tourist don't like to get out of bed), stay late, pick days when the weather is bad(apparently tourist don't like to get wet or cold), wait until "tourist season" is over(I've discovered that most tourist have to work), etc., etc...............

tw
Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.

www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Aug 10, 2017 12:59 |  #10

photosbytw wrote in post #18423969 (external link)
Having just moved to the mountains of north Georgia I have found that "tourist season" is like a disease. Their everywhere! When meeting one, I'll ask if they've seen the angry bear that's reported nearby and that seems to remind them they have an appointment elsewhere.............​..

Of course that's not true but I have to get creative when wanting to shoot a popular location. Arrive extremely early(apparently tourist don't like to get out of bed), stay late, pick days when the weather is bad(apparently tourist don't like to get wet or cold), wait until "tourist season" is over(I've discovered that most tourist have to work), etc., etc...............

Considering that we're all tourists when we travel to these parks. The "go at an inconvenient time" advice only works if you're local.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Aug 10, 2017 13:08 as a reply to Scatterbrained's post |  #11

Not really..............bu​t, I was being silly.......and speaking for myself.

tw
Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.

www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,964 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Picture North Carolina.
Aug 12, 2017 01:02 |  #12

It's over

http://www.latimes.com ...c-20170809-htmlstory.html (external link)

and:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=8NpeKclZ9ow (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=cj9wWEWpSD4 (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=ts1_sc3_Yjc (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=0MaMOSSJ3uo (external link)

Website (external link) |

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Sep 27, 2017 09:40 |  #13

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18424093 (external link)
Considering that we're all tourists when we travel to these parks. The "go at an inconvenient time" advice only works if you're local.

I don't understand this statement. . If you are non-local, then why wouldn't you be able to go at an inconvenient time?

Inconvenient means inconvenient - in that one will have to make big sacrifices and have a lot of scheduling conflicts. That's what inconvenient means. . So, if one is willing to be majorly inconvenienced, and make huge sacrifices with respect to job and family, why wouldn't they be able to go at such a time?

When someone says something like, "I can't go at an inconvenient time", it makes me think that they are trying to find an inconvenient time that is, well, convenient........whic​h is missing the point.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Sep 27, 2017 10:53 |  #14

Tom, you're statement their is a fare assessment.

One can find piece with a little work.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,949 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 27, 2017 11:07 |  #15

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18461437 (external link)
Tom, you're statement their is . . .

Enough members post about writing clearly and correctly that I think a thread on that subject would thrive. Unfortunately, there's no place for one: it isn't photography-related. Hmm, it is forum-related . . .

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

2,133 views & 19 likes for this thread
Shots that are becoming extinct.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.