Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 02 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 21:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shots that are becoming extinct.

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Oct 04, 2017 18:34 |  #31

repete7 wrote in post #18465899 (external link)
What's the saying, "You're not stuck in a traffic jam, you are the traffic jam"?

I think some places are going to have to go to a reservation system like the wave in AZ.

I hope so! I won't visit without one. It's pointless if the places are like a trip to the local shopping mall... why bother?!

sponsored links
markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Oct 04, 2017 18:35 |  #32

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18465909 (external link)
1) any concert of the crowd / stadium and band that doesn't have 10,000 cell phones being held up

2) any bride walking up the aisle that doesn't have 20 cellphones reaching into the aisle

3) any monied asian wedding that doesnt have at least 5 family / guests with pro DSLRs and Pro glass battling for position

Ugh...exactly why I quit weddings long ago. Let uncle bob fiddle around and work for free instead of getting in my way asking questions

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Post has been edited 2 months ago by patrick j.
Oct 04, 2017 19:34 as a reply to post 18465655 |  #33

I'll admit I've stood at an overlook with a crowd a few times (I felt a bit unseemly afterwards), including just a few days ago. Those do tend to be nice photos, that overlook is there for a reason, but they also don't have much of an element of creativity about them, since everyone there is getting about the same thing. I do find it more satisfying to get some oddball photo from wandering around in the woods than getting the grand vista from a well know view point.

I wonder if part of the explanation for the crowds at these places is the photo workshop. When I was at that overlook a few days ago and started chatting with whoever was setup next to me, she was part of a large group there. As soon at the sun rose they left, which as odd, because I thought the light got a little bit better for a short while after they left. So a lot of people are apparently ok with being guided around to these places.

(i'd quote e jenner's post, but I hit a random key and the quoter deal went haywire)

Flickrexternal link

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Oct 04, 2017 20:29 |  #34

patrick j wrote in post #18466135 (external link)
I'll admit I've stood at an overlook with a crowd a few times (I felt a bit unseemly afterwards), including just a few days ago. Those do tend to be nice photos, that overlook is there for a reason, but they also don't have much of an element of creativity about them, since everyone there is getting about the same thing. I do find it more satisfying to get some oddball photo from wandering around in the woods than getting the grand vista from a well know view point.

I wonder if part of the explanation for the crowds at these places is the photo workshop. When I was at that overlook a few days ago and started chatting with whoever was setup next to me, she was part of a large group there. As soon at the sun rose they left, which as odd, because I thought the light got a little bit better for a short while after they left. So a lot of people are apparently ok with being guided around to these places.

(i'd quote e jenner's post, but I hit a random key and the quoter deal went haywire)

Agreed: It's supposed to be about the journey, and fighting it out/learning for that tough photo or composition you've tried for over several years. Instead we have a situation where it's show up at a view point, and even in the worst light, you post process your way to results. It's just very disingenuous, but looks great to ever diminishing people not 'in the know' about photography and light.

What's angering is that the ones that do have the talent and patience who do nail a photo after years and years, get dismissed as: "well, he has that nice lens/camera..." Leading people to believe that it's just another consumerist activity rather than one of perseverance and art.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,142 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Oct 04, 2017 21:23 |  #35

Without gear there is no photo

And what else are we suppose to do. Run around the world finding uncharted land.

Easier thing to do is move to Ireland. Them people are spoiled with beauty

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 04, 2017 21:57 |  #36

A lot of shots will be extinct. And that's why we have shots of them.

Mind, not condoning the destruction of habitat. But really, everything changes over time.

Frankly I have no interest of reproducing the same image that has been done thousands of time. Sure, sometimes its just about doing it yourself. But what do you really get from standing elbow to elbow with others doing the same thing, or beating them to the punch, only that, many already did that before you too. There's nothing unique going on here.

I think its much more rewarding to simply go off and find stuff that isn't ultra-popular and on a top 10 budding photographer bucket list that is overdone to the moon and back.

I know if I went to a national park and saw a line with 1,000 people in it, I'd be cussing back to my car and leaving.

And for everyone concerned with the lost potential shots and sights here on Earth, you should see the legendary tears spawning from the amount of light pollution that has ruined what you can enjoy in the sky.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380! | Canon 5D Classic Bundle for Sale! $250!

repete7
Joined Nov 2010
Oct 05, 2017 08:11 |  #37

MalVeauX wrote in post #18466216 (external link)
A lot of shots will be extinct. And that's why we have shots of them.

Mind, not condoning the destruction of habitat. But really, everything changes over time.

Frankly I have no interest of reproducing the same image that has been done thousands of time. Sure, sometimes its just about doing it yourself. But what do you really get from standing elbow to elbow with others doing the same thing, or beating them to the punch, only that, many already did that before you too. There's nothing unique going on here.

I think its much more rewarding to simply go off and find stuff that isn't ultra-popular and on a top 10 budding photographer bucket list that is overdone to the moon and back.

I know if I went to a national park and saw a line with 1,000 people in it, I'd be cussing back to my car and leaving.

And for everyone concerned with the lost potential shots and sights here on Earth, you should see the legendary tears spawning from the amount of light pollution that has ruined what you can enjoy in the sky.

Very best,

Everything does change. We started taking the kids to the Smokies before the big die off of the Eastern Hemlock trees. So, we got to see it, but that was before I had taken up photography seriously, so I don't have any good photos. I also have the remnants of chestnut trees growing on my property. I go out and say hello everyone once in a while, but I know they are doomed.

Some of the parks are promoting dark skies, which seems good at first, but then you realize how totally weird it is that you have to go to a remote area of a national park to see the stars.

Karen Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D2|Canon Eos-m|Canon ef-m 22|Samyang 14mm f/2.8|Canon 40 stm|Canon 50 f/1.8 stm|Canon FD 50mm macro|Canon Macro 100L|Canon 16-35 f/4L IS USM |Canon 24-105L IS USM II|Canon 70-300 IS II USM|Canon 100-400L|

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 05, 2017 22:55 |  #38

I grew up in Montana and Wyoming. There is no doubt, things have changed there. I'm old, so there is that. ;)

Anyway, it's a bit sad that the name "Glacier National Park" is now ironical.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Oct 06, 2017 10:58 |  #39

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18465884 (external link)
Yup Jonsrud is the one Im talking about. Its gonna be packed again tonight at sunset due to the almost full moon rising right over Mt. Hood. Im going to shoot it from my roof with a beer :)

Here is what I ended up with from Beaverton:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,206 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Oct 06, 2017 11:16 as a reply to markesc's post |  #40

Nice for all the "air space" between you and the shot. Thats what I was set up for but from my location the moon came up on the other side of the mountain.

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Oct 06, 2017 17:11 |  #41

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18467264 (external link)
Nice for all the "air space" between you and the shot. Thats what I was set up for but from my location the moon came up on the other side of the mountain.

Nice! Lets see it!

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,206 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Oct 06, 2017 18:19 |  #42

markesc wrote in post #18467448 (external link)
Nice! Lets see it!

O it did not come out how I planned and I scrapped the shot. When it comes to landscapes unless I think I might hang it on my wall I file it in the round bin and move on.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,503 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 07, 2017 05:31 |  #43

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18417915 (external link)
Any other places like this? Just way too crowded to attempt?

Google maps satellite view can help in search/discovery. Several years ago I used the technique and found a small pond along a gravel road in the Wilson Wyoming (near Jackson Hole) area. We drove in one July evening and found a cow moose and calf about 25 feet from the road. Over the years we always return to the same "unfound" spot and almost always catch unique wildlife.

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Oct 07, 2017 10:25 |  #44

John from PA wrote in post #18467699 (external link)
Google maps satellite view can help in search/discovery. Several years ago I used the technique and found a small pond along a gravel road in the Wilson Wyoming (near Jackson Hole) area. We drove in one July evening and found a cow moose and calf about 25 feet from the road. Over the years we always return to the same "unfound" spot and almost always catch unique wildlife.

This and sometimes just taking random roads with no destination other than just to take things in, and sometimes you find a sweet photo!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,269 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 07, 2017 10:56 |  #45

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18417915 (external link)
I suspect Horseshoe Falls in Yosemite during "Firefall" season may be on the verge of the same fate.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

"The Yosemite Firefall was a summer time event that began in 1872 and continued for almost a century, in which burning hot embers were spilled from the top of Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park to the valley 3,000 feet below. From a distance it appeared as a glowing waterfall. The owners of the Glacier Point Hotel conducted the firefall. History has it that David Curry, founder of Camp Curry, would stand at the base of the fall, and yell "Let the fire fall," each night as a signal to start pushing the embers over.

"The Firefall ended in January 1968, when the National Park Service ordered it to stop because the overwhelming number of visitors that it attracted trampled the meadows, and because it was not a natural event. NPS wanted to preserve the Valley, returning it to its natural state. The Glacier Point Hotel was destroyed by fire 18 months later and was not rebuilt."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

2,922 views & 22 likes for this thread
Shots that are becoming extinct.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.