Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 04 Aug 2017 (Friday) 08:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help with pricing work (well my time)

superclarkey
205 posts
Joined Apr 2012
United Kingdom
Aug 04, 2017 08:05 |  #1

I have been doing photography over 10 years, I class myself as Amateur Photographer that mainly does photography for me and me alone. I have been paid to do many things over the years but normally its to do with motorsports and or events around cars so I know what to expect from a days work, but even that wildly is different from one gig to the next, sometimes it could be almost for free and sell a few prints, other times they pay plane tickets and travel costs etc so I know the next question is kinda charge what you like and see if they are willing to pay.

I was asked to go in and do some corporate headshots for a rather large finance company for one of there small events to go on there posters and now they want me back, but as my mrs works in the company I did the last job really cheap as a way in the door, I took photos of around 12 people very quickly with a single flash bouncing it off the roof to give them some high res high key shots so there media team could work with them. I charge £150 as it was all done within 1 hour.

They want me to go back and do proper photoshoot for business card headshots and so they can blow them up (don't know what for) but instead of my same bag and flash, I will be taking my strobes with me so I can control the light and back drop.. I don't have a studio so working off site doesn't bother me etc.

Normally with the motorsports its weekends so doesn't effect my work flow (Run my own business) but they want me over in the week so I need to factor in the costs I loose to go do this.

SO question is, what kinda money would a average photographer charge to travel to them and per person etc (as they have said sometimes it might just be one person, so traveling costs most be taken into account)

Thanks for your help in advance, I don't want to be greedy but I also don't want to do it cheaply as is only ruining the market for pro-photographers etc.

Canon EOS 5D mk IV
Canon 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L USM mk II
Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L USM IS mk II

sponsored links
Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Aug 04, 2017 09:40 |  #2

First- there is no standard or average rate. Rates in your area can only be found by your own research. Second, you have already established a base value for your work with your low rate for the first job. For corporate headshots, I charge $250 an hour starting when I leave the door, add at least 1 hour for Post Processing, plus any expenses. For over 10 people I add an assistant at $300.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Aug 04, 2017 09:42 |  #3

superclarkey wrote in post #18419010 (external link)
I have been doing photography over 10 years, I class myself as Amateur Photographer that mainly does photography for me and me alone. I have been paid to do many things over the years but normally its to do with motorsports and or events around cars so I know what to expect from a days work, but even that wildly is different from one gig to the next, sometimes it could be almost for free and sell a few prints, other times they pay plane tickets and travel costs etc so I know the next question is kinda charge what you like and see if they are willing to pay.

I was asked to go in and do some corporate headshots for a rather large finance company for one of there small events to go on there posters and now they want me back, but as my mrs works in the company I did the last job really cheap as a way in the door, I took photos of around 12 people very quickly with a single flash bouncing it off the roof to give them some high res high key shots so there media team could work with them. I charge £150 as it was all done within 1 hour.

They want me to go back and do proper photoshoot for business card headshots and so they can blow them up (don't know what for) but instead of my same bag and flash, I will be taking my strobes with me so I can control the light and back drop.. I don't have a studio so working off site doesn't bother me etc.

Normally with the motorsports its weekends so doesn't effect my work flow (Run my own business) but they want me over in the week so I need to factor in the costs I loose to go do this.

SO question is, what kinda money would a average photographer charge to travel to them and per person etc (as they have said sometimes it might just be one person, so traveling costs most be taken into account)

Thanks for your help in advance, I don't want to be greedy but I also don't want to do it cheaply as is only ruining the market for pro-photographers etc.

http://www.londonfreel​ance.org ...orporate+work&subsu​bs=All (external link)

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Apr 2012
United Kingdom
Aug 04, 2017 10:34 |  #4

Thanks, I did have a quick looks but was hard to see what to charge.

Yeah I only charged £150, but I walked in took some shots, dumped the RAW files on there computer and left, so there was no editing whatsoever.

They know I did the first job very very cheap so my next invoice will set the standard moving forwards.

Canon EOS 5D mk IV

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,151 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Wilt.
Aug 04, 2017 13:01 |  #5

My approach would be to write down the various aspects of any job in a generic analysis, and then determine which components have what 'value'.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/photojobprice_zpslt41n6s3.jpg

Certain costs like automobile charges (gas, maintenance, insurance) have standardized values that change each year, like the mileage reimbursement for personal automobile use for business in your Income Tax calculation each year
Since one company is seeking your services, I assume the location is the same for each session.

Other costs are determined by how many photo sessions are being done per visit, so I put these into 'variable' costs (since sometimes one person is photographed, and other times it might be 5-6 or more)

So you want the company to know the cost to them would be the Sum of (Fixed Cost + Variable Cost + Weekday 'Opportunity costs')

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

J ­ Michael
Joined Feb 2010
Atlanta
Aug 05, 2017 15:09 |  #6

It's fine figuring in your time and expenses but don't forget your creative fee. You are not a laborer producing a commodity. Your creativity, technical skills, and ability to work with your subjects have value. Don't sell yourself short.

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Apr 2012
United Kingdom
Aug 05, 2017 15:21 as a reply to J Michael's post |  #7

Agreed.

And that is the hardest part to work out as time take is easy to work a fair price but then above and beyond is your input to making a final image.

Canon EOS 5D mk IV

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,151 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Aug 05, 2017 15:22 |  #8

J Michael wrote in post #18420018 (external link)
It's fine figuring in your time and expenses but don't forget your creative fee. You are not a laborer producing a commodity. Your creativity, technical skills, and ability to work with your subjects have value. Don't sell yourself short.

^
and that is why, in my generic spreadsheet, there are separate places to calculate for lesser skill (waiting time C) vs. 'blue collar time' (driving A) vs. skilled time 1 (shooting E) vs skilled time 2 (postprocessing F) with different rates -- for the same Hour.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,026 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Aug 09, 2017 16:27 |  #9

I say forget about the average rate. They want you back maybe because you didn't charge them a lot the first time??? Maybe you were underselling yourself? It can be a deal breaker if you begin to charge them with the average rate. If I were you, I would probably begin to up selling offering more. This way, you can justify your higher rate. Just my 2 cents...

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,528 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Sep 01, 2017 23:05 |  #10

Wilt wrote in post #18420028 (external link)
^
and that is why, in my generic spreadsheet, there are separate places to calculate for lesser skill (waiting time C) vs. 'blue collar time' (driving A) vs. skilled time 1 (shooting E) vs skilled time 2 (postprocessing F) with different rates -- for the same Hour.

I look at it in terms of: What would I have to pay someone else for each particular task? That includes the actual photography--how much would that photographer cost?

sponsored links

1,184 views & 1 like for this thread
Help with pricing work (well my time)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.