Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 04 Aug 2017 (Friday) 10:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The wonders of Lightroom

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Aug 04, 2017 10:25 |  #1

I'm usually to be found on the Canon 80D forum, but I thought I'd share this. My daughter sent me a photo taken on holiday with a mobile phone. Could I "lighten it up a bit"? I think I did rather better than that, as the "before" and "after" show. So simple, too. Lightroom, I love you!

BEFORE...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

AND AFTER...

HOSTED PHOTO

See my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,018 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Wilt.
Aug 04, 2017 10:31 |  #2

'better' is relative to the mood you want:

• I like your daughter's photo as-is, if one is looking for is a good old time 'sepia toned' photo
  • Your photo is a totally different interpretation, as a modern and somewhat avant garde richly saturated single color photo

Nothing wrong with either interpretation.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,970 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Aug 04, 2017 10:33 |  #3

Terrycanon wrote in post #18419131 (external link)
I'm usually to be found on the Canon 80D forum, but I thought I'd share this. My daughter sent me a photo taken on holiday with a mobile phone. Could I "lighten it up a bit"? I think I did rather better than that, as the "before" and "after" show. So simple, too. Lightroom, I love you!

BEFORE...

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Terrycanon in
./showthread.php?p=184​19131&i=i102493426
forum: General Photography Talk

AND AFTER...

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Terrycanon in
./showthread.php?p=184​19131&i=i27771867
forum: General Photography Talk

To be honest, I prefer the Before image.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Aug 04, 2017 11:05 |  #4

I'm guessing the photos are the wrong way round. Love the first one.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,309 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Aug 04, 2017 20:15 |  #5

It is unanimous; the first is a better product.

Tom

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Phoenixkh.
Aug 05, 2017 01:19 |  #6

Since the OP said his daughter asked if he could lighten it up a bit, I agree with Colin..... it looks like the first one was lightened up. The before and after photos probably need to be switched.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Terrycanon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Aug 05, 2017 13:27 |  #7

Thanks for the comments, but I really don't agree :-)

See my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

drdiesel1
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
NorCal
Aug 05, 2017 14:40 |  #8

I like the original, but thought it could use a crop too :-P

HOSTED PHOTO

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Aug 06, 2017 05:07 as a reply to drdiesel1's post |  #9

Don't like the crop. The shadows are a large part of the image and losing them detracts greatly in my opinion.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Aug 06, 2017 05:09 |  #10

Prefer the first image. The second one appears to have had a (too) large amount of clarity added and the yellow is quite harsh and metalic, making for a not very relaxing image.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,562 posts
Joined May 2010
Maryland, USA
Aug 06, 2017 06:31 |  #11

What did her "lighten it up" request mean? I wouldn't know how to edit a photo based on that.

The first photo can probably be improved a bit with editing, but IMO the second is not an improvement.

Wilt
39,018 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Aug 07, 2017 10:02 |  #12

Terrycanon wrote in post #18419944 (external link)
Thanks for the comments, but I really don't agree :-)

If you were an artist trying to sell exhibition photos at an 'art faire', judging by the responses of almost everyone, the 'old fashioned sepia' appearance photos would sell, but your personal favorite interpretation would be stacked up by the dozens waiting for you to take them home again at the end of the day.
You know what they say about artists having to die before anyone appreciates their art!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
39,018 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Aug 07, 2017 10:03 |  #13

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18420393 (external link)
Don't like the crop. The shadows are a large part of the image and losing them detracts greatly in my opinion.

^ exactly

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
Joined Dec 2013
Exeter, Devon
Aug 07, 2017 10:19 |  #14

personally i prefer the lighter sepia version, I think the very yellow one with extreme contrast looks worse in my opinion but if you like it and are happy who cares what i think :-)

Facebook (external link)
Sony @6000 | Sony 18-105 f4 G Series | Sony 16 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Pentacon 135mm f2.8 | Yongnuo 560EX II | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera | Zenit EM 35mm camera |

Wilt
39,018 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Aug 07, 2017 10:27 |  #15

An alternate interpretation of the original request, ""lighten it up a bit", might be to do with reducing the saturation of hue, rather than a brightness per se. Just to show a traditional sepia-toning effect...

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/sepia-1_zpse2hc6qrk.jpg

but this is just a guess. Really what is needed is a clarification from the requestor, "What do you mean by 'lighten it up'?" with a bit of a dialog to better understand what she is looking for.

sponsored links

1,229 views & 12 likes for this thread
The wonders of Lightroom
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.