Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 05 Aug 2017 (Saturday) 18:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Eclipse2017 - Your Destination?

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,806 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Texas
Aug 05, 2017 18:43 |  #1

Just curios with an informal survey here...if you plan on traveling to get in the middle of the eclipse path...where you headed...assuming the weather reports are agreeable?

I'm in Texas...taking a couple of buddies in the RV and headed to Wyoming...close to Grand Teton National Park which will be crowded, I'm sure.

What about you?

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

sponsored links
dano57
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Edmond, OK
Aug 05, 2017 21:08 |  #2

Smoky Mountains or near by.

Dan - Central Oklahoma
www.imagesbywest.netexternal link
www.classychassisphoto​.comexternal link
http://www.facebook.co​m/ClassyChassisPhotoexternal link

challer
54 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Madison, MS
Aug 05, 2017 21:43 |  #3

Silver Point, Tn, just west of Cookeville

Clay

DavidWatts
615 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Chicago Area
Aug 05, 2017 23:13 |  #4

Alliance, NE was all full up in every venue so I am camping 10 miles NW in Hemmingford, NE. If sunny, that allows 2 min 18 sec of total vs. 2 min 30 sec.

My Smugmug siteexternal link

DMax82
Joined Jan 2008
Home Again (Nashville)
Aug 06, 2017 02:29 |  #5

Somewhere around either Sparta or Spring City, Tennessee. I plan on scouting out locations this week. Not sure how crowded either area will be.

T5i. Standard Canon zoom. Big Canon zoom. Wide Canon zoom. Plasticy Canon prime. Sony a6000 and a bunch of crappy old lenses plus a Samyang 12mm 2.0. Pentax K-5. Manfrotto tripod and head.
My blog about becoming a father for the first time - The Terrified Dad (external link)

Freakdaddy
101 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Aug 06, 2017 08:56 |  #6

I'm lucky to only have to travel about 30 miles north to be near the centerline of the eclipse. Even though where I live will experience totality, I'll gain almost an extra minute by doing this and hopefully have an area that won't suffer from an abundance of people. One of the nice things of living all your life in Missouri and knowing about some "off the beaten path" places as I expect a majority of Missourians will be in their backyard or at the many events being planned at more well known locales.

stevieray
Joined Apr 2011
Orange CA
Aug 07, 2017 17:23 |  #7

Heading up to Idaho next week. They are predicting some pretty crazy number of visitors on the morning of the eclipse. Good luck all.
Best,
Steve

kinless
31 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Tustin, CA
Aug 08, 2017 03:09 |  #8

DMax82 wrote in post #18420359 (external link)
Somewhere around either Sparta or Spring City, Tennessee. I plan on scouting out locations this week. Not sure how crowded either area will be.

Our primary destination is Spring City, TN as well. Had seen an article last week saying there could be up to 9,000 people in town for the event. We'll be coming from southeast Kentucky that morning (as early as humanly possible).

EOS 50D (gripped) || 580 EX II || 50mm f/1.2L | 24-105mm f/4L IS | 17-40mm f/4L | 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II

philk54
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Macungie, PA
Aug 08, 2017 08:57 |  #9

Chained to my desk in Pennsylvania. :-(

Living vicariously through all of you!

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com (external link)

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

DMax82
Joined Jan 2008
Home Again (Nashville)
Aug 08, 2017 14:45 |  #10

kinless wrote in post #18422061 (external link)
Our primary destination is Spring City, TN as well. Had seen an article last week saying there could be up to 9,000 people in town for the event. We'll be coming from southeast Kentucky that morning (as early as humanly possible).

I hope that "we" is referring to you and the dream team! So just out of curiosity, how did you settle on Spring City? Did you do a lot of research? I'm am starting to get paranoid that everywhere is going to be super chaotic. I've only passed through Spring City once a few years ago. I know the Sparta area pretty well, and think that Scott's Gulf/Virgin Falls could be amazing.

T5i. Standard Canon zoom. Big Canon zoom. Wide Canon zoom. Plasticy Canon prime. Sony a6000 and a bunch of crappy old lenses plus a Samyang 12mm 2.0. Pentax K-5. Manfrotto tripod and head.
My blog about becoming a father for the first time - The Terrified Dad (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post has been edited 2 months ago by joedlh.
Aug 08, 2017 14:58 |  #11

I am accepting bribes from anyone who does not want me to travel to their location. The reason being that when there is an eclipse of any kind it is invariably cloudy wherever I happen to be. I haven't tested this hypothesis against a desert locale, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

kinless
31 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Tustin, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by kinless.
Aug 08, 2017 23:28 |  #12

DMax82 wrote in post #18422478 (external link)
I hope that "we" is referring to you and the dream team! So just out of curiosity, how did you settle on Spring City? Did you do a lot of research? I'm am starting to get paranoid that everywhere is going to be super chaotic. I've only passed through Spring City once a few years ago. I know the Sparta area pretty well, and think that Scott's Gulf/Virgin Falls could be amazing.

Haha, no just me and the parents. We're visiting family in Kentucky/Alabama and the totality line runs right between, so our choice was more out of convenience. Eclipse duration maps show Spring City is right on the cusp of 2m 40s near the centerline, and we didn't want to deal with what's sure to be large crowds in the bigger cities or state parks.

Don't blame you for being paranoid, nobody has any idea what spectators will do or where they'll go. I can only imagine the mad rush if clouds starting becoming an issue. Gonna be a 4 hour drive for us (assuming no traffic or weather diversions) so can't make Spring City until 9-10am EDT. (I think that's way too late!) But from the town's website and FB page, they're setting up many viewing areas, designated parking, shuttle service, etc. Some folks are even opening up their private homes/properties (for a few bucks a person) for hosting viewing parties/gatherings or overflow parking. So it sounds like they're all heavily coordinating in anticipation of what's to come.

EOS 50D (gripped) || 580 EX II || 50mm f/1.2L | 24-105mm f/4L IS | 17-40mm f/4L | 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II

sandwedge
Joined Aug 2011
Atlanta, GA
Aug 09, 2017 08:40 |  #13

Leaving Atlanta on the 19th for Murfreesboro TN, which is just inside the path of totality. If the weather forecast is for clear skies, we'll stay there and drive another hour to the centerline - somewhere near Lebanon TN on the 21st. If the forecast isn't good, we'll drive east or west looking for clear skies.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
80D, 7D, 5D, t2i, sx50, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

CatchingUp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,806 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Texas
Aug 09, 2017 08:55 |  #14

I have to say this thread is confirming earlier reports that I read...that higher concentrations of the population would descend upon the Tennessee-Kentucy region. That was my first choice to cut down on driving...but can't complain about being in Wyoming.

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Aug 09, 2017 09:07 |  #15

Not to be trusted at all this far out, but just having some fun with Accuweather:

Greenville, SC
84°
Partly sunny with a thunderstorm possible

Lebanon, TN
85°
Mostly cloudy

Jefferson City, MO
86°
A shower or thunderstorm possible

Douglas, WY
95°
Sunny and warmer (note to self...never move here!)

Salem, OR
83°
Abundant sunshine

And here's a map showing the chances of clear skies based on historical data. Looking good out west!

https://www.accuweathe​r.com ...e-eclipse-occurs/70002392 (external link)

sponsored links

1,903 views & 15 likes for this thread
Eclipse2017 - Your Destination?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.