Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 07 Aug 2017 (Monday) 14:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which clamp for my Arca-swiss p0?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 07, 2017 14:30 |  #1

I had/have a sunwayfoto clamp designed for the p0 which has served decently, but I find that it can come undone too easily, especially if (for example) I've got the setup strung over my shoulder. Don't need my tripod just falling off!

It seems the RRS clamp options are between B2-40-LR-M6 and B2-AS-II-M6. I've seen some people say the AS is too big for the head and can also interfere with the panning lock. What's the disadvantages of the B2-40? It seems slightly smaller, but the jaws don't seem much shorter?

My one worry about the B2-40 is that it appears to be an older design. Is the lever still good? Would it still be "flexible" accepting non-RRS plates? I read somewhere that their clamps at least used to not accept wide range of plates? I've got a Kirk L-bracket on my 5D Mark IV, so it's a newly-manufactured plate.

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,005 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Aug 07, 2017 14:53 |  #2

The B2-40 with 40mm jaws is plenty fine! The larger B2-AS has 60mm jaws. RRS says about both, "clamp has a NON-threaded center socket with countersink; mounting screw drops through from above into tapped female socket. (Neither clamp)... can spin onto a threaded post"; . both mouth using 1/4"-20 threaded mounting screw.

I have the B2-40LR on my RRS BH-40 head and have never found it deficient in any way for use with dSLR or medium format cameras that I have. The lever-action QR is compatible with plates that I have from Photoclam, Benro, and Sunway

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 07, 2017 15:09 |  #3

Wilt wrote in post #18421496 (external link)
The B2-40 with 40mm jaws is plenty fine! The larger B2-AS has 60mm jaws. RRS says about both, "clamp has a NON-threaded center socket with countersink; mounting screw drops through from above into tapped female socket. (Neither clamp)... can spin onto a threaded post"; . both mouth using 1/4"-20 threaded mounting screw.

I have the B2-40LR on my RRS BH-40 head and have never found it deficient in any way for use with dSLR or medium format cameras that I have. The lever-action QR is compatible with plates that I have from Photoclam, Benro, and Sunway

Hmm... I had sunway plate but mainly using Kirk as my L-bracket. But I just got this response back from RRS:

You're correct in what you've heard - we do not recommend our compact clamps for use with Kirk plates.

;(

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,005 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Wilt.
Aug 07, 2017 15:14 as a reply to kaitlyn2004's post |  #4

The issue with the RRS lever QR is that there is no single dimensional standard for the bracket width, and some so-called 'Arca-compatible' will be loose within the RRS clamp's jaws when locked because the jaws only clamp down to one preset size. The Markins lever QR has an ability to adjust, so it better accomodates the variability of different manufactures plates than the standard RRS lever.

If you have a screw action QR and not a lever action QR, the screw accommodates various width plates.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Post has been edited 2 months ago by sawsedge.
Aug 07, 2017 15:17 |  #5

RRS lever clamps made since 2012, according to their website, are self-adjusting. This is certainly true with mine (I have the B2-LR-II - not a compact clamp). I have a newer Kirk L-bracket on my 5D3 and it fits perfectly. I have an older Kirk lens plate (close to 15 years old) that is clearly thinner, but the RRS lever holds it tightly as well. All of my varied plates fit perfectly. I cannot push them out of the clamp. So if you prefer a lever release, go for it.

If I wanted a screw clamp, I think I would opt for something cheaper than RRS. If I get another screw clamp, it will have a short knob, like this: http://www.hejnarphoto​store.com/product-p/f62ab.htm (external link)

- John

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 2 months ago by kaitlyn2004.
Aug 07, 2017 15:27 |  #6

sawsedge wrote in post #18421517 (external link)
RRS lever clamps made since 2012, according to their website, are self-adjusting. This is certainly true with mine (I have the B2-LR-II - not a compact clamp). I have a newer Kirk L-bracket on my 5D3 and it fits perfectly. I have an older Kirk lens plate (close to 15 years old) that is clearly thinner, but the RRS lever holds it tightly as well. All of my varied plates fit perfectly. I cannot push them out of the clamp. So if you prefer a lever release, go for it.

If I wanted a screw clamp, I think I would opt for something cheaper than RRS. If I get another screw clamp, it will have a short knob, like this: http://www.hejnarphoto​store.com/product-p/f62ab.htm (external link)

This would actually be my first ever lever release, but I think I'd like it more!

I am currently using the p0 with a Sunwayfoto DDY-60p0 which is a clamp designed specifically for the p0, and it does fit well, but I find it comes undone too easily which makes carrying it around mounted o the tripod a scary proposition...

I guess the B2-AS-II is a definitive option then, but it seems like a far bulkier solution :(

IMAGE: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/92/1455492.jpg

IMAGE: https://res.cloudinary.com/powerreviews/image/upload/f_auto,w_613,h_768/prod/hly8x1fwl8fcpjeco1wr.jpg

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Aug 07, 2017 15:36 as a reply to kaitlyn2004's post |  #7

Do you mean the Sunway clamp loosens from the P0 easily, or the clamp itself won't hold a plate tightly?

If the former, some loctite might be the answer (blue, so you can remove it later).

Otherwise, I'd also be looking for a new clamp!

I do love my RRS lever release. It is easy to use, quick, clamps tightly, low-profile, and folds under the lens/camera so it can't catch on anything. I think it is worth the money.

- John

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 07, 2017 15:38 |  #8

sawsedge wrote in post #18421541 (external link)
Do you mean the Sunway clamp loosens from the P0 easily, or the clamp itself won't hold a plate tightly?

If the former, some loctite might be the answer (blue, so you can remove it later).

Otherwise, I'd also be looking for a new clamp!

I do love my RRS lever release. It is easy to use, quick, clamps tightly, low-profile, and folds under the lens/camera so it can't catch on anything. I think it is worth the money.

It's the latter, hence why I AM looking for a new clamp! I trust my tripod and my head, but the clamp is a disturbing single point of failure :(

I kinda just wanna avoid the "oversized" b2-as-ii if I could... Apart from being larger and having a spirit level, is the B2-AS-II in any way a "better" design? More secure or failsafe or anything like that?

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Aug 07, 2017 15:42 as a reply to kaitlyn2004's post |  #9

The AS jaws are 60mm wide so more clamping surface. In theory that will hold the plates more tightly. In practical use, I doubt you'd see a difference.

- John

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Aug 07, 2017 16:04 |  #10

A couple of side questions on your p0 Kaitlyn... what is the largest lens you use with the p0? Have you had any concerns with how it holds the weight of your gear?

Also, was the p0 locked down with loctite, or were you just able to remove the 1/4-20" screw so you could add the quick release?

- John

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 07, 2017 16:35 |  #11

sawsedge wrote in post #18421568 (external link)
A couple of side questions on your p0 Kaitlyn... what is the largest lens you use with the p0? Have you had any concerns with how it holds the weight of your gear?

Also, was the p0 locked down with loctite, or were you just able to remove the 1/4-20" screw so you could add the quick release?

I bought the version without any clamp factory installed, so I still have that 1/4-20" screw there and exposed... haven't attempted to remove it until clamp arrives

I've used it on a 100-400 II with the lens foot. Nothing with long exposures though. Shorter lens I've used it with long exposures + windy conditions. No issues. Easily my favorite head.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,439 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Charlie.
Aug 07, 2017 22:01 |  #12

you have to remove the 1/4" screw that comes with the p0 (just a little time upside down under a lighter and the locking glue comes loose). I remember advising you on a similar thread years ago, and I've been using the same RRS setup since!

one slight change, I found out that the base plate has a plastic/rubber base.... peel it off, you dont want it. The RRS clamp is bulky for sure, but it's gone through hell and back, and functions like new. Incredible clamp.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 08, 2017 07:59 |  #13

Charlie wrote in post #18421933 (external link)
you have to remove the 1/4" screw that comes with the p0 (just a little time upside down under a lighter and the locking glue comes loose). I remember advising you on a similar thread years ago, and I've been using the same RRS setup since!

one slight change, I found out that the base plate has a plastic/rubber base.... peel it off, you dont want it. The RRS clamp is bulky for sure, but it's gone through hell and back, and functions like new. Incredible clamp.

Sorry are you saying the p0 or the clamp has the rubber? Why remove it just to make it slightly more minimal?

So did you go with the b2-as or smaller b2-40?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,439 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Aug 08, 2017 08:55 |  #14

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18422150 (external link)
Sorry are you saying the p0 or the clamp has the rubber? Why remove it just to make it slightly more minimal?

So did you go with the b2-as or smaller b2-40?

the P0 has the plastic/rubber pad, that should be removed. When you purchase a p0 with clamp, there is no such plastic/rubber piece. I suspect it's there to help out if you intend to use the 1/4" thread.... which you definitely should NOT. That piece peels right off, you want metal to metal contact.

I use this clamp: http://www.reallyright​stuff.com ...II-M6-Lever-release-clamp (external link)

B2-AS-II-M6

the panning can possibly get in the way, but in practice, it does only if you twist full rotation, which there is no reason to since it only takes less than a quarter turn to tighten and remains in the down position at all times. The clamp is heavier, but in the grand scheme of tripod, camera, and other stuff, it's really a small price to pay in weight penalty.

for the countersunk screw, I'm using a titanium M6x20 if memory serves. I'm using vibra tite as a thread locker, best stuff I've ever used. The supplied two headed screw on the p0 has some thread lock, just heat it up a little and it comes right off.

I have a ton of random AS plates and the clamp seems to work with everything. Super solid connection, sunwayfoto clamp I have is not even close, easily the finest clamps I've ever used (screw/quick release). When I clamp on my 600, I'm only concerned about my legs not holding up.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 08, 2017 09:43 |  #15

Charlie wrote in post #18422188 (external link)
the P0 has the plastic/rubber pad, that should be removed. When you purchase a p0 with clamp, there is no such plastic/rubber piece. I suspect it's there to help out if you intend to use the 1/4" thread.... which you definitely should NOT. That piece peels right off, you want metal to metal contact.

I use this clamp: http://www.reallyright​stuff.com ...II-M6-Lever-release-clamp (external link)

B2-AS-II-M6

the panning can possibly get in the way, but in practice, it does only if you twist full rotation, which there is no reason to since it only takes less than a quarter turn to tighten and remains in the down position at all times. The clamp is heavier, but in the grand scheme of tripod, camera, and other stuff, it's really a small price to pay in weight penalty.

for the countersunk screw, I'm using a titanium M6x20 if memory serves. I'm using vibra tite as a thread locker, best stuff I've ever used. The supplied two headed screw on the p0 has some thread lock, just heat it up a little and it comes right off.

I have a ton of random AS plates and the clamp seems to work with everything. Super solid connection, sunwayfoto clamp I have is not even close, easily the finest clamps I've ever used (screw/quick release). When I clamp on my 600, I'm only concerned about my legs not holding up.

Ah, you've got the larger one. I wish I could just walk into a store and confirm the smaller one works with my plate, but alas I live in Canada ;(

sponsored links

1,069 views & 3 likes for this thread
Which clamp for my Arca-swiss p0?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.